Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Airmap cannot be trusted

3 different app data from where i am
1st pick is skyward (airport no fly zone for Portland ???) (drone assist on my phone the smaller pic airport in yellow )
second pick is airmap interesting that the ( airport )helicopter base is in yellow ( has only just appeared on there was not there last week but lived here all my life and i no its there)
its a take care warning as its a training base and they dont fly very often but what worries me is that when they do fly they have flown lower than 400 feet along the beach that has no warnings at all last flight from there was about 3 weeks ago, They are training German rescue pilots but as this app is supposed to give live flight alerts i would have expected flying warning to come up on there and it did not (blue shaded area is where they did some very low flying when you feel your building shaking you no they are low and top of my building is 35 feet above sea level
also you can see big differences in all three so who do you trust
how can any of us plan a safe flight without having the correct data at hand View attachment 12706
View attachment 12707

Always check for NOTAM

Reactions: thetrecker
Just to put a pin in it, here is a comparison of the same area in Washington State by AirMap.io (top) and by DroneSafetyMap (aka AltitudeAngel). Both apps were set for "Fly for Fun". Notice the small, 1-mile radius circles around airports in AirMap. Also notice that there is almost no place left to fly according to DroneSafetyMap. I certainly don't believe AirMap, but the other is hard to imagine also. What's a UAV pilot to do?AirMap.io Capture.JPG

DroneSafetyMap Capture.JPG

Well, if flying for fun there is no prohibition in flying near an airport. The only require is to notify the airport/ATC within 5 miles of the airport. Plus it is suggested to remain below 400 feet agl (in order to "play nice"). SO all that orange only means that is the notification radius for all the airports.

Well, if flying for fun there is no prohibition in flying near an airport. The only require is to notify the airport/ATC within 5 miles of the airport. Plus it is suggested to remain below 400 feet agl (in order to "play nice"). SO all that orange only means that is the notification radius for all the airports.
OK. But in some of those locations where I would like to fly, I would have to notify SIX airports. Ugh...

Yep. Sucks, but that is the way section 336 reads. Once the FAA implements the provisions of the recently passed H.R.302, Section 349 we will be required to obtain actual permission from any airport when flying in their Class B, C, D or E surface area. THAT is going to suck.

Reactions: thoneter and PatR
Indeed. People will finally have to learn how to use a VFR Sectional chart in order to see what the restricted altitudes are.

Reactions: Phaedrus
Indeed. People will finally have to learn how to use a VFR Sectional chart in order to see what the restricted altitudes are.
Doesn't that imply that you have to be able to read?

Not really as they use colors and numbers to annotate everything. I’m sure you know someone that can read well enough to walk you through it a couple times to memorize what the colors and lines represent[emoji4] Being color blind is a different matter and if you have that problem color photography is prolly not going to be your strong suit anyway[emoji6]

Don’t you dare say that I won’t give you crap back[emoji56]

Reactions: thoneter
Not really as they use colors and numbers to annotate everything. I’m sure you know someone that can read well enough to walk you through it a couple times to memorize what the colors and lines represent[emoji4] Being color blind is a different matter and if you have that problem color photography is prolly not going to be your strong suit anyway[emoji6]

Don’t you dare say that I won’t give you crap back[emoji56]
I was banking on it! Someone's got to rile up you old farts to get some life back into this forum!

I keep telling people that they need to learn how to read a sectional sooner rather than later. I can almost guarantee that the coming recreational sUAS test will have airspace questions on it.

Reactions: record.play.rewind

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval