Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Davinci Resolve 12.5 issue

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I've been having a play with Davinci Resolve 12.5 due to it having powerful colour grading capabilities. However when I try to render 4k footage with it (footage straight from the H's SD card) the resulting footage is a bit jerky/choppy. Footage straight off the card is fine. Anyone who uses Resolve 12.5 able to tell me what setting they use please for export/ render? I'm fairly new to this editor...

Equally, can anyone recommend other free editing software which will allow colour grading/ correction and handle 4k?

Thanks guys!

PS, my system is up to the job: GTX 970 etc, enough RAM etc

You get what you get when it's free! For less than an H battery, you can get PowerDirector 14 and then color grade all you want!:rolleyes:

From my understanding of the free copy of Resolve it will not support 4K resolution. I will also agree with my much more learned friend that powerdirector is a better choice and most times its on sale for 60 % off.

Thanks guys,

My understanding is that Resolve does support 4k, but if it won't play ball I will move onto something else. Happy to spend money but want to make sure it will still do everything I need.

Are you guys using Power Director 14 Ultra? Does it handle 4k footage from the H ok?

Thanks guys,

My understanding is that Resolve does support 4k, but if it won't play ball I will move onto something else. Happy to spend money but want to make sure it will still do everything I need.

Are you guys using Power Director 14 Ultra? Does it handle 4k footage from the H ok?
I do, and works fine for me! Looks great after editing on my 4K TV, I believe they have a 30 Day free trial, or at least they did when I tried it! ;)

From my understanding of the free copy of Resolve it will not support 4K resolution. I will also agree with my much more learned friend that powerdirector is a better choice and most times its on sale for 60 % off.
There is a difference between a 4k format and a USD format. Both are 4K resolutions but the free version of Resolve does not support 4K, only UHD.

You get what you get when it's free! For less than an H battery, you can get PowerDirector 14 and then color grade all you want!:rolleyes:
You're serious?

Divinci Resolve is the standard color grading tool for professionals the world over.

Send me a Di Vinci Resolve 4K video if you can my friend!;)
Why would I take the time to do that?

Are you assuming that 4K is not supported by Divinci. It is. The whole suite is free which is sort of amazing but if you want to use 4K instead of UHD, you need to pony up for Studio which isn't even that much money and if you buy any of their cheap controllers even, it's also free.

Why would I take the time to do that?

Are you assuming that 4K is not supported by Divinci. It is. The whole suite is free which is sort of amazing but if you want to use 4K instead of UHD, you need to pony up for Studio which isn't even that much money and if you buy any of their cheap controllers even, it's also free.
Exactly! Then it "isn't" free for 4K like you said! Just wanting you to clarify that for them! Why do you "take the time" to even use it then? To share your nice work with us all!;) And I know you stated the 4K is not free, just the UHD version

Exactly! Then it "isn't" free for 4K like you said! Just wanting you to clarify that for them! Why do you "take the time" to even use it then? To share your nice work with us all!;) And I know you stated the 4K is not free, just the UHD version
No. I own many cameras and UASs and work on film and TV as a job.

I'm a VFX Supervisor, DP and DIT.

Reactions: DroneClone
I tried the suite one, the one you pay for. For some reason I could never get it to run. The free version works fine, just prefer adobe premiere over Di vinci but 99% of the time I will use Cyberlink powerdirctor as its pretty much idiot prof and I don't like to over think things :)

Sounds like a great and fun job!:)
Just a job. :)

I want to be clear by the way, that UHD (which is a couple hundred lines short of 4K and is the TV standard 4K, 4K UHD is a few hundred lines short of TV 4K and "you can shoot for 4K while using UHD because of it" so there is nothing in Divinci Resolve that can't be graded from an H.

I tried the suite one, the one you pay for. For some reason I could never get it to run. The free version works fine, just prefer adobe premiere over Di vinci but 99% of the time I will use Cyberlink powerdirctor as its pretty much idiot prof and I don't like to over think things :)
I've always said, use what works for you!

That said, if anyone ever dreams of finding themselves grading footage in a professional environment, it would be wise to learn DR.

There are things it can do that you don't know of (some of you) like working on the same project simultaneously or with a producer but not sitting over your shoulder. Lots more control boards and the like but you can program any mini controller.

If you guys are serious about color grading, get yourself a 3 wheel color ball.

To each his own and just get the image you want.

I'm aware of my bias as I've been using Divinci before there was a digital version.

Mickeyboo the photojournalist that does all those great videos from Iceland told me about it and how he uses it. He also told me at one time it cost $30,000. It used to just be used for getting the best results for color correction and color grading and has only recently added editing capability to the mix.

Don't think I will need all the bells and whistles. I know the bought one is cheap now but like I said there was no way it would load a video where as the free version did no problem.
No idea why.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval