Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Compass

Reaction score
OK....I'm reasonably intelligent (he thought to himself), I understand most things (given time)
I'm a bit slower at my age than I was when younger (a long time ago).....
BUT...Can the highly educated, massively experienced of those among us please explain why we have to wave our birds ...and phones....about in the air for the compass to work?
Why can't it just scan and say to itself....OH magnetic north is over that way.
I know it does move about, but It's really never going to change that much in our lifetime to make a difference so why the crazy loop the loop (hopefully out of sight of laughing bystanders)
I await an over the top scientific explanation
I'll go get another beer now while I wait
Cheers
Pete

Reactions: DCH
Compass dance is a need to keep us agile.:D

The compass chip is not that simple as a compass as we know. It is a 3 axis digital sensor for low level geomagnetic field measurement. It estimates the orientation in a 3D environment. There is a build in automatic degaussing and offset cancellation, that needs correction values to compare and estimate.

To move it in a defined order allows the firmware to set up the filters to interpret the values from the sensor. SW filters are needed to identify what values are what are possibly wrong, what should be used and which values better not.
In telemetry, column 'Error_Flags' you can see that sometimes so called Compass calibration Warnings are raised by the SW processes.

br HE

Reactions: WTFDproject and DCH
Ohhhhhkay!!!!! :confused: o_O
The planet you live on is obviously quite different to the planet I live on. :cool:
My head is full of words and music to 60's and 70's Beatles, ABBA, Four Tops and some Beach Boys etc etc :D
That went right over the top of my music and might have erased some of it...I hope not. :eek:
Maybe you could have just said it needed a 3 dimensional interpretation instead of a 2 dimensional one.
But that's what I'm assuming you meant...sort of. ;)
ROFLMAO
Cheers my man, hope it's not toooocold over there in Europe.
Been to Frankfurt many times over the years ...actually Mainz.
Had a few great christmases in the market drinking gluhwein, certainly kept the cold at bay.
Loved it there, couldn't understand a word but had a great times in the local bars and restaurants :p
Pete

Reactions: DCH
Yes! What he said
Allow me to interpret this outstanding explanation given by @h-elsner for the layman.

The compass needle is virtual and so is the pivot, as well as all the marking we are use to.
So the dance is required for us to receive the blessing from the virtual compass gods.

We need to practice this dance and get it down correctly for them to look upon us with favor and bless our virtual compasses. One miss-step or faux pas and the gods make us recite the dance over until we get it right. :cool:

We have -2° in Germany. Cloudy and sunny... No snow at all. Music 60's and 70's for me is more Jefferson Airplane, Cream or Mountain. I think we are in the same age. From Australia currently I like John Butler Trio, such things...

Merry Christmas btw...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop