Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Bad Crash.

Reaction score
I was out flying about an hour ago and everything was fine. I fly several times a week and she always flies great. Today, all of the sudden there was a vibration on the ST-16 and a message that said "Motor error" I think (It happened really fast) then the H fell out of the sky from about 100' give or take.

I am posting my log as that is what I have seen people do after a crash. I could not get the excel file to upload so I converted it to a PDF for easy of viewing.

I want to know what happened. I really dont think this was pilot error as my pre flight checks where all done the same as any other day, and it was flying perfectly right up until it feel like a bowling ball out of the sky.

If anyone has any insight into what happened to her it would help me a lot. What do most people do after a crash? Repair everything? Trash it?

((EDIT: Just in case someone wants to know, I was flying with stock antennas on the ST16. No mods to the H.))

Attachments

• Telemetry_00077(crash).pdf
    13.5 MB · Views: 71
Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Steve Carr
Saving this as a follow up post for after this thread is finished. I figure if in the future someone needs help it may be a good thread to point people in the right direction.

Also I will post pics of her after the crash tomorrow. I am too amped up right now

I'm really sorry to hear about your mishap. It's always a wake up call when one falls out of th sky, I hate hearing about it and hope it never happens to me. @Steve Carr has a seasoned shoulder if you need one to cry on.

We will need a damage report before anyone can advise you. The camera is the most expensive component, most of the other components that break in a crash are not very expensive, and not very hard to replace.

Reactions: John Hennessy
I will get that together tomorrow morning. It is pretty bad. I know I can fix most things, but the camera is in about 9 pieces. My gut says I can put it back together and print a new case and it might work. I know I have heard of crash forgiveness, however I have no clue how to even find out if that applies in this case.

• Wow
Reactions: AussieCate
I know I have heard of crash forgiveness, however I have no clue how to even find out if that applies in this case.
Too late for that, you must purchase it beforehand like any insurance policy.

@Windcalmer

Sorry for your mishap! That happening for no apparent reason is always puzzling.

So that we can analyze your flight data, please copy the Remote, RemoteGPS, Sensor, and Telemetry files from that flight to a folder on your PC. Then select that folder and zip it, then upload it in this thread. Manually reading the files takes way too long, and we need them without them being opened by Excel or other csv reader. They usually tag the file and make it unreadable by @h-elsner‘s Q500log2kml program.
Once we have the zipped flightlog files it doesn’t take too long to see what they have to say.

I could not get the excel file to upload so I converted it to a PDF for easy of viewing.
Unfortunately, many folks mistake the guidance to "upload your telemetry" to mean "upload your telemetry". (Strange how that happens) But that's not what it means. We need the entire contents of the "FlightLog" directory compressed into one zip file, and uploaded to the forum. The forum will let you upload zip files.

Reactions: DoomMeister
I want to know what happened. I really dont think this was pilot error as my pre flight checks where all done the same as any other day, and it was flying perfectly right up until it feel like a bowling ball out of the sky.
The file you uploaded is a pdf file. I would need the original csv file to review the flight data.

A few questions:
Were you recording video at the time of the mishap?
When you found the H was the battery still locked in the aircraft?
What was the condition of the props? Were any missing?
How many broken motor arms?
Can you tell the orientation of the H on impact? Did it hit on it's side, top or bottom?

Reactions: DoomMeister
I will get that together tomorrow morning. It is pretty bad. I know I can fix most things, but the camera is in about 9 pieces. My gut says I can put it back together and print a new case and it might work. I know I have heard of crash forgiveness, however I have no clue how to even find out if that applies in this case.
Is it still under warantee ? If it is contact yuneec, they replaced mine

I was out flying about an hour ago and everything was fine. I fly several times a week and she always flies great. Today, all of the sudden there was a vibration on the ST-16 and a message that said "Motor error" I think (It happened really fast) then the H fell out of the sky from about 100' give or take.

I am posting my log as that is what I have seen people do after a crash. I could not get the excel file to upload so I converted it to a PDF for easy of viewing.

If anyone has any insight into what happened to her it would help me a lot. What do most people do after a crash? Repair everything? Trash it?

Very interesting. I too
had the motor error one time .I got it back , and to
my surprise one of the arms and props were broke. Fixed it, a week later it fell from the sky just as yours did.
I sold it and bought another.I am sure one of the members will help you
Just as they have helped me in the past.
Keith Kuhn

@Windcalmer

Sorry for your mishap! That happening for no apparent reason is always puzzling.

So that we can analyze your flight data, please copy the Remote, RemoteGPS, Sensor, and Telemetry files from that flight to a folder on your PC. Then select that folder and zip it, then upload it in this thread. Manually reading the files takes way too long, and we need them without them being opened by Excel or other csv reader. They usually tag the file and make it unreadable by @h-elsner‘s Q500log2kml program.
Once we have the zipped flightlog files it doesn’t take too long to see what they have to say.

Keep up the good work Steve
You have helped so many of us Keith Kuhn

Had mine do the same thing, I know how it feels when you know it isn't pilot error

Reactions: Windcalmer
...Two possibilities (with out seeing the files)
one is maybe one arm wasn't completely locked in place and it fell down.
that happened to me a long time ago, but close to the ground so I could land it with no problem.
Locked the arm and checked everything out and it flew fine since.
Two is maybe a bird strike???
Good luck in your repair !

Sorry for being late with the files. Along with a bad crash, I have apparently gotten the plague.

Steve:
Were you recording video at the time of the mishap? No I was between shots
When you found the H was the battery still locked in the aircraft? Yes the battery was still locked in tight and the drone was powered up when I got it.
What was the condition of the props? Were any missing? The bases where all on, however they where all broken.
How many broken motor arms? 3 I think maybe a 4th
Can you tell the orientation of the H on impact? Did it hit on it's side, top or bottom? It had to have hit on the bottom due to the camera turning into confetti.

Atomic:
All the arms were locked up tight during pre flight. I have a routine of checking them once before power up and then again after I install the props after power up.

There where no birds in the area. I had a clear view of the drone. Maybe 100-125 yards away and I have 20/10 vision. Nothing hit it.

EDIT: I just hand spun each motor and the front passenger side motor is very rough and gritty feeling. All the others just feel like normal. Smooth with slight bumpyness.

Thank guys and girls for all the replies and the help. I am so thankful we have a community of people like this.

Attachments

• FlightLog.zip
    35.3 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I figured you might like to see the damage. Four of the arms are broken, both landing gear are trashed (they where up when the crash happened.) The camera is trashed as you can see. It hit first and it hit hard. The props where in the condition you see in the picture. Some parts where easily 12 feet or more from the drone.

20191211_144919.jpg

20191211_144929.jpg

20191211_144933.jpg

20191211_144942.jpg

20191211_145001.jpg

20191211_145004.jpg

20191211_145010.jpg

20191211_145015.jpg

20191211_145020.jpg

Just a quick look:
You were 145 ft up, and about 1145 feet out. Motor 2 quit. Appears battery drain was occurring as drone was falling, inplying it was at least trying to recover. Flight Mode remained in "angle mode", but not sure if "5 rotor mode" would be recorded in that column.
More experienced readers will have to comment whether more than one motor failed, or if 5 rotor mode ever engaged.
I know you dismissed birds as a cause. How 'bout Angels? Or maybe the dead guy you landed on was some crank that doesn't like drones? :eek: :p

• Haha
Reactions: DCH and Windcalmer
Wow, I would have thought I was about half that height. So which motor is motor 2? Is that Front Passenger side?

Yeah, the cemetary is a great spot here to fly as it is quiet, nice and open and no one is ever there.

WTFD: Ok, so the motor that is making weird noise when turned now is not the motor that went out. Number 6 is the one making noise now.

Mrgs1: Yes, they are aftermarket. Same weight, balance is good, and they have at least 7-8 hours on them so far with no issues.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval