Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Aircraft won't connect after very minor crash

Hello all. I have had this problem with 4 of the 5 mantis q that we purchased as trainer drones and also use them for indoor search. 3 of them were sent back to either Yuneec or Vertigo. Yuneec had them for several months with no communication. Vertigo was pretty quick turn around and honored the warranty. This was all pre covid. We had another minor crash last week and could get ahold of no one at yuneec. You can still make a RA request online however they won't respond. They have turned off their customer service number. Anyway long story short I dug in to the mantis and here is what I found. Inside the camera housing the camera is attached thru the lens opening with 2 screws there is a ribbon connector that comes off of the camera. A circuit board is mounted behind the lens again held by small screws. The ribbon connector which is fairly "springy" for lack or a better word pops into the board. The ribbon is bent back over on its self to make the connection. A slight fall or impact causes the ribbon to pop out. After this happens the mantis fails internal checks and will not connect to the controller. Inside the main body of the drone all connections are reinforced with locking tabs or metal or cloth tape. This connection is not. The fix is to replace the camera hinkle assembly. Just FYI there are none to be had. So if you want to fly again soon take apart the Camera assembly very carefully and reconnect that ribbon.

A quick way to tell if you are having the same issue is to power on the drone and then look inside the front arms for a solid red light if you have solid red this is your issue.

I am attaching photos below I have marked the location of the light I am talking about. It is in the bottom of the main control board just above the power distribution board. You can see ot by looking thru the frint arm hinges when the drine is powered on. It will alternate red blue and i think green and then go red if not connecting. Blue of it is.

Hope this helps. Screenshot_20200718-083347_Photos.jpegScreenshot_20200718-083428_Photos.jpegScreenshot_20200718-083514_Photos.jpegScreenshot_20200718-083538_Photos.jpegScreenshot_20200718-083631_Photos.jpegScreenshot_20200718-083654_Photos.jpeg

hi slademade

I think you have the same problem as me after a crash and since the crash it won't connect
Controller will connect to the app but the drone not connect ! I have dismounted the drone and I found the internal firmware located in the hidden internal sd card on the main board,I believe that its where the pixhawk board looking for informations for the booting and initialisation sessions I have changed several times and I had a different led message so the firmware is corrupt I buy another mantis I dismount as I get it and if it fixes the problem I will make you a copy of the firmware look the pict where is the firm sorry for my bad English !!!
You are the great . Thank you very much. My mantis q just fly again :) !!

Hello all. I have had this problem with 4 of the 5 mantis q that we purchased as trainer drones and also use them for indoor search. 3 of them were sent back to either Yuneec or Vertigo. Yuneec had them for several months with no communication. Vertigo was pretty quick turn around and honored the warranty. This was all pre covid. We had another minor crash last week and could get ahold of no one at yuneec. You can still make a RA request online however they won't respond. They have turned off their customer service number. Anyway long story short I dug in to the mantis and here is what I found. Inside the camera housing the camera is attached thru the lens opening with 2 screws there is a ribbon connector that comes off of the camera. A circuit board is mounted behind the lens again held by small screws. The ribbon connector which is fairly "springy" for lack or a better word pops into the board. The ribbon is bent back over on its self to make the connection. A slight fall or impact causes the ribbon to pop out. After this happens the mantis fails internal checks and will not connect to the controller. Inside the main body of the drone all connections are reinforced with locking tabs or metal or cloth tape. This connection is not. The fix is to replace the camera hinkle assembly. Just FYI there are none to be had. So if you want to fly again soon take apart the Camera assembly very carefully and reconnect that ribbon.

A quick way to tell if you are having the same issue is to power on the drone and then look inside the front arms for a solid red light if you have solid red this is your issue.

I am attaching photos below I have marked the location of the light I am talking about. It is in the bottom of the main control board just above the power distribution board. You can see ot by looking thru the frint arm hinges when the drine is powered on. It will alternate red blue and i think green and then go red if not connecting. Blue of it is.

Hope this helps. View attachment 22721View attachment 22722View attachment 22723View attachment 22724View attachment 22725View attachment 22726

Sorry, of course, this cry of delight was for you , Jenksk9

Hello and Goodbye;
I decided to move on, not sure what will be my next bird will be.
I had 3 Mantis Q and was not able to find one that the compass worked correctly.
I'm looking for a 3 axis gimble and better image quality cause I' a photog at heart.
I'v had some fum with the Mantis Q, it's differently a good flyer.
Thanks for all the help.
Happy Flying

hi slademade

I think you have the same problem as me after a crash and since the crash it won't connect
Controller will connect to the app but the drone not connect ! I have dismounted the drone and I found the internal firmware located in the hidden internal sd card on the main board,I believe that its where the pixhawk board looking for informations for the booting and initialisation sessions I have changed several times and I had a different led message so the firmware is corrupt I buy another mantis I dismount as I get it and if it fixes the problem I will make you a copy of the firmware look the pict where is the firm sorry for my bad English !!!
hi man, can you send me good firmware as you have mentioned in your comment? email is [email protected]

Mom's look at my post above the firmware replacement won't fix your issue more than likely. The issue is the ribbon connector to the camera. It is a horrible design flaw and is the only connection in the whole drone not reinforced with tape to hold the connection down. I have had this issue with several mantis q drones and have always found that disassembly and reconnection of the ribbon connector is the only fix. Or replacing the whole camera gimble assembly. The problem will represent after a minor crash and then you're back where you started. When you reconnect the ribbon tape it down or use a little hot glue.

My Mantis Q will not bind also(I can see software version for app and controller in app)blue lights flashing on arms solid red light on main board.attached are my internal SD card files good or bad ??? any help would be appriciated.I checked the ribbon cable OK

Has it ever worked for you?

Was there a crash and then it quit working?

You mention the SD cards, did you open the aircraft to access the internal SD card?

What make and model of phone are you using with the Mantis? Are you able to see the SSID of the Mantis in the WiFi settings? Are you sure you are using a data capable cable between the controller’s USB-A connector and the phone?

Yes, it is a bit tricky, and it will void your warranty.

At first, i suggest you to double check all connections, I found that if there is any sensor not set up correctly, system hangs in a loop and never connects through Wifi.

After I attached a FTDI cable to the debug port (system console) I got several boot logs:
1 boot without controller, no GPS fix (int.)
2 boot with controller, and GPS fix (ext.)
3 boot with all connectors (but power supply and system console) unplugged

As you can see in the last file, system loops in "WARN [gps] (1,3)PREFLIGHT FAIL: GPS RECEIVER MISSING." and I verified never started Wifi AP
can you provide instructions on how to do this

Has it ever worked for you?

Was there a crash and then it quit working?

You mention the SD cards, did you open the aircraft to access the internal SD card?

What make and model of phone are you using with the Mantis? Are you able to see the SSID of the Mantis in the WiFi settings? Are you sure you are using a data capable cable between the controller’s USB-A connector and the phone?
yes I opened it up I have acopy of the contents. This is the bootlog txt(
(ERROR:[init] Could not load mixer: /etc/mixers/quad_x_wide.main.mix) the others are ulg files which I can't view.Ive tried different phones and cables phone wifi says mantis connected.

The chances of the files being bad on the internal SD card are remote. The ulg files are PX4 ulog files and if you upload them to Flight Review you can review your flights and error messages generated.

It really sounds as if you may have the same issue as @jenksk9 in post #22.

The chances of the files being bad on the internal SD card are remote. The ulg files are PX4 ulog files and if you upload them to Flight Review you can review your flights and error messages generated.

It really sounds as if you may have the same issue as @jenksk9 in post #22.
I've check the ribbons as in post #22,flight review did not show any errors but the bootlog from the internal SD shows ERROR:[init] Could not load mixer: /etc/mixers/quad_x_wide.main.mix: any ideas would be appreciated

Does the LED between the front arms mentioned in post 22 stay red or does it turn blue. If it remains red that indicates that it did not fully initiate.

No idea about the error you mentioned.

What is the history of this Mantis that brought on the connection issue?

Does the LED between the front arms mentioned in post 22 stay red or does it turn blue. If it remains red that indicates that it did not fully initiate.

No idea about the error you mentioned.

What is the history of this Mantis that brought on the connection issue?
stays red I pulled the board right out found a bad motor connector looks like i'll need a board Thanks for all your help

stays red I pulled the board right out found a bad motor connector looks like i'll need a board Thanks for all your help
Check with YuneecSkins.com. John will most likely have any parts you may need.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrichesin