Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Cheesden Valley and Ashworth Moor Reservoir

FlushVision

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
As title.
H480 flight in Cheesden Valley looking at the ruins of Cheesden Lumb Mill. Also the reservoir and surrounding area.
Shot at 4k. Manual settings, various shutter speeds but no higher than 500/sec. No ND filter.

As title.
H480 flight in Cheesden Valley looking at the ruins of Cheesden Lumb Mill. Also the reservoir and surrounding area.
Shot at 4k. Manual settings, various shutter speeds but no higher than 500/sec. No ND filter.
With the GiFi battery?

With the GiFi battery?
No. The Gifi is now in normal rotation so it wasn't scheduled for a cycle for these flights. These flights were powered by older Power 4 batteries.

I may be going out Friday for a fly. Not decided where yet but depending on where I go I may cycle the Gify then.

No. The Gifi is now in normal rotation so it wasn't scheduled for a cycle this flight. These flights were powered by older Power 4 batteries.

I may be going out Friday for a fly. Not decided where yet but depending on where I go I may cycle the Gify then.
Might as well, it's looking a bit rubbish after Saturday, I don't know what happened to the 2 week heatwave in the papers

Might as well, it's looking a bit rubbish after Saturday, I don't know what happened to the 2 week heatwave in the papers
Yep. The forecast after Saturday looks grim at least into early next week. Not sure about later next week...for me, though, any forecast that looks more than a few days ahead isn't really a forecast you can rely upon with any confidence...he'ck, the BBC can't even get a 24 hour forecast right.

Newspapers will report on anything if they think it'll sell a few more copies...and bugger the truth.

Yep. The forecast after Saturday looks grim at least into early next week. Not sure about later next week...for me, though, any forecast that looks more than a few days ahead isn't really a forecast you can rely upon with any confidence...he'ck, the BBC can't even get a 24 hour forecast right.

Newspapers will report on anything if they think it'll sell a few more copies...and bugger the truth.
Still will have Autumn to come and it's colours, and winter frosts and snow, and being up there puts you at an advantage, especially for the snow covered hills!

Still will have Autumn to come and it's colours, and winter frosts and snow, and being up there puts you at an advantage, especially for the snow covered hills!
Winter landscapes are stunning up here. I particularly like getting images that contrast lower levels devoid of snow with higher ground covered in snow...often the difference can be seen as a stark line: on the one side the gray of land devoid of snow and within just a few feet the other side there is deep virgin snow. Stunning.

In the Pennines there are plenty of contrasts like this. On the higher moors there are few, if any, trees. I can take off from a high hill and shoot video of a completely treeless landscape then fly down the hill and my video is awash with countless trees. One such place is only a mile or so away from where I'm sat now.

I'm a bit soft when it comes to cold weather. I don't do well when it's hot with temperatures up towards 30C but I do just as badly when the temperature is down towards freezing...so much so that if it's cold outside I need to put sticking plasters over my nipples because they get hard and sore in the cold! For this reason I don't tend to get many images or video of snowscapes these days, however I did do alot a couple of years ago using Phantoms. Most notable was in early 2015 when I managed to make a couple of very striking aerial videos on Crompton Moor.

At the risk of attracting the wrath of some other forum members here is a compilation of some of those early 2015 flights shot using a P2V. A simple gimbal on this aircraft so video is not as stable as we would expect these days. A bit on the long side this video at 5:28 length, but a good sequence can be found at time 2:08 minutes.

Last edited:
Winter landscapes are stunning up here. I particularly like getting images that contrast lower levels devoid of snow with higher ground covered in snow...often the difference can be seen as a stark line: on the one side the gray of land devoid of snow and within just a few feet the other side there is deep virgin snow. Stunning.

In the Pennines there are plenty of contrasts like this. On the higher moors there are few, if any, trees. I can take off from a high hill and shoot video of a completely treeless landscape then fly down the hill and my video is awash with countless trees. One such place is only a mile or so away from where I'm sat now.

I'm a bit soft when it comes to cold weather. I don't do well when it's hot with temperatures up towards 30C but I do just as badly when the temperature is down towards freezing...so much so that if it's cold outside I need to put sticking plasters over my nipples because they get hard and sore in the cold! For this reason I don't tend to get many images or video of snowscapes these days, however I did do alot a couple of years ago using Phantoms. Most notable was in early 2015 when I managed to make a couple of very striking aerial videos on Crompton Moor.

At the risk of attracting the wrath of some other forum members here is a completion of some of those early 2015 flights shot using a P2V. A simple gimbal on this aircraft so video is not as stable as we would expect these days. A bit on the long side this video at 5:28 length, but a good sequence can be found at time 2:08 minutes.
I can feel the cold!?

Yes. I have decided to have a fly tomorrow and my Gifi is on charge now as I write this. I'm intending to fly a place called
Besom Hill Country Park, Ripponden Rd, Denshaw, Oldham OL4 2LA, UK. This is another abandoned quarry that has a large stainless steel cross at the top of the hill that can be seen for miles around. Indeed, as I look out from my window I can see it glinting in the sunlight.

I don't feel energetic enough to walk up to the top of the cliff, my arthritis is playing me up at the moment, but there is an area suitable to launch my aircraft at the foot of the cliff...let the TH do all the work.

Yes. I have decided to have a fly tomorrow and my Gifi is on charge now as I write this. I'm intending to fly a place called
Besom Hill Country Park, Ripponden Rd, Denshaw, Oldham OL4 2LA, UK. This is another abandoned quarry that has a large stainless steel cross at the top of the hill that can be seen for miles around. Indeed, as I look out from my window I can see it glinting in the sunlight.

I don't feel energetic enough to walk up to the top of the cliff, my arthritis is playing me up at the moment, but there is an area suitable to launch my aircraft at the foot of the cliff...let the TH do all the work.
It turned out that I was able to get to the top of the hill. Video is here Besom Hill Cross

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mathewthomasmt