Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

e90 gimbal going crazy while in flight - help needed!

Reaction score
Hello Yuneec pilots! Hope you are all well as I am not so (yet again).

Need some help:

Wanted to fly a bit this morning, had 4 batteries charged and went off flying. Everything was OK for ..... say 5 min. in the air.

Out of the sudden the st16s screen started to spin... First thought - birds stroke h520 (yes my ebee had been once chased by a pair of birds of prey at that location). Second - I must have collided with trees and my bird was falling down. Quick look into the sky showed that h520 was stable in the air clear of any trees and good 10-15 m above the highest ones. And the live video was still spinning.
Commanded (RTH) the drone to come back and when it was approaching me I could see that e90 was rotating in all directions. This stopped only after landing and turning off h520.

After powering the drone again gimbal was not moving by itself nor reacting to any commands from sticks/switches/controllers. It will not calibrate either.

Camera seems to be working, green light (steady) is on, pictures are taken and stored on a card.

Gimbal is dead!

FYI - no gimbal updates have been done recently.

I am getting frustrated with my h520. Have had it since June this year and I already sent it twice for fixing (1. - sticks of the st16s not calibrating and 2. - landing gear not coming down for landing). It never crashed nor hard landed. It is becoming a kind of a nightmare to have a tool marketed as a professional one and hesitating every time I go for a job whether it will work or not.

I am on a verge of taking decision about selling it ...

All your comments will be appreciated. First question is whether I need to send the gimbal over to Germany for service to fix it. Or is it something I can fix by myself (yet I am not that much of a technician)?

Otherwise I will be happy to know your thoughts ...

Regards,
Pawel

Depending on the way the bird is facing vs they way the camera is facing it can cause the same issue. Try to see if you can duplicate this again.

Hi,

Thx. The gimbal was originally facing forward before it happened. Tilting worked and this was pretty much all I did prior to it started spinning.

I cannot do anything now cause the gimbal is not responsive. It will not react and answer any commands. Looks like it does not get powered or sth. I tried to calibrate the thing but nothing happened. The process started but a blue bar on the screen did not move at all and gimbal either. No move no sound. Nothing.

If so, the gimbal has an internal problem and the camera will have to be sent in for repair.

There may be a broken wire inside the gimbal or a circuit board may have gone bad. In either case you will need to send the camera in.
You have certainly had bad luck with this 520. That is very sad.

There may be a broken wire inside the gimbal or a circuit board may have gone bad. In either case you will need to send the camera in.
You have certainly had bad luck with this 520. That is very sad.
Many thanks for your comments and advice.

I will send it off right away.

OH yes, looks like my h520 has been collecting all bad things which can happen to him.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Hi everyone
Paw, maybe it's not a gimbal, but a camera rotation dial on the left side of ST16. Maybe it got stuck? Or the PAN MODE switch? Or indeed a gimbal. I have no more ideas.
Please, forgive me my english. :)

Hi everyone
Paw, maybe it's not a gimbal, but a camera rotation dial on the left side of ST16. Maybe it got stuck? Or the PAN MODE switch? Or indeed a gimbal. I have no more ideas.
Please, forgive me my english. :)
Your English is fine. And those are good thoughts. Since Paw seems to be experienced I would thing he has checked that.

Your English is fine. And those are good thoughts. Since Paw seems to be experienced I would thing he has checked that.
HI,
Thx. both of you. Really appreciate all your comments and assistance.

I was checking all switches, I believe, while the bird was still up in the air as well as after landing. Including checking RC calibration screen. RC Calibration showed that all switches were fine.

The gimbal did not react to anything neither while in flight nor after landing. There was no response to changes of all three switches' positions governing movements of the gimbal.
The gimbal was simply dead, e90 working fine but limping.
Have reported this to the service whose diagnose is IMU failure. The gimbal is on its way to Germany now.

Thanks,
pawel

Reactions: Steve Carr
Thank You for these words. I have a little experience in forum conversations, so please be understanding. I'am glad that I could give advice. I just contacted with Pawel and we exchanged views. Thanks again and best regards. Olo

Hopefully @Paw checked the contacts, making sure none were out of position or dirty, before sending to repair center.

Surprised not to see contacts mentioned. Usually one of the first things the honorable Mr. Carr mentions.

[emoji41]

Looking forward to reading of the resolution.

Jeff

Hopefully @Paw checked the contacts, making sure none were out of position or dirty, before sending to repair center.

Surprised not to see contacts mentioned. Usually one of the first things the honorable Mr. Carr mentions.

[emoji41]

Looking forward to reading of the resolution.

Jeff
HI,

Have indeed looked the contacts up. Here how the cooter's ones look like2019-11-21 08.40.48.jpg

The ones on e90 looked very much alike.

Regards,
pawel

i had the same issue that lasted on and off for 6 months, finally sent the camera away twice for repair before getting a new one.
New camera has never had the same issue.

i had the same issue that lasted on and off for 6 months, finally sent the camera away twice for repair before getting a new one.
New camera has never had the same issue.
Thx for info.
Hope that my case will be different in that part that when I finally get my gimbal back it is fixed for good or maybe replaced with new one at once.
Pls. keep your fingers crossed, Thx.

Hi,

so the gimbal (e90) has just arrived back from service.
I have no clue whether to run calibration prior to flying or it is not neccessary. Will you help?

Service says that they did the following: "Factory calibration is performed and some parameters adapted. Long-term test performed 20 minutes without errors or vibrations.

So my question is - would you recommend making gimbal calibration first thing after powering h520 (before flying)?

Looking forward to getting valuable hints...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VertCold22