Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

E90 camera vertical gimbal wobble

Reaction score
As the title says, was out on the second set of flights with the H520/E90. Used most of the 6 batteries I had. About halfway through I started to realise that i was seeing a gimbal wobble on the video feed.

Now I'm back in the office I've had time review the footage and it wobbled from the first flight. After I did a survey grid, I put a Freewell ND8 filter on and the wobble was still evident. The only time it didn't show was when i was videoing straight down (nadir), when it was rock solid. Its very frustrating. Especially since the H520 flew beautifully, in a way that I know my P3P just couldn't have done.

I've seen this thread where I believe Peggy had the same wobble. I hope to fly a test on Monday for another project on Tuesday, but has anyone else recently found this?

The firmwares are all as I received back from Yuneec UK;
H520 firmware 1.4.9
E90 1.0.39_E
Gimbal 1.39.6
Datapilot 1.4.6.5

The other thread suggest downgrading firmware on the H520, but I haven't got a stash of older versions built up yet.

Can you take a picture of the gimbal on the H520 where we can see the dumpers in the foreground?

Thank you Arruntus. Never thought to check them. The dampers are indeed out of shape, its the first I've noticed. I'll try to get an image or 2 uploaded.

This is one i took yesterday but didnt have time to crop and upload. Think I'll find a tutorial on how to swap these over. Worth a try I guess.

IMG_20181111_125840.jpg

It's just what I've been thinking about. Several colleagues reported the same problem. The truth is that dampers, when they work well, do a very good job, but when you leave them unused you have to remove the camera from the H520. I leave it in the original foam. There they regain their original shape and then continue to work well.

Never leave the gimbal on the H520, if you are not going to use it to avoid these problems. I would leave it off for a few days to see if it recovers its shape, otherwise I would change it for the spare ones that come with the camera.

Even in the backpack, I have added a small piece of foan, just under the camera, not where you have the antenna, for when I carry the bird, not hanging and the dumpers making efforts.

You will tell us how it works after the "rest" ;)

Well that looks interesting! Thank you Graham.

I've also decided to put the original E90 foam insert into my case. The case I have is from MC Cases and has 2 positions for the cameras. The E90 foam has went in the space meant for the DY5 charger.

I did this with the printer Raise
The whole thing is blocked.
View attachment 12722

Good job :D

Still, I'm still worried about dumpers. Stretching and spoiling the way they do, forces you to remove the camera when you're not using it.

@claudius62 , a version of that but that has a tab on top to slightly compress the dampers and that piece itself withstands the weight of the camera? To carry the camera safely and also, that the dumpers do not suffer would be ideal :p

No, I redid a hard foam shell in the case so that the suspensions are no longer stretched. I can leave the camera on without problem.

If it wobbles only with the filter it is most likely that the filter has changed the balance point for your camera. You will need need to re-balance it by putting something similar to the filter weight at the back of your camera.

If it wobbles only with the filter it is most likely that the filter has changed the balance point for your camera. You will need need to re-balance it by putting something similar to the filter weight at the back of your camera.

Wingman that does make sense but I checked back and the first few flights have video with no filter and the wobble is still there. I've already changed the anti-vibration dampers but have yet to get out to fly it so I guess the jury is out!

Well i suppose i should update this. I flew it again and the wobble was still there, possibly a little reduced even without the ND filter.

I got around to doing the November 27th update yesterday and it has seemed to solve it. Havent flown it yet, but the wobble was still visible whilst it was sitting in the calm conditions of the office.

I should have a mapping mission due for Monday so I'll check for sure then.

If the problem occurs when you are with the drone, on the table, more than the dumpers, it seems more like a problem of the camera motors, or the firmware of the E90 that do not give enough power to the motors, a configuration problem. If we take into account that all of us who use the E90 are using the same firmware and we don't have that problem, it could be a physical failure in your camera.

If you know someone with an E90 that works well, ask him to let you try it to rule out that it's not the H520. Clean the contacts well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drakemerch33