Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

FAA Regulations?

Reaction score
Last weekend I was driving by a new subdivision. I noticed that they were flying a helium filled balloon to attract people to look at their new homes. I live very close to the new homes and was wondering how they get to fly the tethered balloon?

We are within 5 miles of the airport. I would have to get a waiver to fly at my home. It seems that a sUAV would be much safer than a baloon attached to a tether? We have crop dusters that spray some of the fields around here and I know that they are lower than the balloon.

Anyone else run across this with commercial balloons?

Little Red Wagon

Red I can't really say what the US regs are like for tethered ballons but I can tell you thet here in Europe where I live the rules are a bit more relaxed. Last year I saw some survey work being done using a ballon with a camera attached inside the built up zone of the city and within the CTR of the airport. Drones would not be allowed there due to the limit of 50 meters clearance of all stuctures and the CTR.

I'd imagine they have FAA permission since they are a commercial builder and near an airport. Is the airport controlled? Call the airport or check Flight Service website to see if they filed a NOTAM.

Reactions: PatR

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ludwig