Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Drone Crash, Send In Or Self Fix?

Reaction score
Well, I finally got the drone out of No Fly Zones to try and fly it. Lo and behold, my dumbass crashed it. It fell about 12 feet. So I snapped two of the plastic leg clips and the gimble attachment broke off. Everything seems to be in working order except for those broken parts.

I saw a video on youtube of the legs getting replaced. I personally am confident that I can open the H and change out the parts, but my concern is if the crash could mess with any of the systems. Like could something be out of calibration or the camera lens be out of position or anything of the sort (there's a thread on this forum about a misaligned lens)?

It obviously would be a lot cheaper for Yuneec to just send me the parts versus me sending the whole unit to them and paying for repair and shipping both ways (I live in Hawaii so, mucho pricey shipping). However, if there is a chance of any calibration issue that I can't do myself then it would be better for me to send it in. I'm new to this so I have no idea and don't want to risk such an expensive unit going haywire cause I was trying to save a few bucks. So should I self-repair or send the whole unit to Yuneec? Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
If it were me it would come down to time and expense. If it can be repaired by you in less time and at significantly less expense then go for it.

But first I'd be sure nothing else is broken. If there is anything scrambled inside it would produce an error when turned on. To check the camera, just hold the gimbal in place with your hand (pressed against the connectors). If it still connects and produces a good pic, and gimbal rotates, then you're all good.

Try to see if it will fire up and give you correct lights for boot up, if so, you should be okay to do yourself, just do all the calibrations, gimble, accelerometers, compass, imu and test fit out low after repairs

I booted it up. Everything seems to be working. I can't get the right lights since, lol, i'm at home and again in a no fly zone. I plugged the Typhoon in my computer and did a prop test and they all spin up. The camera came up but I can't tell if the picture is fine since I don't really have a before and after shot to test.

However, after the crash the camera turned 90 degrees sideways so the side of it was caught on the gimble. When I hooked it up and tried to see if it would turn, the camera strugged to pan since, obviously, it was locked against the gimble. I noticed this and finally pushed the camera so it wasn't rubbing against the gimble anymore. Would this have damaged the motor at all? I'm panning it now and it seems to be fine but I can't move it up and down since I can't fire up the drone.

Try to see if it will fire up and give you correct lights for boot up, if so, you should be okay to do yourself, just do all the calibrations, gimble, accelerometers, compass, imu and test fit out low after repairs

The only thing in the guide is a compass calibration. Is there instructions on how to do a gimble, accel, imu calibration?

The only thing in the guide is a compass calibration. Is there instructions on how to do a gimble, accel, imu calibration?
Yes, they are on here somewhere, but do not have time to look up post on my lunch break, Accelrometer is here: The others are in the same settings as you will see !!

ACCELEROMETER C ALIBRATION

STEP 1) Place the TYPHOON H on a level and stable surface. Switch on
the ST16 Ground Station and the aircraft and wait till the RC and WiFi
connected.

STEP 2) Make sure the FLIGHT MODE switch is in the middle position.
Tap the GPS Calibration button, and choose 'ACCELEROMETER'.

STPE 3) Keep the aircraft stable during the calibration process. During
calibration, the main led will blink red, green and blue slowly at first
and rapidly afterwards. If calibration succeed. The copter will restart
automatically. You will recognize the this when you hear the raising
tone.

NOTICE: You must do the acceler ometer calibration in no-wind condition.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If calibration has failed, the Main LED Status
Indicator will be solid white and you must repeat the calibration
process. If the calibration continues to fail, either the site of calibration
is unsuitable or the accelerometer is defective. Refer to your
Yuneec service center.

Dennis since you don't know these hexacopter so send it in. While it is gone go to Walmart and buy a cheap quad copter to learn on. You don't have to worry bout no fly zones while you learn. Sorry bout you crash.

Reactions: Ralphy
Well, I finally got the drone out of No Fly Zones to try and fly it. Lo and behold, my dumbass crashed it. It fell about 12 feet. So I snapped two of the plastic leg clips and the gimble attachment broke off. Everything seems to be in working order except for those broken parts.

I saw a video on youtube of the legs getting replaced. I personally am confident that I can open the H and change out the parts, but my concern is if the crash could mess with any of the systems. Like could something be out of calibration or the camera lens be out of position or anything of the sort (there's a thread on this forum about a misaligned lens)?

It obviously would be a lot cheaper for Yuneec to just send me the parts versus me sending the whole unit to them and paying for repair and shipping both ways (I live in Hawaii so, mucho pricey shipping). However, if there is a chance of any calibration issue that I can't do myself then it would be better for me to send it in. I'm new to this so I have no idea and don't want to risk such an expensive unit going haywire cause I was trying to save a few bucks. So should I self-repair or send the whole unit to Yuneec? Thanks for any input.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you manage to "fall" 12 feet?

Amazon has a sale on drones today. I bought a cheap $50 one to practice on.

I went to a park to fly and stayed low since it was my first time. Got a little comfortable with it. Some kid bumped me from behind and I dropped the remote. I think it pushed the joystick to one side and the H flew straight into a building.

It landed upside down on the ledge of the second story of the building. It seemed ok and only fell a couple feet but the motors were all still running. So I hit the red button to stop the motors. That stop caused the H to fall over the ledge and hit pavement.

I don't know the drone but I'm pretty handy. The video on the arm replacements seem easy enough.

When learning, never fly near people, especially kids! and especially near buildings and trees ! You needed to give yourself plenty of space and then some ! Hope you get her fixed up soon !

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval