Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Drift due to uncalibrated aileron stick

Reaction score
My Q500 4K has a problem where it keeps wanting to drift to the right.
I have performed the compass and accelerometer calibration several times, but to no avail.
I checked out the hardware monitor and noticed that J4 or the aileron stick for moving side to side was showing +20 without moving the stick. I found the info and went through the ST10+ calibration process.
During the calibration, I slide the Aileron stick from side to side, but couldn't get a green light. I went through the process anyway. After the calibration was complete, I checked out the hardware monitor page again and now the J4 channel is much better. At first it would center out at either -6 or +6, depending on which direction I would push the stick. After trying the calibration again, (still with out a green light on J4) I have it down to about -2 or +2. I haven't had a chance to fly after this, so don't know if this is enough to stop the drift.
However, it does still seem to have an issue in the fact that when I push the Pitch stick forward, the pitch (J3) will rise the way it is supposed to, but it also increases J4 (Aileron) control as well. It raises it up to +20 and when I pull it all the way back, it decreases the aileron control down to -30 as well as lowering the pitch as well. So, that would mean that when I fly, if I were to push the pitch stick forward, the bird would drift to the right as well as move forward. Also, if I push the pitch stick all the way back, it will drift to the left as well as fly backward. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

My Q500 4K has a problem where it keeps wanting to drift to the right.
I have performed the compass and accelerometer calibration several times, but to no avail.
I checked out the hardware monitor and noticed that J4 or the aileron stick for moving side to side was showing +20 without moving the stick. I found the info and went through the ST10+ calibration process.
During the calibration, I slide the Aileron stick from side to side, but couldn't get a green light. I went through the process anyway. After the calibration was complete, I checked out the hardware monitor page again and now the J4 channel is much better. At first it would center out at either -6 or +6, depending on which direction I would push the stick. After trying the calibration again, (still with out a green light on J4) I have it down to about -2 or +2. I haven't had a chance to fly after this, so don't know if this is enough to stop the drift.
However, it does still seem to have an issue in the fact that when I push the Pitch stick forward, the pitch (J3) will rise the way it is supposed to, but it also increases J4 (Aileron) control as well. It raises it up to +20 and when I pull it all the way back, it decreases the aileron control down to -30 as well as lowering the pitch as well. So, that would mean that when I fly, if I were to push the pitch stick forward, the bird would drift to the right as well as move forward. Also, if I push the pitch stick all the way back, it will drift to the left as well as fly backward. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
It sounds like a hardware problem rather than a calibration issue. I'm uncertain if you would have any luck getting electronic cleaner to penetrate to the inside of the control, but it might be worth a try. I'm guessing some dirty contacts on the pots could cause this. Guess the next step after that is look for an ST10+. I've seen them for sale at a very reasonable price from people who have totaled their Q.

It sounds like a hardware problem rather than a calibration issue. I'm uncertain if you would have any luck getting electronic cleaner to penetrate to the inside of the control, but it might be worth a try. I'm guessing some dirty contacts on the pots could cause this. Guess the next step after that is look for and ST10+. I've seen them for sale at a very reasonable price from people who have totaled their Q.
Hello steve,do you have video on how to clean st10 sticks?kinda scary if i open it.

If you have checked the sticks with Hardware Monitor and you notice the sticks seem erratic or sluggish or don't return to center on the graph, then the sticks need cleaning.
The video below shows you how to open the case. The screws are hex (allen wrench). 1.5 mm and 2.0 mm I think.
After you open the case move the sticks around to locate the tiny little square pot. It is inside a small plastic case. That is the piece that needs to be sprayed with electrical contact cleaner. Get the type that says Safe for Plastic. Spray the pot and move the stick around in all directions. Do this several times to make sure it's cleaned. You can clean up any excess with Que-tips. The rest will dry quickly. Put the case back together without the screws, connect the battery, turn it on and recheck hardware monitor to see if that fixed the problem. If it works okay then reassemble the case.

If you see the sticks don't return to center properly when looking at them with Hardware Monitor, then they will need recalibrated after cleaning. Search for the ST10 secret menu.

If you see the sticks don't return to center properly when looking at them with Hardware Monitor, then they will need recalibrated after cleaning. Search for the ST10 secret menu.
Hello,my prob is j4 wong turn green,what i did was factory reset then recalibrate my sticks after that igot thr j4 turn green once only.but all are centern to 0 on the hardware monitor.is that safe to fly even if i havent got j4 turn green?

It goes 100 but kinda sluggish after several use it goes down slowly.like crawling..will check again later.like to try this contact cleaner.this i what i want to see on how to do it using contact cleaner.thanks man

I'm using WD-40 brand. The automotive section in discount stores usually have electrical contact cleaner or automotive stores. Even Walmart.

Hello steve just sprayed my st10+ with contact cleaner (same on the video) and gladly it work now all calibration turn green and got 100%.now i dont have problem with j4.thanks for your help .

Reactions: Steve Carr

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval