Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Adjusting the gimbal tilt speed typhoon h plus

Reaction score
Website
www.jcommstudios.com
Anyone got any info on adjusting the gimbal tilt speed of the typhoon h plus? I recall a process I did with the H480 that made it a smooth slow tilt. I've googled it but to no avail.

Anyone got any info on adjusting the gimbal tilt speed of the typhoon h plus? I recall a process I did with the H480 that made it a smooth slow tilt. I've googled it but to no avail.
That capability to adjust control parameters was not added to the H+. The Channel Settings are not even in a hidden menu of any type.

Reactions: jcommstudios
I guess(!), there is possible to hack the controller via calibration. Especially for the tilt is important to slider be centred BEFORE the calibration process was started. Here are three possibilities: 1. The calibration is doesn't done properly and one half is faster than another;
2. The slider's potentiometer is defective itself, which is very occasionally on the ST16S;
3. The calibration is done with displacement to give a precise movement in one of the halves of the full road. The rest is jumping.

Calibration ST16S for H+ is code protected, Check the output monitor...

The only method I've seen for more precise control is using CCC mode and then transferring camera control to the right stick. It's a bit cumbersome but it does produce smooth video.
There is a beta firmware v893 for the Plus that does provide for some rate curves but not for the camera.

Reactions: jcommstudios
I guess(!), there is possible to hack the controller via calibration. Especially for the tilt is important to slider be centred BEFORE the calibration process was started. Here are three possibilities: 1. The calibration is doesn't done properly and one half is faster than another;
2. The slider's potentiometer is defective itself, which is very occasionally on the ST16S;
3. The calibration is done with displacement to give a precise movement in one of the halves of the full road. The rest is jumping.

Calibration ST16S for H+ is code protected, Check the output monitor...
@Vaklin I think you misunderstood the question but thanks for chiming in.

Probably yes. Explain, please, a bit more deeply what exactly happens and what you want to see. I have H and H+. Both work well with gimbals. Smooth slow tilt is done with smooth slow slide the slider. If all works as is necessary. Can do some experiments here if I know what the problem is...

Probably yes. Explain, please, a bit more deeply what exactly happens and what you want to see. I have H and H+. Both work well with gimbals. Smooth slow tilt is done with smooth slow slide the slider. If all works as is necessary. Can do some experiments here if I know what the problem is...
With the H480 the top two positions of the Tilt Mode switch do the same thing, there was a member that changed the settings in Channel Settings so the middle position had a slower smoother change in position. With the switch in that position you could do a reveal by having the camera pointed down at your selected angle and start your flight path for the reveal, then push the tilt slider full forward and it would do a slow reveal.

It made flying for the reveal a little easier , because you didn’t have to have the left hand on the tilt slider.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Yes. :cool: But with the H Plus, there is no need to go into the programming and change the rate curves or add expo.

The H Plus is different from the 480 in that; it has a built in function (Velocity) on the gimbal tilt switch. I have put a cutout view of the manual below but I will try to explain a little further how using the velocity mode on the Plus is different from the 480 but; allows FAR greater control ONCE, you know how to use it.

ANGLE MODE - The top and middle positions of the 3-position Tilt Switch are the same as that of the 480 - when you move the slider to a position - the gimbal tilts at a (unchangeable) constant speed until it reaches a position correlating to the point that you moved the slider.

VELOCITY MODE - The bottom switch position puts the gimbal control into 'Velocity' mode. In this mode, the gimbal can now look up AND down an additional 15 degrees beyond horizontal and vertically straight down. However - the slider now operates differently. Having the slider at center position stops movement, and moving above or below this center position begins Movement. The key is: the closer to center - the slower it moves in the selected direction and the further away - the faster it moves in the selected direction.

HOW TO USE VELOCITY MODE - The key to operation is being able to 'hear' the audible beep that indicates you are at center when you want to stop. In addition - getting used to using the gimbal rate indicator on the screen will be necessary because the gimbal now will not stop automatically at level (horizon) or straight down. Rather, once movement starts, the gimbal with continue in the direction it is heading until it reaches the plus 15 degrees up or down. So being able to manually 'hit' level horizon or any spot along the tilt path will require the operator to listen for the beep.

VELOCITY MODE IN OPERATION - Lets say for instance; you want to fly along looking forward at the level horizon, and then as you pass over something below that you want to 'slowly' reveal. This operation will require the pilot to first select velocity mode, at which point the gimbal will immediately raise above the horizon 15 degrees. You will need to the lower the gimbal by pulling the slider down and then just as the camera reaches level you will need to return the slider (listening for the beep) to center to stop the camera at center. The process of lowering the camera slowly will now require the pilot to perform the flight and at the right time begin the slow tilt - stopping as necessary by returning the slider to center.

Performing perfectly timed tilts requires just a little practice but once you get used to operating the slider in this mode you will find it very handy when you need to have precise control over the gimbal tilt.

HPlusGimbal.jpg

Last edited:
To see how using the velocity setting works in real time - I used it during the filming of one of my tutorials. The video below starts at the beginning of a run where I needed to be able to 'Tilt' the camera very slow and I wanted the beginning and the end of the tilt to be so slow that it was barely perceptible, and certainly not abrupt. I even laid titles over the video showing when this motion starts and stops.

I would add; that I have 'another' drone that allows me to change the 'speed' of tilt in the programming. Between the Plus and the other drone I prefer the manual control the velocity setting gives me. yet another reason I still ring the bell for the Plus. :cool:

VELOCITY FUNCTION IN USE

Just for the fun of it, I just did a test to see 'how slow' I could make the gimbal move and compared it to using the standard speed in 'Angle' tilt Mode. To keep thing the same, both moves were done through 90 degrees. Keep in mind that in 'Velocity' Tilt Mode the gimbal has another 15 degrees up and about 10 degrees past straight down.

TIME TO TRANSIT 90 DEGREES

ANGLE TILT MODE - (switch at the top, standard speed) - 3.55 seconds - Roughly 22.5 degrees per second. Way too fast to look even halfway cinematic

VELOCITY TILT MODE (slowest possible setting) - 4 minutes!!!! - Roughly .225 degrees per second! 100 times slower than Angle Mode. So slow I doubt you would need to move this slow but you could if needed.

And keep in mind this was the slowest speed - it can also do any speed in between.

Last edited:
Just implemented it on H480. Thank you!
Just to test it you can use the AUX. Because smart mode is not in use, I made free the landing gear switch for camera purposes.
DSC_0002.JPGDSC_0003.JPGDSC_0004.JPG

Just for the fun of it, I just did a test to see 'how slow' I could make the gimbal move and compared it to using the standard speed in 'Angle' tilt Mode. To keep thing the same, both moves were done through 90 degrees. Keep in mind that in 'Velocity' Tilt Mode the gimbal has another 15 degrees up and about 10 degrees past straight down.

TIME TO TRANSIT 90 DEGREES

ANGLE TILT MODE - (switch at the top, standard speed) - 3.55 seconds - Roughly 22.5 degrees per second. Way too fast to look even halfway cinematic

VELOCITY TILT MODE (slowest possible setting) - 4 minutes!!!! - Roughly .225 degrees per second! 100 times slower than Angle Mode. So slow I doubt you would need to move this slow but you could if needed.

And keep in mind this was the slowest speed - it can also do any speed in between.
@Ty Pilot Thank you great information.

Reactions: Ty Pilot

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
simsone