Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Drones vs. Airplanes

Reaction score
So we just learned that the Drone that the 747 in London supposedly crashed into was actually just a plastic bag floating lazily around Heathrow (or was it Gatwick?)

First story was all over the news, of course. The follow up was a lot smaller.

In related news, I was out droning last weekend at a farm. The farm is about 6 miles from a small regional airport and about 20 from the nearest big airport.

I pushed the drone up to the max 400 feet for the first time and got some stunning shots. At 400 feet I could barely see the drone. After I brought it down I heard and then saw a small single engine plane flying around and based on how high my drone had been, I would guess the plane was well below 400 feet. And today I noticed a small private jet flying overhead that seemed to be also at or below the 400 feet level.

I know that big commercial aircraft are only going to be below 400 feet near the airport during takeoff and landing, but seeing those small aircraft cruising around at the same level my drone had been was kind of unnerving.

Now, I want to fly as safely as possible at all times, but I guess I am just curious what the rules are for flying small prop planes or even jets. Any thoughts?

Since you were by a farm, could it have been crop dusting ? alway good to call airports, even small to know schedules for dusting and other events

In california they are supposed to stay above 1000 feet. Helicopters are limited to 500 feet lowest flying altitude. Be wary of the news readers on tv. They need shocking news to keep you watching....and they are well known for making stuff up to keep the GULLIBLE watching. Just my two cents from hearing these breaking news reports turn out to be far from the real actual truth.

When I hear low flying planes coming I just drop my altitude....I have seen a few small planes and big helicopters breaking the FAA mandated rules they are supposed to know and abide by....they are flying illegally. My q500 won't even take off five miles from an airport! It legally cannot get up high enough or anywhere near into their airspace.
And yet just the other day someone asked me if mine was one of those illegal drones!@!!!!!@!!!????!!!
I have to hold my tongue and educate people who assume I'M the one the news readers are falsely reporting about when they repeat the false news stories and assume I spend my free time flying in airliners flight zones.
One guy said he hoped they would outlaw them by federal mandate, and he said he was a photographer! after a moment i asked him, "Didn't the paparazzi contribute to the death of princess Diana?" His mouth dropped open when i said maybe they should outlaw still cameras, because i never heard of any small multirotors killing anyone! He was so obsessed with the idea i should not be flying that he couldn't even see the point i was trying to make. We were in an unoccupied large grassy field park...just the two of us!

When I hear low flying planes coming I just drop my altitude....I have seen a few small planes and big helicopters breaking the FAA mandated rules they are supposed to know and abide by....they are flying illegally. My q500 won't even take off five miles from an airport! It legally cannot get up high enough or anywhere near into their airspace.
And yet just the other day someone asked me if mine was one of those illegal drones!@!!!!!@!!!????!!!
I have to hold my tongue and educate people who assume I'M the one the news readers are falsely reporting about when they repeat the false news stories and assume I spend my free time flying in airliners flight zones.
One guy said he hoped they would outlaw them by federal mandate, and he said he was a photographer! after a moment i asked him, "Didn't the paparazzi contribute to the death of princess Diana?" His mouth dropped open when i said maybe they should outlaw still cameras, because i never heard of any small multirotors killing anyone! He was so obsessed with the idea i should not be flying that he couldn't even see the point i was trying to make. We were in an unoccupied large grassy field park...just the two of us!
Yes, a lot of people are so uneducated about drones and let their lack of knowledge control their fear with anger. Then there are also a few of the idiots amongst us who fuel their fear !

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop