Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Crazy videos on SD card

Reaction score
Last Sunday, I was flying my Q500 4k at the AMA club where I'm a member, and in the time there, I took 17 in-flight videos. My videos have turned out great so far, with the only problem being, the camera gets tilted sideways on some flights. Last Sunday though, there was another club member flying a racing drone with FPV goggles, and a range booster on a tri-pod next to him. I don't know what kind it is, but it had a female voice talking to him, letting him know battery percentages, signal strength....etc. Anyways, when I got home to view the videos from the SD card, 3 of the videos are really choppy, and struggle to play. It seems to skip through the video, showing random still-shots. One thing I noticed about the 3 videos is, the other drone was being flown while I was flying. In the other 14 videos I took, that turned out fine, I don't see the other person flying his racing drone. I'm told that this is coincidence. But, I don't think so. What are the odds of the only bad videos being the videos I made while another drone was flying? What could've caused this? Seems like once my camera starts recording, nothing should be able to interfere with it. But, it sure does seem like that's what happened.

Last Sunday, I was flying my Q500 4k at the AMA club where I'm a member, and in the time there, I took 17 in-flight videos. My videos have turned out great so far, with the only problem being, the camera gets tilted sideways on some flights. Last Sunday though, there was another club member flying a racing drone with FPV goggles, and a range booster on a tri-pod next to him. I don't know what kind it is, but it had a female voice talking to him, letting him know battery percentages, signal strength....etc. Anyways, when I got home to view the videos from the SD card, 3 of the videos are really choppy, and struggle to play. It seems to skip through the video, showing random still-shots. One thing I noticed about the 3 videos is, the other drone was being flown while I was flying. In the other 14 videos I took, that turned out fine, I don't see the other person flying his racing drone. I'm told that this is coincidence. But, I don't think so. What are the odds of the only bad videos being the videos I made while another drone was flying? What could've caused this? Seems like once my camera starts recording, nothing should be able to interfere with it. But, it sure does seem like that's what happened.

I don't think it was coincidence either; sounds like it could have been signal interference. What he probably had on the tripod was a antennae tracker with a antenna booster to track, and boost his signal. The antenna booster, and tracker operate off of battery power, and with wearing goggles he has no way of monitoring the status of the batteries voltage on the tripod, so he has some neat gadget that tells him the status. Never seen it before but it sounds neat.

Most FPV racers before flight get with each other to find out what frequency they're flying on just so they don't get signal interference. Sorry but I don't think the Q has that option.

I dont think that interference would have caused the video problem, the camera records straight to the card. Interference would cause you to lose video on the st10, but video should still record fine. as far as the gimbal being tilted a bit, i have had that issue, just be sure when you start up the Q, to see if the camera levels itself off, if not, power cycle the Q that should straighten it out. the video problem may well the video card in your p.c. or maybe the sd card has an issue, reformat the card and try again.

sorry i have no definitive answer for you on this issue. Good luck!

Reactions: Tim Lewis
Hi,
I have a Q500 4K CG03. I have been using the 16GB card that came with the unit and have not had any problems, until recently. I started experiencing choppy videos and what appears to be stills because the video is frozen and than starts up again.

Being a photographer I have several digital cameras that take cards. There are two things that are very important for my cameras and I would assume the same for the Q's 4K CG03 camera.

1. The cards must be capable of being written to at a fast speed. If the camera is attempting to write video to the card faster than the card can store it the video will appear choppy and freeze. 2. It has been my experience that if the card is nearing capacity the ability of the card to store it slows down.

in my opinion a micro SD memory card that is a Class 10 and has a UHS rating of 1 should be used for the best performance (same as my cameras). The faster cards are more expensive but well worth the money.

With the card in my PC I deleted the contents of the 100MEDIA folder and started with a clean slate. It has worked well since. I supposed I could just format the card also and start with a completely clean card. I just need to make sure of the format and file system before I do that.

What could've caused this?
Yes, his video transmission could have interfered with your camera. They're both 5.8 ghz and, if he was using a large booster, the signal will walk all over yours if it's close to you frequency. During races, the transmitters are limited to (I think ) 250mw so they don't interfere as much. 600mw is common and they can get bigger than 2000mw for long range fpv. He most likely was using a one way 5.8ghz video transmission. Our Typhoons have a 2 way 5.8ghz wifi communication so it could affect what you're viewing on the transmitter and affect the controls for the camera as well.

Or your SD card could be full
My cards are all 64GB, and this one was at 15GB used so far. I'm thinking now, that these 64GB SD cards that came with my Q500 4k in a bundle are cheap. I bought a nice Class 10 Samsung 64GB card today, and hopefully there will be no more issues, if the card was the issue. It may have been his wifi signal was close and overpowered mine. I'm still new to all of this, so I appreciate all the input and opinions, for my investigations!

I dont think that interference would have caused the video problem, the camera records straight to the card. Interference would cause you to lose video on the st10, but video should still record fine. as far as the gimbal being tilted a bit, i have had that issue, just be sure when you start up the Q, to see if the camera levels itself off, if not, power cycle the Q that should straighten it out. the video problem may well the video card in your p.c. or maybe the sd card has an issue, reformat the card and try again.

sorry i have no definitive answer for you on this issue. Good luck!
I'm thinking that the 64GB SD cards I got in a bundle with the Typhoon re cheap. I bought a nice 64GB Samsung Class 10 card yesterday, that I'm trying out at a filming today. I hope the card was the only issue. I always record at the highest camera setting, but that day, I was told to try some 1080p settings, at 120FPS.

Hi - All good points. I've had the same problem with GoPro recordings at 4K. My computer is a bit of a clunker and I assumed it was overloaded until I researched it as a potential GoPro issue on their website... I don't even have a Typhoon yet so take it with a grain of salt. Anyway, HERE is a link to the GoPro page that addresses a similar problem. I don't know if it applies and can't explain why only some of your files are having the issue.

I'm thinking that the 64GB SD cards I got in a bundle with the Typhoon re cheap. I bought a nice 64GB Samsung Class 10 card yesterday, that I'm trying out at a filming today. I hope the card was the only issue. I always record at the highest camera setting, but that day, I was told to try some 1080p settings, at 120FPS.

ah 1080p 120fps, i have experienced the same problems in this setting, even with my new p.c. only tried it once and got choppy videos, 120fps is setup for slow motion edits(more frames per second gives a smoother slow motion effect), I havent tried the video (120fps) in any editing program because i got busy with other things. but just playing back the video was garbage. I will try and experiment further in the future and report back if i learn anything. All other resolutions playback fine, and I am pretty happy with the overall quality of the camera (all things considered). There are some improvements i would like to see in the future, but given the cost of the camera itself, It's not bad at all.

ah 1080p 120fps, i have experienced the same problems in this setting, even with my new p.c. only tried it once and got choppy videos, 120fps is setup for slow motion edits(more frames per second gives a smoother slow motion effect), I havent tried the video (120fps) in any editing program because i got busy with other things. but just playing back the video was garbage. I will try and experiment further in the future and report back if i learn anything. All other resolutions playback fine, and I am pretty happy with the overall quality of the camera (all things considered). There are some improvements i would like to see in the future, but given the cost of the camera itself, It's not bad at all.
I do remember now, that I was trying the 1080 120fps setting on those flights, but changed it back to the highest resolution. I flew with a group of drone businesses yesterday, after installing a new Samsung Class 10 SD card. I made 72 videos, and all are problem-free. But, still need to try the slow motion setting again to see how it turns out.

I do remember now, that I was trying the 1080 120fps setting on those flights, but changed it back to the highest resolution. I flew with a group of drone businesses yesterday, after installing a new Samsung Class 10 SD card. I made 72 videos, and all are problem-free. But, still need to try the slow motion setting again to see how it turns out.

Unfortunately Yuneec didn't spend much time on the camera functions in the manual. So we have to experiment quite a lot to figure things out. I had some confusion when taking pictures while the camera was set to resolutions below 1080p 120fps. Fortunately another member "webdster" posted the following that i found quite helpful and is not anywhere in the manual or on Yuneecs site.

( copied and pasted form user webdster)....

The "instructions" user manual do not tell everything.

You have two modes, thats correct.
1) Video-Mode
2) Photo-Mode

In Photo-Mode, you can not start video-recording, only take photos in
maximum resolution @ 4000x3000 pixel jpg OR dng (raw) and only in this mode.

In Video-Mode, you can take photos and recording videos, but not at the same time.
If you like to take a photo in video-mode, you have first stop the recording and
you only can take photos in video-mode by the the video-resolutions:

Video-Modes:
4096x2160F25 1.90:1 (256:135) 4K
4096x2160F24 1.90:1 (256:135) 4K
3840x2160F30 1.78:1 (16:9) Ultra HD
3840x2160F25 1.78:1 (16:9) Ultra HD
3840x2160F24 1.78:1 (16:9) Ultra HD
3840x1440F30 2,67:1 (24:9)
3840x1440F24 2,67:1 (24:9)
1920x1080F120 1.78:1 (16:9) Full HD
*1920x1080F60 1.78:1 (16:9) Full HD
*1920x1080F50 1.78:1 (16:9) Full HD
*1920x1080F48 1.78:1 (16:9) Full HD
*1920x1080F30 1.78:1 (16:9) Full HD
*1920x1080F25 1.78:1 (16:9) Full HD
*1920x1080F24 1.78:1 (16:9) Full HD
* > no photo-function ... notification in top of the display, while trying to take a photo.

Photo-Mode:
4000x3000 1.33:1(4:3)

Further, the pictures are different in their color, changing the video-resolution.

If you like to take photos, you should change to photo-mode.

Reactions: NRRTRAINS
I don't see a, "mode", for either. There's a picture button, and a video button. I don't see any modes to be in, just 2 buttons to push for whichever you want. What did I miss?

I don't see a, "mode", for either. There's a picture button, and a video button. I don't see any modes to be in, just 2 buttons to push for whichever you want. What did I miss?

You have to the cgo3 pro camera selected in settings then you will see on the st10 display a video and camera icon, this is where you select the mode.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval