Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Anyone else use hi-vis tape?

Reaction score
I had a minor stroke of genius or fit if insanity, maybe a bit of both. I had some hi-visibility reflective tape leftover from a bike project. Decided to keep it from going to waste and marked my drone and ground station with it - turned out great! Not so noticeable during the day but I can see it from a mile away in the dark easy without the extra LED strobes on. Easy and cheap upgrade.

Attachments

• KIMG0308.jpg
    KIMG0308.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 149
  • KIMG0290.jpg
    KIMG0290.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 148
  • KIMG0300.jpg
    KIMG0300.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 143
I have done similar with my H... I painted the landing gear and cover on the batteries with a bright fluorescent paint.

Not a bad idea. In my early flying daze everything I flew had hi-vis markings for orientation, before I learned to recognize the movement resulting from stick input. Now I need Hi-Vis for my old eyes just to see the thing at a distance. Many times I have trees and mountains as background while flying and it's easy to loose sight of it if I need to glance at the controller for a sec. On a sunny day I can stop and do a pirouette and get a flash or two off an arm, but that's doesn't work when it's cloudy. I have even shopped for a 520 body shell, but only found the bottom half so far.

I'm interested in your LED strobes. Who makes them, where did you get them, and how much do they co$t?

I do have all my batteries decorated with automotive pinstripe tape to make it obvious which is which. ...And even more importantly to give the bird a cool look!

ScreenHunter_5963 Dec. 02 19.39.jpg
ScreenHunter_5964 Dec. 02 19.49.jpg

Reactions: Steve Carr
Not a bad idea. In my early flying daze everything I flew had hi-vis markings for orientation, before I learned to recognize the movement resulting from stick input. Now I need Hi-Vis for my old eyes just to see the thing at a distance. Many times I have trees and mountains as background while flying and it's easy to loose sight of it if I need to glance at the controller for a sec. On a sunny day I can stop and do a pirouette and get a flash or two off an arm, but that's doesn't work when it's cloudy. I have even shopped for a 520 body shell, but only found the bottom half so far.

I'm interested in your LED strobes. Who makes them, where did you get them, and how much do they co$t?

I buy these because they are easy to use - rechargeable via an included micro usb cable so no batteries or wires to run. They attach with a simple rubber compression band. They weigh practically nothing and so long as they are spaced evenly apart they won't affect flight. Ebay, Amazon etc. sell them dirt cheap. 5 led bicycle lights - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MRWLOZN/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&th=1.

Of course I would prefer an American made item, but no one here makes or sells this type of item. You can spend much more for LED strobes but these work just fine. I originally got them because I needed a solution to keep geese from harassing my drones. These worked like a charm. And the neighborhood kids all crowd around when I fly it at dusk.

ac lighting 1.jpg

I was thinking of buying a top and bottom shell for my H and spraying them fluoro/bright orange or yellow, but I'm not so keen on tearing it all to pieces to achieve it.
I think some fluoro or bright orange or yellow tape wrapped around the arms will be enough to give my ageing eyes the visibility I need
Cheers

OFF TOPIC ALERT!
Well maybe not, Off Brand Alert is more like it. This is my Blade/Rakon Inductrix200 "Hot rod quad" with industrial warning paint job, quite possibly my favorite flier!
Not florescent but no problem seeing this baby!
ScreenHunter_1525 Jan. 24 21.18.jpg

Reactions: pixelzombie
Thought about Hi-vis tape, but after much reflection (see what I did there ?) I've gone for a complete skin instead, which someone has kindly bought me for Xmas !

View attachment 12857
I saw those - they look great, I am debating the blue carbon fiber. The video of the person doing the installation is actually pretty mesmerizing to watch.

Reactions: AeroJ
I've gone for orange to try and dissuade those curious buzzards and red kite... I know it's not 100% effective, but can't quite bring myself to add the silly eyes that are. Oh, and I will enjoy impersonating a 520 :)

I've gone for orange to try and dissuade those curious buzzards and red kite... I know it's not 100% effective, but can't quite bring myself to add the silly eyes that are. Oh, and I will enjoy impersonating a 520 :)

BTW I would love to spend a week or three traveling the UK with my drone! I've traveled Europe a good bit - so much picturesque conurtyside.

can't quite bring myself to add the silly eyes
Hey buddy! Who you callin' "Silly eyes"? ...You dare to mock my eyes!?
...Uh which ones?
ScreenHunter_5969 Dec. 03 11.35.jpg

Seriously, where did you find the skin(s)? I have not seen any for TH series anywhere. Is that a UK thing?

Hey buddy! Who you callin' "Silly eyes"? ...You dare to mock my eyes!?
...Uh which ones?
View attachment 12869

Seriously, where did you find the skin(s)? I have not seen any for TH series anywhere. Is that a UK thing?

Those red landing gear pads look like missile launchers - can you scam some old plastic toy missiles and jam in there?

Reactions: DCH
Those red landing gear pads look like missile launchers - can you scam some old plastic toy missiles and jam in there?
LOL! We are definitely on the same page! That was my exact thought when I retreated them for the first time. It cries out for something like that for sure. ...still lookin, I'll let you know as soon as I find something really intimidating!

What is the deal with skins anyways? How do they go on and how durable are they? Can you buy the stuff skins are made of?
Speaking of which I've seen lots of amazing videos about that glue that you cure with a light pen. Multiple people have tested it on broken props and it seems beyond too good to be true. Comments on it please.

And thanks to Ty Pilot - more carbon fiber tackle! I can use the ST16 tray between all three of my ST16 ground stations. KIMG0326.JPG
KIMG0327.JPG

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TroyBoy