Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Are you sure you have made a good purchase with the Tornado H920 Plus?

Puff... little more smoke! :rolleyes:
A pleasure to read... where, how were you able to collect the information and historical timelines on a narrow technology that has minimal coverage media; and mostly only within specialty rags & social sites. The history of Yuneec is more informative than anything I’ve dug up on sites and the international timeline sync helpful on the big picture.

The timeline of Yuneec and their 2 products with Govt and Industry black ops does clarify the situation. In my reading, I found several short articles on introduction of H920 and were very positive. My searches were focused on technology and strengths of the 920, so I didn’t stumble across the negative articles until later dates when the negatives were wide spread.

Touching on the new generation of population was spot on... true in almost everything! Disappointing & frustrating, but that’s a separate subject. On the AU subject, following that has been suspicious of the intent.

You’ve mentioned a few times Yuneec probably has a distaste for some of your comments. But having a grasp of the market, technology, and international & local social impacts are the saught traits to guide a floundering company back to track; I’d think they’d be doing the opposite and attempting to work with you... if not for the realities & politics.

What’s your thoughts on 3rd party down the road using the 920 platform as doner? Could be a nice mod kit, DIY or Shop for fee.

Concure Multiple models is good diversification, but that could be multiple models utilizing a smaller group of core platforms.

Personally. I think it’s a mistake to reserve roles to independent platforms. The 520 shouldn’t be the only Grid Map platform.

One can’t expect every option on the platform at once. In comparison, can’t install flatbed, standard box, telco rig, ag vet & camper at the same time but they all use 1/2, 3/4, 1 Ton platforms to retain part commonality & inventory.

The 920 could support multiple roles, it’s the 3/4 chassis... the most multi-role and diversified. The 520 is a 1/2 chassis with fewer roles and lower cost. The 920 should be able to perform all the 520 roles and more if a commercial company wanted to invest. Their fleet would have common components and specialty mods for the specific role. But able to convert as business demands fluctuated, not need to continue to add another unit to meet a demand. You’d then have company decisions to what scale to initially build the fleet. In Agriculture, the core tractors are often maintained for 15-30 years while the specialty components change with technology. Another example; all the multiple roles the C130 variants have performed over the years.

The 920 could have been Yuneec’s main platform, adding both OEM components and working with 3rd party to add additional specialty components. Grid, Photo, Cinema, cabling, IR, SAR, Inspections, etc. The development would take off driven by specialty markets not consumer markets.

Thus my desire and hope a 3rd party examines the 920. They can build their own, but they’d lack the features or additional possibilities Yuneec could bring to the table. For Yuneec to entertain the 920 resurrection, it’d probably need an external stimulus initially.

I’d rather have 2-3 H920’s that I could modify and change as needed than a 920, 520, and 480 just to use the components or programming features unique to each.

Last edited:
Reactions: AeriaL
You create multiple sUAS platforms only to create the ability to diversify payload capability and serve different markets. Multirotors are very limited due to their limited power supply. The consumer market does not understand they will never be able to obtain DSLR or better image quality without employing a DSLR or comparable payload. Small multirotors cannot carry the weight necessary to employ them. You can't cram a high quality sensor, processor, and lens into a package light enough for an aircraft with a 5lb to 6lb total lift capacity to carry. A well designed system needs only be able to accept a range of different payloads that target various markets. The most successful military/commercial drones have been relatively stagnant in airframe design since being placed in service a decade or more ago. The only changes that have occurred were based upon extending range, increasing weight capability, and employment of a more diverse range of payloads. Air frames have been changed only to the extent necessary to accept the desired payloads. Propulsion systems have for the most part only changed to achieve greater "fuel" efficiency and permit achievement of higher altitude. Everything that has been done at the military level of UAV's is directly applicable to the commercial side of sUAS. Our governments have provided billions of development $$ to corporate aerospace companies to design, build and continuously improve UAV technology but commercial sUAS outfits have, for the most part, either refused or failed to make use of the examples provided them by government funded research and development.

There's truly no difference between what governments are trying to do and what the "hobby" and commercial sectors are trying to do. They are both about designing and selling a product that does what the customers want, and once providing that product, further promoting new products to generate interest in things the customers don't yet know they want. To establish what customers want you need to spend time in direct contact with the people that will be spending the money. You have to watch and listen to them as they participate and describe what they do, how they do it, and what they think would allow them to do it better, or cheaper. They are not going to come to you unless and until your product has already firmly established superior performance for their competitors. You must go to them, learn from them, and cater to them if you have any desire of being a leader instead of a follower.

The 920 could easily perform mapping functions, and more. It has most of the tools in place, except one, to execute such missions. The CGO-4 does not have geo tagging capability. That hardware feature was removed during the process of selectively eliminating components from the GH-4 to develop the CGO-4. I don't understand the reasoning behind that as the 920 design is capable of carrying 30+ pounds and still have acceptable flight time. It's also capable of flying much faster but to do so would require upgrading the the existing power delivery system to carry more current. All that would be required to accomplish that would be to increase wire and connector sizes and use higher input/output ESC's. The existing motors are quite capable of delivering more than they are. The total weight of the CGO-4 and gimbal is well below that of a Canon or Sony DSLR with a prime lens mounted on a capable gimbal. Both of those are well established as being used on similar sized multirotors having similar lift capability.

Your mention of the 920 supporting multiple roles is dead on target. It most certainly could, and still can, if upper corporate management does not suffer from a severe case of myopia. Further development of the 920 would be relatively easy and inexpensive compared to continual development of new products intended to target a segment of society with limited disposable income for recreational purposes. To expand 920 development would require employing people already experienced with auto pilot software development, payloads, creative radio technicians, and above average marketing personnel. There isn't time to hire people fresh out of school that lack direct experience in the field of endeavor and provide them time to learn. You'll have to pay for that experience though. They would have to work together as a dev team, not separate department silos with each vying for control. Such a dev team would have to be relatively small to prevent "paralysis through analysis" and allow rapid decision making. They would also need to spend money, something I'm guessing is currently a choke point. I'll stop here as I have a lot of ideas but few really want to read such ramblings.

As for your implied question of how did I obtain info, I've been deeply involved in the aero RC side of the hobby for 40+ years. Since 2005 I didn't just work within the military UAV industry, I lived it through total immersion. What happens with old military UAV technology is eventually becomes outdated and transferred to the civilian market as new technology becomes available to the military. In that sense nothing consumer and commercial sUAS is doing is new, it has been around for quite some time for those involved in that group. I was also one of the three founders of a group called the ACUAS, with an intent to develop an organization intended to represent and serve the commercial sUAS group. Unfortunately we were underfunded and still employed in other areas and unable to devote the time and attention necessary to make it grow. We had access to a very broad information base. Recently retiring from regular employment has left me a little bored and with spare time. Actively participating in assisting a promising company improve their products and performance is something I could be interested in but only if it was something I could enjoy doing. I'm past the point of accepting a position because I need a job, I would only accept a position of employment, most likely as an independent contractor, if I knew my efforts would be appreciated. At this point it's not about earning compensation, although the effort would not be free. You have to cover all the expenses and obtain something to show you have value.

The 920 could easily perform mapping functions, and more. It has most of the tools in place, except one, to execute such missions. The CGO-4 does not have geo tagging capability. That hardware feature was removed during the process of selectively eliminating components from the GH-4 to develop the CGO-4.

The omission of the GH4's GPS on the CGO4 has been touched on a few times and I've meant to inquire; if the GH4 with GB603 Gimbal was used with the H920, the geo tagging GPS data would be recordable. Does the ST24 / H920 have a function to fly grid or multiple vector points... or manual piloting? Or am I missing something on this one?

I've never fondled the original 920 system but my understanding has it capable of executing multiple waypoint missions. If the camera can be set to take pictures on a user selectable frequency there's no reason a mapping mission could not be performed if geo tagging was present.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frida Gold