Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Batteries that can't bulge...

Reaction score
I've read many dozens of threads about bulging Yuneec batteries and how they will reduce my Typhoon H, and possibly my house, to smoldering ashes. I really do take this threat seriously, but in as much as the OEM batteries haven't been available for a very long time now I'm wondering how this out gassing phenomenon is manifest in other LiPo batteries? I bought one of the nifty battery adapters on Ebay along with a couple of 6300 (supposedly) mAh batteries (similar to the photo below), and the batteries are enclosed in a rigid plastic case on all sides--no flexible membrane to bulge on two sides like the OEM Yuneec batteries. Since it's presumably the same chemistry, what happens when these batteries outgas, and how would a user know that it's time to stop using it?
s-l1600.jpg

The best advice I can think of is to keep a log of the charging routine and monitor the IR, charging time, amount of charge added, and flight times you get on the batteries. As the battery ages the IR readings will rise, the flight times will become lower, and time to charge will rise (especially the balancing phase at the end of charging).

I am quite certain that the solid case batteries will deform during outgassing, just not to the extent you would see on those with flexible openings.

Reactions: Fred Garvin
and the batteries are enclosed in a rigid plastic case on all sides--no flexible membrane to bulge on two sides like the OEM Yuneec batteries. Since it's presumably the same chemistry, what happens when these batteries outgas, and how would a user know that it's time to stop using it?
The problem is not the outgassing itself but the change to the chemical compounds. The same change will occur in every LiPo battery for several reasons most importantly mishandling. Some cheaper batteries tend to bulge a little bit faster than higher quality ones. For some batteries it is even considered normal although it is still highly dangerous. For example Turnigy batteries are known for bulging within the first uses but most people keep using them despite the risk of a fire.

Since the problem is not the gas itself but the chemicals, I would consider a hardcase battery (what you bought) even more dangerous since you cannot see a change like you would do when handling a softcase battery. When a hardcase battery starts to bulge or even crack it is already a quiet dangerous situation. Those batteries are ment to be used in RC cars since the hardcase provides a protection against physical stresses like hard impacts which occur on a regular basis when driving a RC car (especially offroad). So unless you expect to crash a few times I recommend using a softcase battery for safety reasons as well as weight and cost.

Reactions: Pier2162 and Rayray
I would love to have some current recommendations for a "soft case" battery. When I bought these there wre no OEM batteries available at all, and the only copies of the OEM battery were asking $140 and up. For that price I'd consider it time to retire the TH's....

Regarding the part about what happens to a hard case battery when it starts to bulge.... The case cracks open. I'm sure you've seen phones, power banks, etc with cracked cases when the battery puffs up. Same deal with these batteries. Just that the battery itself is cased separately to the device you're using it in.

For flying purposes the plastic casing mainly just adds extra weight with no real benefit.

So what battery would you buy new right now? Still hoping someone will give me a recommendation--including a good charger....

Reactions: Delve
So what battery would you buy new right now? Still hoping someone will give me a recommendation--including a good charger....
I am curious what battery to get, I used to use the "dumb" charger that came with my Q500 kit, but I started using my smart charger and I noticed that in one of my batteries one of the cells was way lower voltage than the other two, so I think that one is about at the end of its life. The chargers I have and love are from ISDT. Tiny little chargers but all the info and features I want, mainly individual cell health and the ability to put the battery in storage charge. I have the SC-608 and the Q8. You have to have a power supply for these smart chargers though, so I went to Value Village and found a laptop charger with the highest amperage rating and a common barrel plug, not a fancy plug, I got one of those and it didn't work, the one that works for me is a ASUS ADP-65JH BB, power output 19V at 3.4 Amps, perfectly within the chargers 9-32V input rating. Then it is an easy adapter to solder together, female barrel plug to male XT60, I got the barrel plug from my LHS, but you can get them way cheaper online be sure to quadruple check that the polarity is correct, a simple task with a voltmeter, and voila a Value Village power supply capable of charging at 3.4 AMPs, which I realize is less than 1c for a 5400mah Q500 battery, but the price is right, and for all my little drone batteries I can even charge more than 1c, though I do not recommend that, just for the longevity of your LIPOs, not necessarily for safety, many Lipos are rated for up to 5c fast charging, I just dont believe that you can do that and have them last.

sorry for the run on sentence, I'm just excited to have found this forum!

TL;DR Check out ISDT chargers

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval