Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

DJI vs Yuneec

Reaction score
Website
gualotec.com
Hi everyone,

I'd like to spark a conversation about the current state of the drone market, particularly focusing on DJI and Yuneec.

Personally, I believe DJI's business strategy has been incredibly successful. Their collaborations with software and app developers have secured them exclusivity and propelled them ahead of competitors. On the other hand, Yuneec seems to have fallen behind in this aspect. While it's possible this is an intentional market withdrawal, it's ultimately us, the users, who suffer the consequences when choosing their brand.

It's important to remember that DJI isn't the only player in the game. There are numerous other drone manufacturers from various countries, each specializing in specific markets and tasks. I've witnessed incredible hardware coming out of these smaller companies, offering unique capabilities.

My own experience in drone photography and inspection projects has highlighted the limitations I face with my Yuneec drone. If I want to continue in this field, I'm forced to either switch brands or accept a restricted scope of operation.

Ultimately, the "best" drone depends entirely on your intended use and expectations. From my perspective, Yuneec's lack of adaptation is disappointing, considering their potential to be a major competitor.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this topic. Feel free to share your experiences and opinions!

Fly safe!

- ED

DJI is technology leader for customer drones and rules the market.
Yuneec have had good ideas in the past but was not able to finally develop it. They stopped half-way.

Why I still use Yuneec (and will use)? This is the question comfort vs. freedom as for many modern technologies ---> I choose freedom.

br HE

not sure what you refer to as limitations. myself, I'm still flying 2 original white body Q-500's and a Typhoon H... they can go any where a DJI can... and as for the camera's... uh! what exactly are you looking for... I've attached 3rd party camera's including 3D and night vision... you have to look in the right places for adapting... I do know one mistake that people make... updates... why? if your drone is working fine, don't fix it... that goes for any brand... and any brand will drop from the sky if not properly maintained...

The drone market has changed drastically; and DJI (for the most part), changed it. When Yuneec was in the game, their innovations far surpassed DJI at the time. DJI was content putting out a new Phantom (exploding marshmallow) - every year until companies like Yuneec began to put their products out. The Typhoon was revolutionary - and still is - unfortunately Yuneec never could muster the final 5 or 10% of refinement it needed to be class leading.

This was because the 'Class' (the consumer drone market), at that time was very diverse. While the majority were hobbyists, the commercial side of drones was beginning and it was here that Yuneec held the edge briefly. But DJI focused in hard on the hobby side for their consumer line and separated out their commercial drones. Nothing DJI has put out in their consumer lineup in the last six years is better than their Mavic 2 Pro. The Mavic 3 Pro with it's micro 4/3rds sensor (in terms of imagery), is arguably ahead, but not by much. I still won't sell my Mavic 2 Pro for a Mavic 3 Pro.

So what is better? Longer flight times? Longer flight distances? Better obstacle avoidance? More AI? More autonomous flight modes? Finally a controller screen? A 12 megapixel image sensor designed for cell phones? Smaller? Lighter? More compact? Under 250 grams so you don't need to register? Really? This is the future?

What about the business end - the camera - got anything earth shattering there? No. Not really.

The majority of folks buying consumer drones today are - hobbyists. Plain and simple. So the drones they get are full of 'gimmicks' and 'training wheels' that appeal to a flyer who is less interested in their craft or becoming a better pilot, they just want the drone to do everything they need, to throw a video up on Youtube and share with their friends.

Rant Over - Merry Christmas. 🤣

Hi everyone,

I'd like to spark a conversation about the current state of the drone market, particularly focusing on DJI and Yuneec.

Personally, I believe DJI's business strategy has been incredibly successful. Their collaborations with software and app developers have secured them exclusivity and propelled them ahead of competitors. On the other hand, Yuneec seems to have fallen behind in this aspect. While it's possible this is an intentional market withdrawal, it's ultimately us, the users, who suffer the consequences when choosing their brand.

It's important to remember that DJI isn't the only player in the game. There are numerous other drone manufacturers from various countries, each specializing in specific markets and tasks. I've witnessed incredible hardware coming out of these smaller companies, offering unique capabilities.

My own experience in drone photography and inspection projects has highlighted the limitations I face with my Yuneec drone. If I want to continue in this field, I'm forced to either switch brands or accept a restricted scope of operation.

Ultimately, the "best" drone depends entirely on your intended use and expectations. From my perspective, Yuneec's lack of adaptation is disappointing, considering their potential to be a major competitor.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this topic. Feel free to share your experiences and opinions!

Fly safe!

- ED
Greetings to All,

As for my input on the conversation above... I could not have stated any better about your concern. To the truth on the subject, it's been known of the company's intention of what you've stated, ever since their service was eliminated for customer's support a couple of years back, to fend for themselves in group chats, like the one we're currently in.

I'm currently a building inspector, which lead me to purchase & upgrade my equipment of another brand, with higher megapixels, for better quality images, videos, and safety features. Thus, improving the quality of my work when it is being presented to the stakeholders.

No regrets thus far, but not much can be said other than, adapt to the changes, build up your tools of equipment, and move forward with your work or recreational goals.

[EA]

When Yuneec was in the game, their innovations far surpassed DJI at the time.
Agree. Yuneec's original inventor and owner, Tian Yu, was visionary and passionate. He developed the 1st electric manned aircraft approved for sale in the US. When he moved into the aerial photography platform he had the advantage of aviation experience and incorporated that into the flight controllers. The Typhoon H set a new standard with redundancy, excellent control and speed. And the only manufacturer to offer a 12 month warranty.

The loss of Tian Yu was a terrible setback for Yuneec. The new owner lacked vision and failed to understand the market. A series of copycat drones were expensive failures and hurt their reputation. The loss of experienced engineers hurt their innovation.

There are good reasons, however, that I have stuck with their products:
1. They don't seem to be bothered with affiliation and control by the CCP. (My chief complaint with DJI).
2. The aircraft and controllers were built to be repairable.
3. The systems are self contained requiring no connection to the internet nor a user acct.
4. There is no need for constant firmware updates. And updates were always optional, not mandatory like DJI.
5. The company has no ability to ground your aircraft. In fact, they never even contemplated such a thing.
6. The H Plus has a presence in the sky allowing me to see it. Not so with a mini.

It's sad the company lost it's momentum. Yuneec products could have been a market leader and pacesetter. I will continue to value and fly them. I still get a rush when I power up those rotors.

Agree. Yuneec's original inventor and owner, Tian Yu, was visionary and passionate. He developed the 1st electric manned aircraft approved for sale in the US. When he moved into the aerial photography platform he had the advantage of aviation experience and incorporated that into the flight controllers. The Typhoon H set a new standard with redundancy, excellent control and speed. And the only manufacturer to offer a 12 month warranty.

The loss of Tian Yu was a terrible setback for Yuneec. The new owner lacked vision and failed to understand the market. A series of copycat drones were expensive failures and hurt their reputation. The loss of experienced engineers hurt their innovation.

1. They don't seem to be bothered with affiliation and control by the CCP. (My chief complaint with DJI).
3. The systems are self contained requiring no connection to the internet nor a user acct.
4. There is no need for constant firmware updates. And updates were always optional, not mandatory like DJI.
5. The company has no ability to ground your aircraft. In fact, they never even contemplated such a thing.
6. The H Plus has a presence in the sky allowing me to see it. Not so with a mini.

It's sad the company lost it's momentum. Yuneec products could have been a market leader and pacesetter. I will continue to value and fly them. I still get a rush when I power up those rotors.

Item 1: Everyone depends on something - not my problem.
Item 2: I'm currently not sure what I like more: Tinkering, building test system and deal with it, analyze SW/FW and logs or flying that thing itself.
Item 3, 4, 5: That's what I ment with freedom.
Item 6: YES!

br HE

the typhoon H plus is the best, i have 2 of them, DJI drones are money pits.

Your six reasons are almost identical to my main reasons for keeping and maintaining my H Plus (I just bought brand new batteries). The nanny-ware situation with DJI is a nightmare. Period. I am still amazed at how many folks get shoe-horned into the belief that there is only DJI, they cannot conceive what a true 'pilot's drone might be, or perform like. Well Yuneec showed us and it is really hard to go back. ;)

Reactions: Steve Carr

Fly safe!

- ED
Ed, I will admit that DJI has advantages in many areas - thats no secret. But if I may ask - what specifically in the 'drone photography' or 'inspection' realms do you find restricting the scope of operations from say; a Typhoon H Plus?

And to that point. I am a 107, commercial real estate photographer (well it's the wife's business) and I have been doing aerial photos for her business for seven years now - predominantly with Typhoons but I also have a Mavic 2 Pro.

Where I live outside of Orlando Florida is some of the nations most complex airspace - 2 International Airports with a Class C executive airport in between to one side, and boarded on the other by Cape Kennedy which launches the bulk of US Space traffic. You have to know airspace to along down here.

The entire process to launch a DJI drone is some of the places I do is; laborious at best and at worst - sometimes impossible - when in fact I have full authorization from the FAA

I would argue this 'double layering' of permissions is placing far more restriction on my operations than any advantage DJI may seem to have. What say you?

not sure what you refer to as limitations. myself, I'm still flying 2 original white body Q-500's and a Typhoon H... they can go any where a DJI can... and as for the camera's... uh! what exactly are you looking for... I've attached 3rd party camera's including 3D and night vision... you have to look in the right places for adapting... I do know one mistake that people make... updates... why? if your drone is working fine, don't fix it... that goes for any brand... and any brand will drop from the sky if not properly maintained...
Hi, thanks for your comment. Well, battery life has been a real challenge for me. While I managed to get new units with more juice, even they only offer a maximum flight time of 25 minutes. The bigger obstacle, however, is the incompatibility between the Typhoon H firmware and the flight planning software I use for automated inspections. This limits my capabilities quite a bit. That said, you're also right that the Typhoon H is still capable of handling most regular tasks.

Greetings to All,

As for my input on the conversation above... I could not have stated any better about your concern. To the truth on the subject, it's been known of the company's intention of what you've stated, ever since their service was eliminated for customer's support a couple of years back, to fend for themselves in group chats, like the one we're currently in.

I'm currently a building inspector, which lead me to purchase & upgrade my equipment of another brand, with higher megapixels, for better quality images, videos, and safety features. Thus, improving the quality of my work when it is being presented to the stakeholders.

No regrets thus far, but not much can be said other than, adapt to the changes, build up your tools of equipment, and move forward with your work or recreational goals.

[EA]
Absolutely! It can be quite frustrating. However, communities like this one are invaluable - they offer fantastic support and help with troubleshooting.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Ed, I will admit that DJI has advantages in many areas - thats no secret. But if I may ask - what specifically in the 'drone photography' or 'inspection' realms do you find restricting the scope of operations from say; a Typhoon H Plus?

And to that point. I am a 107, commercial real estate photographer (well it's the wife's business) and I have been doing aerial photos for her business for seven years now - predominantly with Typhoons but I also have a Mavic 2 Pro.

Where I live outside of Orlando Florida is some of the nations most complex airspace - 2 International Airports with a Class C executive airport in between to one side, and boarded on the other by Cape Kennedy which launches the bulk of US Space traffic. You have to know airspace to along down here.

The entire process to launch a DJI drone is some of the places I do is; laborious at best and at worst - sometimes impossible - when in fact I have full authorization from the FAA

I would argue this 'double layering' of permissions is placing far more restriction on my operations than any advantage DJI may seem to have. What say you?
The real estate boom is showering skilled drone pilots with great opportunities right! In my own work, providing drone services for energy companies here, I depend heavily on software that automates flight and processes images remotely. But it seems software/app developers have mostly forgotten about Yuneec drones. This makes things quite tough for those of us who still use it. Fortunately, DJI drones offer fantastic features for similar tasks but yes it requires more prep work.

Reactions: Ty Pilot

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maahdevbook