Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Connecting with other cameras using ST16

Reaction score
Hi five, flying brothers!

Are there any mothods how to connect with other cameras using ST16? using a flying mode in same time ofcourse!
Im thinking about little tune ups of my black hex.

The only camera that works would be the CGO3+, how would you connect a "different" camera anyhow? You can use a separate ST16 transmitter to control the camera only. So that would mean 1 person flying the hex & the other person controlling the camera with a separate ground station...

I am actually working on a project similar to this. I am working with the programming on the ST16 to see if I can use aftermarket equipment. The ST16 is Android-based so one should be able to download a different app to use with other cameras. Just hit up google play. Don't be fooled by naysayers. Some can be discouraging and lead you wrong.

The only camera that works would be the CGO3+, how would you connect a "different" camera anyhow? You can use a separate ST16 transmitter to control the camera only. So that would mean 1 person flying the hex & the other person controlling the camera with a separate ground station...
I wonder if someone might be able to use an ST16 to control the bird and an ST10 to control a different camera like a CGO2 or GoPro type. Yes, two controllers would be aggravating but not impossible. Just make the wife get off the couch and help. lol

I am actually working on a project similar to this. I am working with the programming on the ST16 to see if I can use aftermarket equipment. The ST16 is Android-based so one should be able to download a different app to use with other cameras. Just hit up google play. Don't be fooled by naysayers. Some can be discouraging and lead you wrong.
Necessity is the mother of invention, why try to "fix it" if it ain't broke?
Guess if you "can", why not?

Reactions: cabinfourus
Thats satysfying info. I don't like when someone says "it is impossible". I don't wont to buy another monitor, especially when I have two ground station ST16.

What I'm thinking about is connection of Typhoon H with Flir Vue Pro.

Reactions: cabinfourus
Thats satysfying info. I don't like when someone says "it is impossible". I don't wont to buy another monitor, especially when I have two ground station ST16.

Have you tried a Google search on “Flir vue pro typhoon h”?

Returned articles and YouTube clips for me.

Jeff

I will chime in on this if I find a better way. I agree with Jeff (norwispilot) on the google search. I love finding the fix when others say it won't work.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
Suppose we have an CGO3 from a q500 and want to use it on an H. The main difference I can think of is the 360 degree rotation function of the H gimbal. If the gimbals are the same for both the H and the q500 (I have not confirmed this) then the adjustment would be in the software. The actual camera is the same in both H and q500. My H is being repaired after a hard landing that damaged the camera and gimbal. I haven't heard the good or bad news from the repair techs yet. I am considering getting a q500 for a few reasons; I like it the drone, it's a bargain on Ebay AND I'd like to see if the gimbal and camera could be adapted for use on the H. I suspect the software in the ST-16 allows this same controller to operate a q500 if it is chosen in the settings. It might mean sacrificing the 360 degree feature on the H. Any thoughts?

You can use the CGO3 on the Typhoon H. The power step-down converter is able to supply the 5V rail from 3S and as well as from 4S.
The PWM signal for camera tilt is there for compatibilty. But the serial interface is not supported by the CGO3, thus you will miss some functionalites regarding the tasks.
And 360° feature is also not available due to mechanical differences and missing serial link to control. Video downlink works with only 480p instead of 720p. You will get artefacts on the ST16 screen.

br HE

I suspect the software in the ST-16 allows this same controller to operate a q500 if it is chosen in the settings.

Yes, the ST-16 fully supports the 500 itself. It does not have a pre-defined model with a Q500 icon. If you create a new Typhoon H model and bind the Q500 to it, the controller recognizes the Q500 and makes the adjustments. You will see the motor failure graphic on the ST16 screen change from a TH hex symbol to a Q500 Quad symbol. I fly a Q500 on an ST16 on a regular basis.
As mentioned by @h-elsner, the standard CGo3 creates a LOT of artifacts on the ST16 screen, especially if the CGo3 firmware is out of date. The on-screen video is much cleaner if you update the CGo3 to the latest available, but it will still have some artifacts. The video and photos recorded on the camera SD card are not affected. They will look fine.
If you happen to have a CGo3+ main video processor available, it is physically almost identical to the one in your CGo3, and is relatively easy to exchange. Installing a CGo3+ main processor provides a clear ST16 video, and gives you access to the advanced camera settings (CGo3 Pro mode).
I found no way to get a CGo3 main processor to accept CGo3+ firmware. The last of the CGo3 cameras came with CGo3+ main processors. They are programmed with standard CGo3 firmware. Even these CGo3 cameras will not accept an upgrade to CGo3+ firmware. Even if you move the processor to an actual CGo3+ camera, mount it on a TH, and use an ST16 controller, it will NOT accept the update. Bummer.

I am impressed by the technical knowledge of members responding to my query about substituting a CGO3 q500 camera into my Typhoon H. I will not claim to understand every point made but it gives me a starting opoint to do some further research. Many thanks to all of you. Who know, maybe the guys working on my drone at Carolina Dronz will be able to render the damaged camera and gimbal operable. I still may go ahead and purchase a q500. I believe its gender is female and the Hex is male. Together they might produce a Yuneec offspring, the "Brat" similar to a "Spark" or "Mini". Thanks again for input.

While we're have some experts talking here. I have a gopro gimbal. With a gopro camera, with the q500 add on gopro transmitter. This is enough to bond to a q500 and controller. I would feel complete if I could get the st16 to bond with this gopro setup.
I also have a3d printed mount that will take a Samsung galaxy s4 on a ride in place of where the cgo3 mounts. Id like to use the gopro transmitter connected to the phone's video out if I could get it to bond with the st16.
Why is this important.... because i have a thermal camera that is connected to the galaxy s4. Btw this thermal add on camera is only
$125. The galaxy s4 camera is only $40
Can be priceless in a search and rescue.
Locating a lost pet or child with thermal imaging for under $200.
Would also locate criminals on the run.

Search and rescue dream equipment at affordable costs.

I have made a 3d printed phone mount to attach a phone as a image receiver. As a 2nd screen to the top right of the st16 controller.

So far I'm locked out of options to connect the gopro transmitter to the st16. It works perfect on the st10 remote.

One other thing. Using the cgo3 and cgo3+ both work on the steadygrip. Both have pan and tilt. Only there is no option to rotate the cgo3+ around 360 degrees. No reason to restate it 360 degrees also.

I believe I have been able to mount the cgo3 on the typhoon h and the pan and tilt did work, only I was not able to bond the video feed.

Sorry for long post and hope I'm not hijacking the thread

I think the MK58 transmitter will not be recognized by ST16. Cameras are called with different addresses.
CGO3/3+ live stream: rtsp://192.168.42.1/live
MK58/GoPro live stream: rtsp://192.168.110.1/cam1/h264

This address is available in the firmware but not selectable. I think the binding process and/or control commands are missing for other cam.
It would be possible for Yuneec to add other cameras like MK58, LK58 or V18 to the selection menu in the ST16 but they didn't do that. Reason may be the different video downlink resolution.

br HE

I still may go ahead and purchase a q500. I believe its gender is female and the Hex is male. Together they might produce a Yuneec offspring, the "Brat" similar to a "Spark" or "Mini". Thanks again for input.
I have a Q500 and added later a Typhoon H. As result I got a smaller drone. :)
The first 3 weeks it stay by it's mother:
Mitflug1.jpg
Later it plays with her:
Kettershausen_17.jpg
;););)
br HE

While we're have some experts talking here. I have a gopro gimbal. With a gopro camera, with the q500 add on gopro transmitter. This is enough to bond to a q500 and controller. I would feel complete if I could get the st16 to bond with this gopro setup.
I also have a3d printed mount that will take a Samsung galaxy s4 on a ride in place of where the cgo3 mounts. Id like to use the gopro transmitter connected to the phone's video out if I could get it to bond with the st16.
Why is this important.... because i have a thermal camera that is connected to the galaxy s4. Btw this thermal add on camera is only
$125. The galaxy s4 camera is only $40
Can be priceless in a search and rescue.
Locating a lost pet or child with thermal imaging for under $200.
Would also locate criminals on the run.

Search and rescue dream equipment at affordable costs.

I have made a 3d printed phone mount to attach a phone as a image receiver. As a 2nd screen to the top right of the st16 controller.

So far I'm locked out of options to connect the gopro transmitter to the st16. It works perfect on the st10 remote.

One other thing. Using the cgo3 and cgo3+ both work on the steadygrip. Both have pan and tilt. Only there is no option to rotate the cgo3+ around 360 degrees. No reason to restate it 360 degrees also.

I believe I have been able to mount the cgo3 on the typhoon h and the pan and tilt did work, only I was not able to bond the video feed.

Sorry for long post and hope I'm not hijacking the thread
Are you the person I was talking with from eBay about this?? I love this idea and haven't looked into it yet, but plan to.

I just finished tearing down one each of the Yuneec gimbals talked about here. I found that Yuneec tried to get away from the GB200 so they could match their cameras to the gimbal. The GB200 (GoPro) gimbal is identical to the CGO3 on most Q500 and TH drones. The ONLY gimbal that is different is the CGO2 setup. But if you will notice Yuneec didn't stay with the CGO2 design very long before they returned to the GB200 gimbal. So, with this said, the software is where you will find the differences. Has anyone ever tried to flash CGO3 firmware to the GB200 setup?? I plan on doing this but Christmas has me way behind in my hobbies.

I just finished tearing down one each of the Yuneec gimbals talked about here. I found that Yuneec tried to get away from the GB200 so they could match their cameras to the gimbal. The GB200 (GoPro) gimbal is identical to the CGO3 on most Q500 and TH drones. The ONLY gimbal that is different is the CGO2 setup. But if you will notice Yuneec didn't stay with the CGO2 design very long before they returned to the GB200 gimbal. So, with this said, the software is where you will find the differences. Has anyone ever tried to flash CGO3 firmware to the GB200 setup?? I plan on doing this but Christmas has me way behind in my hobbies.
The one thing I do worry about is the calibration of the motors. If you had to change one of the gimbal motors (yaw, pitch, roll), now you need to calibrate. To calibrate you need to send to yuneec service center $140. As of right now there is no way for us to calibrate the motors on our own. So, if we flashed new firmware we might lose our calibration. Unless there were a calibration file we could copy back into the newly flashed firmware. At a minimum making a backup of the original firmware would be a must, and each backup would be unique to each gimbal. To start we need to have flashing software that works with the gimbal. With luck we could open the files and sort out what files are ther calibration files.

The one thing I do worry about is the calibration of the motors. If you had to change one of the gimbal motors (yaw, pitch, roll), now you need to calibrate. To calibrate you need to send to yuneec service center $140. As of right now there is no way for us to calibrate the motors on our own. So, if we flashed new firmware we might lose our calibration. Unless there were a calibration file we could copy back into the newly flashed firmware. At a minimum making a backup of the original firmware would be a must, and each backup would be unique to each gimbal. To start we need to have flashing software that works with the gimbal. With luck we could open the files and sort out what files are ther calibration files.
I think the MK58 transmitter will not be recognized by ST16. Cameras are called with different addresses.
CGO3/3+ live stream: rtsp://192.168.42.1/live
MK58/GoPro live stream: rtsp://192.168.110.1/cam1/h264

This address is available in the firmware but not selectable. I think the binding process and/or control commands are missing for other cam.
It would be possible for Yuneec to add other cameras like MK58, LK58 or V18 to the selection menu in the ST16 but they didn't do that. Reason may be the different video downlink resolution.

br HE
For this MK58 (add on video transmitter to send gopro video to the remote) perhaps we could edit the files within the MK58 so it matches the address of a CGO3+ so we can bind it to the ST16 without having to change anything on the ST16.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval