Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Drone Insurance, who has it? 107 will need it.

Reaction score
I noticed on the bottom of a thread VH Drones has insurance if you buy from him. I think that if you fly commercially you will need it. Not having it will open you up to a litigation that could take years to get shed of.

I previously had a $1,000,000.00 general liability policy. Right now I am using Verifly as jobs happen. On the spot, hour by hour coverage as needed.

I have inquired about insurance and I can tell you it is terribly expensive. I think the cheapest quote I found was nearly $1000.00 per year. That was with $1,000,000.00 in liability coverage.

you can get it for as low as $10 an hour for $1000000.Pay as needed

I think unless you are working all the time the pay as you go option is great. The only nice thing with buying a policy is that you can coverage on your drones also for damage in a crash. If I could get crash and fly away insurance and then pay as you go on the rest that would be great.

Reactions: jchittam
I think unless you are working all the time the pay as you go option is great. The only nice thing with buying a policy is that you can coverage on your drones also for damage in a crash. If I could get crash and fly away insurance and then pay as you go on the rest that would be great.
Hi Brandon

Just wanted to chime in to share that Verifly does cover flyaways.

We also hope to add coverage for the drone (hull insurance) at some point in the future.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Cheers
David

Wow! Glad I found this info about Verifly. Sounds like a perfect solution.

I previously had a $1,000,000.00 general liability policy. Right now I am using Verifly as jobs happen. On the spot, hour by hour coverage as needed.
I also use the Verify app, $10 for $1,000,000 in low risk areas and $25 for higher risk areas and it is super simple to use. It places a spot on the map and gives you a 1/4 mile circle around it to fly insured. I listened to the owner of Verify during a podcast recently and he is going to add longer times (currently purchase 1 hour at a time) to app. Sometimes you need 2 hours or more and I prefer not to stop every hour and re-insure. Another thing that was coming was pre pay for time and location in the future. Plan your flight times and location and pay before you arrive. This speeds up your time on site and you are not fumbling with your phone prior to launch. Another thing I would like to see and was not addressed was if you have no cell coverage in the area you need coverage. I have areas that do not have cell coverage and I wonder if the app works in those areas. If anyone knows how it works without cell coverage, please let us know. Verify is one great way to cover yourself for liability (Not Hull) upto $1,000,000 which is sufficient for most real estate, construction jobs may require more (Up to $5,000,000) and would be another option Verify should consider in the future????? Overall it is a great app and fits a real need in the industry for people who are doing this part time or flying low risk most of the time (farm fields, uninsured) but occasionally fly a home or in a residential area where coverage would be required. It also lets you tell the owner or real estate agent know that you have liability insurance coverage upto one million dollars and shows that you are professional and take your flying serious. Agents and private owners I have mentioned this to were impressed that I coverage to that level and it made them feel more comfortable with me flying around their prized home. This insurance conversation question came up after the H videos up the front walkway at 20mph towards the large 10' stained glass front door, climbing up and over the house with a downward camera pan as you clear the house. Drone liability insurance is good for business and is so inexpensive with Verify that you can just add the $10 to the bill within the package.

Hi Brandon

Just wanted to chime in to share that Verifly does cover flyaways.

We also hope to add coverage for the drone (hull insurance) at some point in the future.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Cheers
David
Would it be the damage caused by a flyaway or coverage would extend to the craft itself on a flyaway.

I also use the Verify app, $10 for $1,000,000 in low risk areas and $25 for higher risk areas and it is super simple to use. It places a spot on the map and gives you a 1/4 mile circle around it to fly insured. I listened to the owner of Verify during a podcast recently and he is going to add longer times (currently purchase 1 hour at a time) to app. Sometimes you need 2 hours or more and I prefer not to stop every hour and re-insure. Another thing that was coming was pre pay for time and location in the future. Plan your flight times and location and pay before you arrive. This speeds up your time on site and you are not fumbling with your phone prior to launch. Another thing I would like to see and was not addressed was if you have no cell coverage in the area you need coverage. I have areas that do not have cell coverage and I wonder if the app works in those areas. If anyone knows please let us know. Verify is one great way to cover yourself for liability (Not Hull) upto $1,000,000 which is sufficient for most real estate, construction jobs may require more (Up to $5,000,000) and would be another option Verify should consider in the future????? Overall it is a great app and fits a real need in the industry for people who are doing this part time or flying low risk most of the time (farm fields, uninsured) but occasionally fly a home or in a residential area where coverage would be required. It also lets you tell the owner or real estate agent know that you have liability insurance coverage upto one million dollars and shows that you are professional and take your flying serious. Agents and private owners I have mentioned this to were impressed that I coverage to that level and it made them feel more comfortable with me flying around their prized home. This insurance conversation question came up after the H videos up the front walkway at 20mph towards the large 10' stained glass front door, climbing up and over the house with a downward camera pan as you clear the house. Drone liability insurance is good for business and is so inexpensive with Verify that you can just add the $10 to the bill within the package.
Thanks PPS

Really appreciate your support. I can chime in with a couple points. In addition to longer coverage periods, we are also adding a larger coverage area option and an option for increased liability insurance for customers who want a limit higher than $1m.

On cell coverage, today you do need either a cell signal or wifi access to purchase a policy. We are working on pre-purchase options to remove this requirement. The workaround today is if the site has no connectivity but somewhere nearby does, you could go where you have cell or wifi connectivity, select the area where you want to fly, start the policy and then drive to where you want to fly. You'll lose a little time in transit but it's a workaround for today.

Thanks for your support.
David

David,
Maybe you could add a pre-pay option that would start the coverage the same day, but start at a predetermined time.
IE: start my coverage at 5:00pm local time.

From what I have read, when a flyaway occurs, the drone usually will fly for a while before crashing.
So I am assuming that you are only covered if the drone does a flyaway and crashes in the 1/4 mile radius.

David,
Maybe you could add a pre-pay option that would start the coverage the same day, but start at a predetermined time.
IE: start my coverage at 5:00pm local time.

Hi Bob

Yes, that is a more elegant way to do pre-purchase and we are working toward that as soon as we can.

From what I have read, when a flyaway occurs, the drone usually will fly for a while before crashing.
So I am assuming that you are only covered if the drone does a flyaway and crashes in the 1/4 mile radius.
Hi David

Flyaways are covered, so if the you are flying within your coverage area and experience a flyaway, you are still protected against any third party damage.

See this faq.

I'm sure it's been said without reading the whole thread but the 107 required insurance is for liability, not for protection of your gear.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval