Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Fantastic Flights ... no footage (corrupt card!)

Reaction score
Nightmare story. Don't read if you don't want to feel ill at ease.

Shot some footage last week, first or second time on a new card. Lexar 633x 64GB bought from Peau Productions for a great price. Too good to be true?

When I went to format the card, I couldn't.

Tried all sorts of recovery stuff, nothing worked, in any machine. Reported file system errors, but could not fix - card write protected. But when in the Typhoon H, it did format .. at least it said so. I pressed record and it went in,to record, but I didn't check.

Shut down, and today, went out, drove about 100 miles. Found some cool stuff, flew a lot actually used 3 batteries in the same location, and landed on an icy lake, etc. Great time.

Got home ... I see only footage form my last shoot (prior to the format).

No recovery software detects anything other than the files from last week.

Bummer. (understatement)

Asking Peau Productions for RMA.

Lesson: CHECK YOUR STUFF before heading out.

Oh .. I wanted to mention .. I showed my wife some of the footage and stills on the controller ... here I was thinking it was playing from the Typhoon H via the controller .. no .. it's just cached in the ST16.

As I said: BUMMER

Now why didn't the system tell me it wasn't actually writing to the card? THAT is a big flaw!!!! I don't know any other system that uses SD cards that will pretend it's in record ... they just dont' recognize the card.

When you press the record button watch the top of the screen on the ST16 and it should say "Record" and then start counting the length of the recording. Whenever you are starting with a new card try recording a couple of short clips while you're still in the house. Also any card you use should have a 3 inside of the U symbol. It appears the Lexar 633X is a U1. Yuneec specifies a U3 card for all of their 4K cameras.
You can save yourself some money by using a 32GB card. It will hold many flights. Just remove the mp4 files after you copy them to your pc. And always carry a spare card in your case.

Thank you for your response. I TOTALLY agree with you on the "make sure your dealy bob records and plays back in the house". ... yes, after having card problems, I should have done that.

For what it's worth, when I pressed record, it SAID I was in recording, and I used the counting timer to gauge the length of each shot/clip. Go figure.

This Lexar card is an exact replica of the one I recorded on many many times on my other Typhoon H, and it worked flawlessly. THIS particular card in question is totally FUBARed.

Also, I just recorded a fairly long clip (several minutes) on an alder Samsung HC something .. (the writing is kinda worn out) that won't work in a GoPro Hero3 Black Protune, but works in DJI cams and apparently Typhoon H ... I just keep it around as spare .. it DOES work ...

I have the original 16GB card in my case, and another in my wallet ... I just didn't have the paranoia working to change cards between each flight like I usually do!

When you press the record button watch the top of the screen on the ST16 and it should say "Record" and then start counting the length of the recording. Whenever you are starting with a new card try recording a couple of short clips while you're still in the house. Also any card you use should have a 3 inside of the U symbol. It appears the Lexar 633X is a U1. Yuneec specifies a U3 card for all of their 4K cameras.
You can save yourself some money by using a 32GB card. It will hold many flights. Just remove the mp4 files after you copy them to your pc. And always carry a spare card in your case.

Thank you for your response. I TOTALLY agree with you on the "make sure your dealy bob records and plays back in the house". ... yes, after having card problems, I should have done that.

For what it's worth, when I pressed record, it SAID I was in recording, and I used the counting timer to gauge the length of each shot/clip. Go figure.

This Lexar card is an exact replica of the one I recorded on many many times on my other Typhoon H, and it worked flawlessly. THIS particular card in question is totally FUBARed.

Also, I just recorded a fairly long clip (several minutes) on an alder Samsung HC something .. (the writing is kinda worn out) that won't work in a GoPro Hero3 Black Protune, but works in DJI cams and apparently Typhoon H ... I just keep it around as spare .. it DOES work ...

I have the original 16GB card in my case, and another in my wallet ... I just didn't have the paranoia working to change cards between each flight like I usually do!

Yeah, I understand that many people are using a U1 card and it's working fine. But one of my Yuneec 4K cameras wouldn't recognize a U1 while the other did. When I checked with Yuneec the tech said the U1 is borderline for speed and all their cameras are shipped with a U3 for that reason. Bottom line.....if you have a problem with the card go for the U3. Also, I presume you are stopping the record before turning off the H. Occasionally I forget to do that and I have to put the card back in the camera to get the file to close.

Yes, indeedy ... I learned the hard way after a fantastic flight with the Inspire 1, if you don't stop record and close the file, you are sunk if you shut off the machine. I have forgotten a few times, but usually catch it with the Yuneec .. and power it back up, record, stop, and it closes ..and I haven't lost anything yet.

I'll likely use the two c3 cards that ship with the Typhoon H tomorrow, but just n case, try the Samsung.

Yeah, I understand that many people are using a U1 card and it's working fine. But one of my Yuneec 4K cameras wouldn't recognize a U1 while the other did. When I checked with Yuneec the tech said the U1 is borderline for speed and all their cameras are shipped with a U3 for that reason. Bottom line.....if you have a problem with the card go for the U3. Also, I presume you are stopping the record before turning off the H. Occasionally I forget to do that and I have to put the card back in the camera to get the file to close.

Me too. And yeah ... gloves are terrible. The pain we endure for our art ... but then it helps keep the batteries happy. If we can't feel our fingers, it means the batteries are suffering, and we need to shorten the flight ...

This is what I used with the Q500. It helped a lot especially during snow.
The ST16 won't fit.
20160203_100328.jpg

I might have to go there, but first, explaining to the Wifey that it's not what she thinks ...

Seriously, my only concern with such items is the added complexity ... but it's really not a big deal, huh?

Since I'm out in a polaris ranger with tracks during the winter I found I can sit inside and fly with no problem. A heck of a lot warmer.

Better than my aircooled VW in Alaska ... (Wifey is working on that issue, too ... and I'm not complaining) especially as the VW cannot get far off the road in winter, which limits things.

Ended up back up there today ... colder and windier (frozen thumbs!) but flew really well (not me, the bird). I re-flew my shots from yesterday .. some better, some not as good. Used all three batteries.

Used the ForeSee card that came with the Typhoon, but also swapped it out after a few flights with the older Samsung. All is well.

I've a couple questions ;; I'll ask them separately so the answers can help others.

Frames grabbed as snips.

Frozen Lakes.JPG Frozen terrace and lake scenic.JPG Ice Lake.JPG Hovering over Lake.JPG

Reactions: Steve Carr
There are a LOT of fake SD cards being sold online. I've even been sold a fake by a major high street retailer, who I should say apologised and replaced it

It is quite difficult to spot these fakes until you actually bought them. When you receive the card but at some point your device will still be happily saving data onto the card, there will be no error, no alarm sounding. When you want to retrieve that data, then you find that it failed.

Buyer beware.

Reactions: Steve Carr

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VertCold22