Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Displaying video on television

Reaction score
I've been watching my drone videos on my computer monitor. I have been recording at 1920x1080 30fps and I could run an HDMI cable to the television but that doesn't appeal to me. I seem to recall that the BD Rebuilder program has the ability to take MP4 files and create a rather primitive menu that allows selection of an individual file and create a Blu-ray disc structure. I'll probably do something like this when I have a few more but thought I'd ask here for advice on what others are doing.

If you upload them to YouTube, they can be viewed on a smart TV or via a TV box offering access to YouTube channels. 1920x1080 will display fine on a TV of the same resolution but if you want to view at optimal quality on a 4k TV you would need to shoot and upload 4k files.

Other options include streaming via Apple TV/Airplay or iTunes Home Sharing or Chromecast - and there's also an HDMI port on the H+ and 520 for a hardwired solution, albeit at 1280x720 max.

You could also play movies from a USB drive connected to your TV but you would need to check which file format your TV recognises.

I've been watching my drone videos on my computer monitor. I have been recording at 1920x1080 30fps and I could run an HDMI cable to the television but that doesn't appeal to me. I seem to recall that the BD Rebuilder program has the ability to take MP4 files and create a rather primitive menu that allows selection of an individual file and create a Blu-ray disc structure. I'll probably do something like this when I have a few more but thought I'd ask here for advice on what others are doing.
Why not just put your video files on a memory stick and plug it into the USB port of your TV? I thought that's what everybody did?

Reactions: AH-1G
My TV is Airplay compatibile. Viewing a file on my iPad or MacBook Pro, I just tap an icon and it starts playing on the big screen.

I also put finished files into my iTunes Library, and through AppleTV I can play anything.

Just throwing it out there....many ways to get this done.

I put the mp4 files on a thumb drive and plugged it in AFTER the television was on and the files were recognized and played fine. I had previously plugged a thumb drive in prior to turning the television on and it wasn't recognized. On a previous television I'd played music and viewed pictures but don't recall using it for video. All's well now.
Yukay mentioned Chromecast. I do have Chromecast but I couldn't find a way for the default Windows media player to cast to it. Is there an easy way?

Thanks Yukay. With the thumb drive plugged into my computer and Chrome running I hit Ctrl+O, selected an MP4, and clicked on the Cast Icon, Video plays fine

Up until about August last year I viewed (and edited) all my videos using my laptop at 1080 rez. Occasionally I had shot footage at 4K but while I was able to edit 4K and render out to 1080 it was not without some difficulty. Then my laptop started playing up due to overheating in last year's very hot summer so I decided to get a new lap top.

Having shopped around for a new laptop I came to the conclusion that a good laptop capable of handling 4K was very expensive so I decided to shift my focus onto a gaming tower using my 4K smart TV as it's display device. I found a good machine at a very favorable price which is well capable of handling 4K and is displays very good on my TV. So well in fact that I'm only sorry that I didn't go down that rout much earlier and save me all the heartache with buggering around with a laptop...I haven't looked back since.

Reactions: thetrecker
You can edit on a gaming tower?
Yes, no problem. It just like any normal PC but with faster processing power, enhanced graphics and loads of big fans to cool it down. It came without a keyboard and monitor so I use a wireless keyboard and it plugs into my tv via HDMI. Cost was significantly less than a similar powered PC with monitor and keyboard.

BTW. The editing program I use is called Filmora

You can edit on a gaming tower?

A gaming tower is a PC with high end graphics card/s, fast and ample memory, and large fast SSD or HDD storage drives.

gaming tower = pc not laptop
i have so many choices to watch on tv i can cast from my pc, cast from my android, use plex media player with the plex app on tv,
use YouTube app on my sky box. use YouTube app on the tv, use the YouTube app on my blue-ray player as its also a smart box

I thought a TV screen risked some compromises for PC users, such as input lag?

Most newer HD and UHD TV’s have what is called gaming mode that offers the faster response times on the input used. When used for displaying video for normal editing apps or playing back video it makes little difference.

I've been watching my drone videos on my computer monitor. I have been recording at 1920x1080 30fps <SNIP>

@jandjfrench, are you recording at 1920x1080 to accommodate ease of viewing on your computer? If you have a computer with enough processing power to run any number of free video file converter programs, that allow you to downsize a native 4K file to 1080... I would suggest shooting the full resolution capability of the camera.

Even if your current setup is not able to handle full 4K editing, you will still be able to archive those 4K master files, and continue to work with the downsized 1080 versions... until you upgrade your computer in the future.

Considerably less work than going back to a location to re-shoot in 4K...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smyers