Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Circle of Death

Reaction score
OMG!

My second flight,
Having issues with the transmitter connecting to the camera yet I can see video and take video but the gimbal does not rotate or swivel up or down.
Take it up to about 20 feet,
Fly around a bit, she is quite a bit more nimble than my Q5004K kind of took me by surprise,
Pressed the video button and started recording,
Started to Yaw to take a panaramic and after I completed one revolution and stopped she started to drift a bit almost like she was dizzy. :)
Started to bring her back to land cause she was acting a little strange, drifting this way and that and when I would give the controls some movement to try to correct the drift she would jerk and then not go where I wanted her to
Decided to land and then it started.........OMG
The circle of death. I started to panic. I cant land her when she was doing that. After about 2 - 3 mionutes trying to get her to calm down I was finally able to minimize the circular drift and got her on the ground.
Shut her down and decided this was enough for today until I can figure out why the circular drift.

Same thing with mine...
I have a total of less than 7 minutes flight time with my new H...
Practicing take offs and landings, happened each time I tried to land...
Very erratic....
Didn't respond to controls ( Angle Mode, OA Off ) 15-17 SATS
When landing, hits hard and flips over.
Did calibrations to Compass and Accelerometer
Talked to Yuneec Support a number of times and they RMA'd it.
Didn't have the H for 48 hrs !
Support said they have had a few with the same problem.

Hummmm. Sounds not good. Always angel mode and OA off. Double , triple check. Then check again..lots of hovering two three batteries be safe my friends and have fun

Hummmm. Sounds not good. Always angel mode and OA off. Double , triple check. Then check again..lots of hovering two three batteries be safe my friends and have fun
Angle Mode = Yes, always (for now)
OA = Off yes
Lots of Hovering = 5 months experience with 4 battereis Q5004K

Going to recal compass and acceleromator when I get home from work.
The camera not calibrating correctly worries me but not as much as the circular drift.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Plus, I'm gonna do the updates. Hopefully after doing all that my issues will be gone.

The accelerometer calibration is extremely important. Make sure it's on a very level surface and doesn't get moved while it boots up and during the calibration. Also pick a level launch spot to take off.

Not that it will necessarily help but before I flew my H, I did all firmware updates and all calibrations and I;ve not had any flight problems (touch wood, famous last words) Hope you get it sorted. I can imagine the panic I would feel if something similar happened.

If you received your Typhoon H and calibrated the compass, then this is what can occur. It's caused by a misaligned compass which affects the IMU (the IMU is attempting to correct the compass issue hence the circle of death).

I'm going to agree with ya on this Captain.

If you received your Typhoon H and calibrated the compass, then this is what can occur. It's caused by a misaligned compass which affects the IMU (the IMU is attempting to correct the compass issue hence the circle of death).
Yes, I calibrated the compass but I performed the calibration with props installed. This made it awkward to easily spin the unit on the arms.

Circle of death ! ?.. Hello Sorry I'm new to this forum and just purchased a H on Monday , it hasn't been flown yet hopefully tomorrow. I've seen some footage where the calibration wasn't done and it flew fine ... So I am wondering if I need to calibrate or not. I have only one battery atm with another 3 on order coming next week or so I am told, so I'm hoping my first experience will not include any flipping on landing ! Obs off and in angle :)

OMG!

My second flight,
Having issues with the transmitter connecting to the camera yet I can see video and take video but the gimbal does not rotate or swivel up or down.
Take it up to about 20 feet,
Fly around a bit, she is quite a bit more nimble than my Q5004K kind of took me by surprise,
Pressed the video button and started recording,
Started to Yaw to take a panaramic and after I completed one revolution and stopped she started to drift a bit almost like she was dizzy. :)
Started to bring her back to land cause she was acting a little strange, drifting this way and that and when I would give the controls some movement to try to correct the drift she would jerk and then not go where I wanted her to
Decided to land and then it started.........OMG
The circle of death. I started to panic. I cant land her when she was doing that. After about 2 - 3 mionutes trying to get her to calm down I was finally able to minimize the circular drift and got her on the ground.
Shut her down and decided this was enough for today until I can figure out why the circular drift.
Were you in Smart Mode ? or the circle of death followed you like the Grim Reaper into the Angle mode?

Ok, my nomenclature of 'Circle of Death' was incorrect as I have seen it used to describe the Safe Mode radius around the controller while in Safe Mode. That is not what I was referring to. I was in Angle mode.
My situation was that the H while in the air in Angle mode was drifting in ever increasing circles. When I tried to land it it was moving sideways so fast it would have tipped over upon contact with the ground.

Update:
I updated the firmware on the H and the only thing that updated was the gimbal. That update seemed to fix my issue of the gimbal being unresponsive to any transmitter input. So, that's fixed.

I recalibrated my accelerometer and compass once I got home and was able to place the bird on a known level surface without the propellors installed to interfere.
I flew her for 10 - 12 minutes or so and she acted as one would expect. No drifting and no unwarranted circles.

Everything appears to be working as planned now.

@Luckyleaf,
I would recommend you perform at least a compass calibration before trying to fly. It only should be required to be done once as long as you dont travel to far (I think most say 50 -100 miles from the point of calibration).
Tip.....Do the compass calibration without the propellors installed. It just makes twisting the H easier without getting your arms all tangled in the props.

Ok, my nomenclature of 'Circle of Death' was incorrect as I have seen it used to describe the Safe Mode radius around the controller while in Safe Mode. That is not what I was referring to. I was in Angle mode.
My situation was that the H while in the air in Angle mode was drifting in ever increasing circles. When I tried to land it it was moving sideways so fast it would have tipped over upon contact with the ground.

Update:
I updated the firmware on the H and the only thing that updated was the gimbal. That update seemed to fix my issue of the gimbal being unresponsive to any transmitter input. So, that's fixed.

I recalibrated my accelerometer and compass once I got home and was able to place the bird on a known level surface without the propellors installed to interfere.
I flew her for 10 - 12 minutes or so and she acted as one would expect. No drifting and no unwarranted circles.

@Luckyleaf,
I would recommend you perform at least a compass calibration before trying to fly. It only should be required to be done once as long as you dont travel to far (I think most say 50 -100 miles from the point of calibration).
Tip.....Do the compass calibration without the propellors installed. It just makes twisting the H easier without getting your arms all tangled in the props.
So very glad to hear you got it squared away ! I felt it might have been the accelerometer calibration, as your symptoms are exactly what a needed calibration on accerlorometer does! Glad for you ! and Fly safely my Friend !

Good that you figured it out, but I wonder how many pilots check the solar K-Index before flying.

Update:

@Luckyleaf,
I did the compass calibration and first flight today, I stayed in the pilot mode throughout ... Lost my video link half way through probably because mushroom antenna was pointing downwards but I was in an open area by the coast got some good footage for first go, even though it cut short maybe because I lost link ! Who knows I way too busy looking up in the sky ... ;) awesome .... Can't wait for my extra batteries to come next week !

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval