Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Approached by an "FAA Inspector"

Reaction score
Today I was flying outside my house and a guy came by and told me I'm not supposed to fly within 5 miles of an airport. I told him that I can. He said I'm with the FAA and there are rules against fly that close to an airport. I explained to him that I notified the tower and he asked who I got permission from. I told him that first of all I didn't need to tell him and second of all I don't need permission. We went round and round and it ended with him saying he is going to report me and I told him to go ahead. He couldn't even tell me the regulation that covers commercial use of drones.

I know all the people at the local FSDO and I was flying within the rules so I have nothing to worry about.

Unfortunately, my drone battery was going down so I landed. I didn't want him to think I landed because of him.

Just watch out for these people and be prepared if one comes up to you. Be familiar with this website
Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions

I have my FAA card in my case so I can show them I am a certified Hobby flier.I would also ask for ID.

Yep. I would ask for his identification. And possibly his card. If he doesn't give you either, then advise him to be on his way.

How is he going to report you? Did he get you number or information?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. I would ask for his identification. And possibly his card. If he doesn't give you either, then advise him to be on his way.

How is he going to report you? Did he get you number or information?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was busy trying to land my Typhoon and didn't get a chance to ask for his ID before he left. I know he wasn't an inspector since I know all of the inspectors.

I think tat if he was a genuine inspector he would have shown his I.D. to you before speaking with you if only to insure that you understood his authority before the 'advice' was given. I agree that it sounds like he was an impostor.

I think tat if he was a genuine inspector he would have shown his I.D. to you before speaking with you if only to insure that you understood his authority before the 'advice' was given. I agree that it sounds like he was an impostor.

All FSDO inspectors have badges. So if anyone approaches you saying they are with the FAA they should have a badge.

I have my FAA card in my case so I can show them I am a certified Hobby flier.I would also ask for ID.
What faa card for hobby flier are you talking about? Ive only heard of the remote pilot certification. If you are flying as a hobbyist you dont need a faa certification i believe.

Bill W.

For hobby you need to carry your sUAS certificate of registration. Local & federal authorities can ask for it, that is your proof that your drone is registered, it has the same number that you have to attach to your drone.

What faa card for hobby flier are you talking about? Ive only heard of the remote pilot certification. If you are flying as a hobbyist you dont need a faa certification i believe.

Bill W.

Last edited:
I have that email. Im not trying argue with you just make sure i understand. I have not seen anything that says i have to carry that card. I just have to put the faa registration number on all my aircraft.

Bill W.

I don't carry the certificate in a physical format in my wallet, but authorities can ask for it at which point I can show it to them on my phone. This makes it easier for authorities to actually verify that the drone is registered and that the certificate has not expired. The certificate is also a quick way to show proof of ownership.

And this is directly from the FAA: Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions

"Do I always have to have my Certificate of Aircraft Registration with me while flying my UAS?
Yes. You must have the FAA registration certificate in your possession when operating an unmanned aircraft. The certificate can be available either on paper or electronically."

I have that email. Im not trying argue with you just make sure i understand. I have not seen anything that says i have to carry that card. I just have to put the faa registration number on all my aircraft.

Bill W.

I don't carry the certificate in a physical format in my wallet, but authorities can ask for it at which point I can show it to them on my phone. This makes it easier for authorities to actually verify that the drone is registered and that the certificate has not expired. The certificate is also a quick way to show proof of ownership.

And this is directly from the FAA: Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions

"Do I always have to have my Certificate of Aircraft Registration with me while flying my UAS?
Yes. You must have the FAA registration certificate in your possession when operating an unmanned aircraft. The certificate can be available either on paper or electronically."
Ok thanks. I know that if you are a member of a community based organization that there could be some different rules. Im gonna see what the AMA says. Meanwhile I put a copy of my registration certificate on my phone. However that will change once i get my remote pilot certification. Then ill have to re register it for commercial purposes.

Bill W.

Today I was flying outside my house and a guy came by and told me I'm not supposed to fly within 5 miles of an airport. I told him that I can. He said I'm with the FAA and there are rules against fly that close to an airport. I explained to him that I notified the tower and he asked who I got permission from. I told him that first of all I didn't need to tell him and second of all I don't need permission. We went round and round and it ended with him saying he is going to report me and I told him to go ahead. He couldn't even tell me the regulation that covers commercial use of drones.

I know all the people at the local FSDO and I was flying within the rules so I have nothing to worry about.

Unfortunately, my drone battery was going down so I landed. I didn't want him to think I landed because of him.

Just watch out for these people and be prepared if one comes up to you. Be familiar with this website
Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions
You were in the right, but the attitude you had didn't help and it exacerbated the situation. I, unfortunately, tend to react the same but, but I'm working on it.

I noticed in the FAA faq you posted for me to read it says you have to inform the airport that you are flying that close bit they can not tell you "no". They can object but not prevent you from flying. I hope i read that right. It did mention however that you need to fly cautiously in that situation which is just common sense.

Bill W.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval