Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Anyone fly without the landing skids / landing gear?

Reaction score
I did a mod to the Q500 saving 133 grams of weight, or about 7.5% of the weight! I removed the landing skids (137 grams) and replaced them with a simple grab handle made of 4 grams of Ty-Rap. I figure this will add valuable fly time and better wind performance to the aircraft.

So I have broken one blade on a landing so far, no big deal, but it just does not seem worth the risk to 'traditionally' land the craft each time, so I simply hover it above my head and reach out to the added new 'Ty-Rap handle' and grab it, then hit the kill switch on the remote with my left hand. NP so far, EZPZ to do, and less risk to the craft. I know many may squawk over that idea, but it works for me! One MUST watch the aircraft at all times doing this. No loss of concentration allowed. (You should be watching it constantly anyways). I'm not sure 'grab landing' its really that riskier than 'traditional' considering what can happen if it tips over (often) and results in a prop strike. The broken prop pieces go flying creating an obvious hazzard.

I place the Q500 resting on its original landing skids for take-off / preflight. They are not attached, so upon lift-off, they stay on Earth. 'Grab landing' on return...

Thoughts?

Reactions: Knighty
Works for me. As you say, concentration is key, although if you still have all ten fingers attached, I hope they stay that way.

Truthfully, I don't like the way the Typhoon "bounces" when landing due to ground effects? My other bird DOESN'T do this, so this method of retrieval should add longevity to props and birds.

Can you post a pic of the "Ty-Rap" device?

Safe flying!
DS

hi
this is one reason you should not catch your Q .
no offence to any bird catchers but save your self a trip to the emergency room .
fly safe

Attachments

• finger.jpg
    finger.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 161
hi
this is one reason you should not catch your Q .
no offence to any bird catchers but save your self a trip to the emergency room .
fly safe
Ouch! That pic will make me even more careful to watch the quad!

Thanks for sharing (I think) LOL

Works for me. As you say, concentration is key, although if you still have all ten fingers attached, I hope they stay that way.

Truthfully, I don't like the way the Typhoon "bounces" when landing due to ground effects? My other bird DOESN'T do this, so this method of retrieval should add longevity to props and birds.

Can you post a pic of the "Ty-Rap" device?

Safe flying!
DS

Sure!

Here ya go. This added only 3 grams of weight! So a net weight savings of 134 grams. I don't mind the catch 'finger splitting' risk so much. This allows me to approach from the bottom, below the craft as it hovers. I'm as far as you can get from the spinning props, but no guarantees of course. This is a "Panduitt" brand Ty-Rap, FYI. I simply drilled holes in the end (7/64" if I recall) and used the factory fasteners to attach. I did take a pair of snips and knocked off the corners a bit to accommodate the rounded 'wells' in the body.

Attachments

• Typhoone.1.20160321_152127.jpg
    Typhoone.1.20160321_152127.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 182
  • Typhoone.2.20160321_152127.jpg
    Typhoone.2.20160321_152127.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 162
I did a mod to the Q500 saving 133 grams of weight, or about 7.5% of the weight! I removed the landing skids (137 grams) and replaced them with a simple grab handle made of 4 grams of Ty-Rap. I figure this will add valuable fly time and better wind performance to the aircraft.

So I have broken one blade on a landing so far, no big deal, but it just does not seem worth the risk to 'traditionally' land the craft each time, so I simply hover it above my head and reach out to the added new 'Ty-Rap handle' and grab it, then hit the kill switch on the remote with my left hand. NP so far, EZPZ to do, and less risk to the craft. I know many may squawk over that idea, but it works for me! One MUST watch the aircraft at all times doing this. No loss of concentration allowed. (You should be watching it constantly anyways). I'm not sure 'grab landing' its really that riskier than 'traditional' considering what can happen if it tips over (often) and results in a prop strike. The broken prop pieces go flying creating an obvious hazzard.

I place the Q500 resting on its original landing skids for take-off / preflight. They are not attached, so upon lift-off, they stay on Earth. 'Grab landing' on return...

Thoughts?
I "Grab Landed" mine for about the first 40 flights because I was reading/hearing about the 'bounce' when landing...since I have installed the updated software there is hardly any bounce when landing...I believe the update was to take the bounce out

I've almost gotta call BS on that photo as damage from a q500 prop. Too linear. I know there is a vid out there of someone who did get bit, and am now going to watch it.

This is what is more likely to happen

This one was a member on another forum with CF props that got bit when the wind came up.

1458330753249-jpg.2988

Last edited:
I've almost gotta call BS on that photo as damage from a q500 prop. Too linear. I know there is a vid out there of someone who did get bit, and am now going to watch it.

Aside.... because of your "don't fly stupid.org" signature, I have now joined. Thanks for adding it in to raise awareness.

I "Grab Landed" mine for about the first 40 flights because I was reading/hearing about the 'bounce' when landing...since I have installed the updated software there is hardly any bounce when landing...I believe the update was to take the bounce out
On the third landing, mine bounced and carried on, then tipped back and blade strike. It broke and went flying into the house, ricocheted and lightly struck my leg. It was at that point I felt the need to try something a bit less dangerous (the irony of it).

This is what is more likely to happen

This one was a member on another forum with CF props that got bit when the wind came up.

1458330753249-jpg.2988

yes you are probably right on the photo it was on another forum but it has good shock value for bird catchers . i would rather buy a new set of props then make a trip to the emergency room .
fly safe

On the third landing, mine bounced and carried on, then tipped back and blade strike. It broke and went flying into the house, ricocheted and lightly struck my leg. It was at that point I felt the need to try something a bit less dangerous (the irony of it).
hi
try a set of these ,easy to make , cheap water pipe foam insulation . i use the same skids on my Blade 350 QX for over 3 years , keeps the Q 500 from tipping backwards and breaking a prop or two also when you land it has a longer and a little wider skid bottom .
another trick i use on windy days is when you touch down , pull the safe ,angel switch down to RTH the motors will stop quicker than pushing the red arm/disarm button , just make sure you are on earth and not in the air , then it will go into return to home mode .
IMG_20160321_152551.jpg

fly safe IMG_20160321_152551.jpg

hi
try a set of these ,easy to make , cheap water pipe foam insulation . i use the same skids on my Blade 350 QX for over 3 years , keeps the Q 500 from tipping backwards and breaking a prop or two also when you land it has a longer and a little wider skid bottom .
another trick i use on windy days is when you touch down , pull the safe ,angel switch down to RTH the motors will stop quicker than pushing the red arm/disarm button , just make sure you are on earth and not in the air , then it will go into return to home mode .
View attachment 335

fly safe View attachment 335

Very clever, and I like the red tape to keep your orientation. I also have a 'remove before flight' ribbon hanging on my CGO3 camera protector. I also spray painted it orange to be sure it is seen.

Do they reduce the flight time any noticeable amount? Weight if you have it?

Very clever, and I like the red tape to keep your orientation. I also have a 'remove before flight' ribbon hanging on my CGO3 camera protector. I also spray painted it orange to be sure it is seen.

Do they reduce the flight time any noticeable amount? Weight if you have it?

hi
i have many flights with the foam skids .
i reinforced the foam tubes yesterday with aluminum tubes just to make them stronger , all total weight is 100 grams , ( i think the original skids weigh is 100 grams ) .
in the photo it shows the aluminum tubes with the cut outs .
i have flown in heavy winds and the GPS keeps my Q steady in flight , i have posted a few videos with no real movement at 400 feet . all and any weight you add to your Q will effect how long your battery will last . i only fly for about 20 minutes , i use a small kitchen timer set to 18 or 20 minutes then return close to me and land . if it takes a swim in the water the foam just mite keep the Q from sinking but i don't know if it will float like a sea plane .
fly safe

Attachments

• IMG_20160321_143326.jpg
    IMG_20160321_143326.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 60
Yep, that was the original 'theme' of this thread, saving weight, and ways to increase performance. I'd say a few minutes on a search engine would yield the weight of water the foam skid additions would displace. (measure the length, diameter etc.) Compare that against the weight of the craft and that should answer the basic question. More study or testing to see if it would be stable floating. We need to keep the camera out of the drink!

Thoughts?

Cool idea. Can you post a vid of this in action?

Those bloody finger pix (real or not) are a good reminder about the danger. At first I thought, how much damage can a little plastic prop do, but obviously, a lot. And a hand is bad enough, but face, eyes, other body parts could be even worse. I have seen many vids with DJI birds being caught by hand and it seems pretty easy, but they have a smoother landing gear. The gear on the Q500 is a little sharp edged anyway for catching/carrying.

The extended foam landing gear is a good idea. Simply having a wider base makes for less likelihood for tipping over on landing (as long as they don't compromise the flying ability. Broken blades aren't the end of the world, but still an extra expense.

I have seen a couple of vids where people used modified pool floaties as landing gear and were able to take off and land on water.

Don't know the real advantage on such intentional take-offs/landings but might be a good safety feature if you are flying over water and are forced to land unexpectedly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval