Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Drone on Drone - Anybody?

Reaction score
I've been having great luck filming two of my Q500s together....you just have to be very careful when they're 400 feet up & three feet apart. I've gotten pretty good at it and have advanced to one drone following the other in trail. No looking at monitors except for the initial altitude readouts to acquire each other. Once moving, don't take your eyes off them. Handling two controllers is awkward too. A collision would be costly but the results are fantastic.

If anyone tries this for the first time, let your first drone climb to a low hover, say 50 feet, let it sit there & use it as a target to manuever around with the 2nd drone. Take your time, learn, don't collide & don't get too close at first!...and watch the turbulence from one drone to another. You'll see one rock 'n roll from it & it could cause a collision. Will post photos soon!

Reactions: ArtCox
Are you flying 107? Doesn't flying 2 aircraft at once violate some rules? "No person may act as a remote pilot in command or VO for more than one unmanned aircraft operation at one time. "

For what it is worth, a 107 Pilot can fly a hobby flight. The only stipulation is; regardless of whether you are flying under 107 or as hobbyist, you must start and complete the entire flight under the given rules structure.

I am working on my next video and in one of the segments I am flying my H and H Plus together. These are not in a hover ;)

TwoSmaller.jpg

For what it is worth, a 107 Pilot can fly a hobby flight. The only stipulation is; regardless of whether you are flying under 107 or as hobbyist, you must start and complete the entire flight under the given rules structure.

I am working on my next video and in one of the segments I am flying my H and H Plus together. These are not in a hover ;)

View attachment 13484
Ty....write a brief on what you've done & how you go about flying two together. I'm no expert but good enough not to cause a collision...so far. I could get some good tips from you. Are you flying both yourself?

I am piloting both. However for hows and details, I'll have to ask you to wait till the video comes out. ;) I will say they are brief runs straight ahead. Due to the flight characteristics of a multi-rotor, they are difficult to fly in any real semblance of a 'formation' but the effect in the video comes across.

It looks like you have a sufficient background to understand what is needed. Basically, the strong point these aircraft have in terms of flying is that they hold their altitude better than they hold their heading (even when applying forward movement only), they seem to wander about the yaw slightly unpredictably, so I space them vertically by at least five feet or more then use the camera angle from the ground to conceal this fact. If they do wonder close (and they have) I have vertical separation as a buffer.

TwoMoreSmaller.jpg

I am piloting both. However for hows and details, I'll have to ask you to wait till the video comes out. ;) I will say they are brief runs straight ahead. Due to the flight characteristics of a multi-rotor, they are difficult to fly in any real semblance of a 'formation' but the effect in the video comes across.

It looks like you have a sufficient background to understand what is needed. Basically, the strong point these aircraft have in terms of flying is that they hold their altitude better than they hold their heading (even when applying forward movement only), they seem to wander about the yaw slightly unpredictably, so I space them vertically by at least five feet or more then use the camera angle from the ground to conceal this fact. If they do wonder close (and they have) I have vertical separation as a buffer.

View attachment 13486
I've tried flying straight down a railroad tracks and it is impossible to do so. I'd be interested in knowing if the + is better. Drone on drone and flying straight doesn't sound good

I've tried flying straight down a railroad tracks and it is impossible to do so. I'd be interested in knowing if the + is better. Drone on drone and flying straight doesn't sound good

The Plus seems to fly a little straighter but either, when close to railroad tracks and the bets are off. ;)

Drones on drones, eh?! Heck ya! It’s fun trying to fly both.. Been there done that, however it gets confusing, specially when the chase camera gets off frame lolz

You're piloting both. Thanks. Next question....how do you hold both transmitters? With me, depending on how high they are & where I'm at, I'm usually sitting in a chair with one in my lap & the other on a chair beside me. Sometimes I'll be on my back with the other on the ground to my left, the other on my belly.

I too have the trail 500 slightly above the lead. I have learnec to compensate for the "nose tuck" as the trail drone takes off immediately after the lead. Yes, it is difficult to keep the lead in view but with a little creative editing in post, I make it look decent.

You've got some expensive equipment. Be careful. My old 500s have been through the wringer. Both wear duct tape.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
Are you asking me or @thoneter ;)

If I had a penny for every time I've screwed up in life.................I wouldn't need to win the lottery. Check out my new Drone on Drone pics in a following post. Almost collided yesterday. How they missed each other I DO NOT KNOW.

How close is too close? I would say photo one. The last pic was intended to be first to get your attention but it ended up last. Anyway, greetings from Florida from Stephanie. Yes, I'm 70 but I ain't dead...yet.

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2019-01-01-23h19m55s731.png
    vlcsnap-2019-01-01-23h19m55s731.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 20
  • vlcsnap-2019-01-01-23h20m30s272.png
    vlcsnap-2019-01-01-23h20m30s272.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 21
  • vlcsnap-2019-01-05-23h55m31s930.png
    vlcsnap-2019-01-05-23h55m31s930.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 19
  • vlcsnap-2019-01-06-00h04m17s238.png
    vlcsnap-2019-01-06-00h04m17s238.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 19
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Ty! Beat number one! LOL. If you get two inches closer than that, you've just collided! That is not a cropped photo!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: thoneter

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval