Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

4k vs 1080p?

which version of drone do you use? And the difference?
The drone is only part of the cost.
The primary difference for me is computer power & file size after the recording is done.
Even at just 1080p 30fps, my video files take up 1.8 TB.
My quad core 8gb PC takes 30 minutes to render a 5 minute movie.

Reactions: Lucky and Ty Pilot
The primary difference for me is computer power & file size after the recording is done.
Yes, often a person's computer capability to handle 4K is often overlooked when they acquire a drone with a 4K capable camera and if their computer equipment can't handle 4K they often just default to recording at 1080. Up until about this time last year my equipment couldn't handle 4K so I only recorded in 4K for commercial shoots: My editor could handle 4K but if I wanted to see the finished result on my laptop I had to render out at 1080p

That all changed when I invested into a 4K gaming tower using my 4K TV as it's viewing device. Now I can see 4K in all it's glory and rendering is like lightening. The only bottleneck is uploading to YouTube. I have hyper fast broadband but YouTube is a choke point.

Large files, yes, but I push them all onto an external hard drive only leaving copies of my most recent files on my tower.

However, I still regularly fly a P2V+ which will only record at a max of 1080p. Good enough for recreation and the odd commercial job. But you just have to behold how fast a 1080P render rips through. 4K is like lightening so you can imagine how fast 1080 is...whoooosh.

To answer the OP's question: 'which version of drone do you use? And the difference?'
a 1080p max Phantom 2 Vision Plus;
a 4K max Typhoone H480.

The difference...awesome (with a powerful enough computer to handle 4K)

Wow, that's a long time...

Guess It's something to do with the processor, which might be insufficiently powerful for encoding 4K footage at the rate you expect. Or GPU is not accelerated?
Well, as to the drone, I gave it a lot of consideration. Most brands claim their drones are equipped with 4K cameras. That's kinda new to me. I only got myself a 1080P TV at home. Don't know much about that. So I I found myself several articles related to 4k and 1080p. And what they claimed is 4K is a big breakthrough. The color handling, the resolution, the saturation and whatnot are enhanced.
If 4K is the mainstream, guess there's no need to lay my eyes on 1080P.
I heard DJI is like Rolex in the drone field. Guess I'll start from that one.

Guess It's something to do with the processor, which might be insufficiently powerful for encoding 4K footage at the rate you expect. Or GPU is not accelerated?
Well, as to the drone, I gave it a lot of consideration. Most brands claim their drones are equipped with 4K cameras. That's kinda new to me. I only got myself a 1080P TV at home. Don't know much about that. So I I found myself several articles related to 4k and 1080p. And what they claimed is 4K is a big breakthrough. The color handling, the resolution, the saturation and whatnot are enhanced.
If 4K is the mainstream, guess there's no need to lay my eyes on 1080P.
I heard DJI is like Rolex in the drone field. Guess I'll start from that one.
4K has been around for a good while now. And will shortly be superseded by 8K. Indeed, there are already some devices capable of 8K but they are still not in the mainstream...but they will be.

Your statement 'I heard DJI is like Rolex in the drone field. Guess I'll start from that one.' made me chuckle a bit. It is true that DJI is like Rolex with regard to marketing and its subsequent popularity among consumers, particularly when compared to companies like Yuneec, but at the end of the day they make drones (among other things), and their drones still have some issues just like all other brands. E.G. cracks appearing on the P3 and P4 platforms, highly restrictive and over the top NFZ, historical data farming, etc.

I say the above as the owner of both DJI and Yuneec products, so the above should be seen without any conscious bias on my part. I still regularly fly a rather elderly P2V+ mainly for recreation, but I still get a lot of pleasure flying it. It wasn't my first DJI product either...that was a P2V that I retired in Summer 2016. My current P2V+ has...and still is...very reliable but it falls short of my H480 by a long shot with regard to things like stability in strong winds...and that da.mn fish eye camera. On the other hand, my H480 has its own foibles and requires a bit more skill to fly. What you can take from this is that both have their pros and cons, but DJI being like a Rolex?...nahh, I'm not buying that.

You mean 1.8 GB. They don't make a micro sd card that large.

You mean 1.8 GB. They don't make a micro sd card that large.
I think @Sureshot is referring to the totality of his stored files...that is how I read it anyway.. Get a few hundred 1.8 GB files stored together can easily tot up to 1.8 TB. I have a similar amount of stored files on my external hard drive.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
4K has been around for a good while now. And will shortly be superseded by 8K. Indeed, there are already some devices capable of 8K but they are still not in the mainstream...but they will be.

Your statement 'I heard DJI is like Rolex in the drone field. Guess I'll start from that one.' made me chuckle a bit. It is true that DJI is like Rolex with regard to marketing and its subsequent popularity among consumers, particularly when compared to companies like Yuneec, but at the end of the day they make drones (among other things), and their drones still have some issues just like all other brands. E.G. cracks appearing on the P3 and P4 platforms, highly restrictive and over the top NFZ, historical data farming, etc.

I say the above as the owner of both DJI and Yuneec products, so the above should be seen without any conscious bias on my part. I still regularly fly a rather elderly P2V+ mainly for recreation, but I still get a lot of pleasure flying it. It wasn't my first DJI product either...that was a P2V that I retired in Summer 2016. My current P2V+ has...and still is...very reliable but it falls short of my H480 by a long shot with regard to things like stability in strong winds...and that da.mn fish eye camera. On the other hand, my H480 has its own foibles and requires a bit more skill to fly. What you can take from this is that both have their pros and cons, but DJI being like a Rolex?...nahh, I'm not buying that.
Lol, good argument. Thx for your input!

My suggestion is to shoot 4K if that resolution is available on your camera. Keep those as masters and use a free video file converter, to create 1080 size files to render. That way you never have to go back to "get it in 4K". When you upgrade your system hardware to handle 4K editing, your archived 4K masters will be there... ready for post-production.

The thread title was deceptive. This became a DJI vs Yuneec thread in the first post.
I agree. All I can do is give as un-biased opinion as possible. I'm not a Yuneec fanboy, but neither am I a dji fanboy either. Both companies produce tools to do a job and I use the tools supplied by both companies.

Many users of this forum will be quick to extol the virtues of Yuneec and will balk at the idea that another brand will be better. The truth is that both dji and yuneec produce capable tools where one is better than the other is some areas whereas the other brand will be better in other areas.

My TH480 has obvious advantages over a dji product particularly in a strong wind and a motor failure, and remains my 'go-to' aircraft for commercial jobs. But my 'old man' P2V+ wins out if I want to just chuck something in the air without too much fuss.

Yes, a DJI v Yuneec thread. Both are good in their own ways.

Reactions: PatR
Yeesh, I can crunch a 5 minute 1080P video in about 5 minutes. 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD and a 4TB HDD with a i7 3.6

I always film in 4K and render my films in Movavi That’s supports 4K.
I Fly With a Yuneec typhoon H and make the movies on my hp z notebook with a SSD harddisk and a suitable video card
I did never have a single problem.
10 minute film takes about 3 minutes to complete.
When I send the film with we transfer that takes almost longer than the time I need for editing my films.

works perfect and never want it in a other way than this setup.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval