Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

First flight (and crash) in the books - Now questions

Reaction score
Ok so my first flight and crash are in the books. I read all the manual and docs that came with it and I either overlooked something or this info is not in there. So I took off in Smart mode with the setting all the way on turtle. I was more than 26 ft away in fact about 40 ft away but for the life of me I could not get the H to come towards me. Only away from me. Add that with the fact that it didn't seem to hover very steadily (kind of moved either around in a circle or just would drift to one side slowly) and I slowly got closer and closer to a tree and could not get it to come back to me. I switch it to the come home mode and it began to climb sort of rapidly and move closer to the tree so I freaked out and switched back into smart mode. Finally the drone just drifted into the limbs and I lost 3 rotors but luckily it hung up in a branch so I was able to get it down with my ladder and it suffered no real damage other than some scratches and the 3 rotors breaking off. So here are a couple of questions.

1. Will the H just not move towards you in Smart Mode? I could get it to move towards me in Angle mode no problem.
2. My video when I play it back on my PC is very choppy and smears etc. When I stream it to my 4k TV over my Roku it plays smooth. Any ideas here?
3. I assume (please correct me if I am wrong here) that the reason the H is drifting when hovering is I need to calibrate the compass?
4. Already ordered additional propellers. Amazon says additional batteries are 1-2 months on shipping. Anybody got a better source for parts?

Thanks in advance.

Starting with the video.....most pc's won't play 4K, well if at all. For windows use this player and it will probably play ok. Downloads · MPC-HC
Pick you first flight area with a wide open space and hopefully no trees. Set the H on level ground. After the ST16 is booted, turn on the H and don't touch it until it is fully booted.
Make certain the ST16 and the H have over 8 sats, preferably the H should have at least 12 before you start the motors. Turn off the Obstacle Avoidance for launch and landing. Don't try to takeoff slowly. Take it up fast to 15-20'. Do a slow 360 degree yaw and watch the H. It should turn like it's sitting on a post. If it drifts around, something is wrong (no wind). Land immediately and do the calibrations.
Learn as soon as possible to fly, at least a little, in Angle mode. If you lose GPS the H will default to Angle so you need to know how the fly it. If Smart mode is unstable, switch to Angle mode and land. Again, that is a sign something is wrong. If the camera is facing away from you the controls are exactly the same in Smart and Angle.

Ok so my first flight and crash are in the books. I read all the manual and docs that came with it and I either overlooked something or this info is not in there. So I took off in Smart mode with the setting all the way on turtle. I was more than 26 ft away in fact about 40 ft away but for the life of me I could not get the H to come towards me. Only away from me. Add that with the fact that it didn't seem to hover very steadily (kind of moved either around in a circle or just would drift to one side slowly) and I slowly got closer and closer to a tree and could not get it to come back to me. I switch it to the come home mode and it began to climb sort of rapidly and move closer to the tree so I freaked out and switched back into smart mode. Finally the drone just drifted into the limbs and I lost 3 rotors but luckily it hung up in a branch so I was able to get it down with my ladder and it suffered no real damage other than some scratches and the 3 rotors breaking off. So here are a couple of questions.

1. Will the H just not move towards you in Smart Mode? I could get it to move towards me in Angle mode no problem.
2. My video when I play it back on my PC is very choppy and smears etc. When I stream it to my 4k TV over my Roku it plays smooth. Any ideas here?
3. I assume (please correct me if I am wrong here) that the reason the H is drifting when hovering is I need to calibrate the compass?
4. Already ordered additional propellers. Amazon says additional batteries are 1-2 months on shipping. Anybody got a better source for parts?

Thanks in advance.
Sorry for your near loss ! But if you didn't, you should always do a first time compass calibration it's all over this forum and even in Liz's video

Reactions: QuadBart
Sorry for your near loss ! But if you didn't, you should always do a first time compass calibration it's all over this forum and even in Liz's video
I did a compass calibration and that's it,no firmware updates nothing. My H came out of the box smooth as silk. I just got lucky I guess,but it doesn't surprise me cause I have other Yuneec products and they have been great. Put a Dbs antenna on over the weekend and it makes a difference, Yuneec needs to come up with a stronger antenna.

I do a compass calibration and IMU/accelerometer whenever I get a new drone. Its easy and added assurance that everything is calibrated... I also check for firmware updates. Which I did on the "H"...

I do a compass calibration and IMU/accelerometer whenever I get a new drone. Its easy and added assurance that everything is calibrated... I also check for firmware updates. Which I did on the "H"...
Is IMU in setting on the ST16, I had it and now it's gone?

Starting with the video.....most pc's won't play 4K, well if at all. For windows use this player and it will probably play ok. Downloads · MPC-HC.

This is absolutely untrue! The limiting factor is you need a 4K display of course but 4K playback can be done smoothly on any average PC. You just have to have a video card that is at least an nVidia 650 on up. Unsure on the ATI series.

The nVidia 650 is an older card, over 4 years old now so that should not be an issue with most PC's not older than that. Unsure what card he has or if he is using built in Intel video. If so then that may an issue of course.

I have a PC that I use for home theater and it is an old Dell Vostro, i7 870 CPU with an nVidia 680 card and it plays smooth as can be. I also use VLC to play them as well as XBMC (now called KODI.)

This is absolutely untrue! The limiting factor is you need a 4K display of course but 4K playback can be done smoothly on any average PC. You just have to have a video card that is at least an nVidia 650 on up. Unsure on the ATI series.

The nVidia 650 is an older card, over 4 years old now so that should not be an issue with most PC's not older than that. Unsure what card he has or if he is using built in Intel video. If so then that may an issue of course.

I have a PC that I use for home theater and it is an old Dell Vostro, i7 870 CPU with an nVidia 680 card and it plays smooth as can be. I also use VLC to play them as well as XBMC (now called KODI.)

I have a GTX 960 so I am guessing then my monitor is the issue? I use the VLC player to watch the file. Weird thing is I can upload the video to YouTube and watch it in 4K there with no hiccups at all.

I have a GTX 960 so I am guessing then my monitor is the issue? I use the VLC player to watch the file. Weird thing is I can upload the video to YouTube and watch it in 4K there with no hiccups at all.

No your monitor won't affect your playback. I just meant you need a monitor or TV that can handle 4K resolutions.

You should not be having any issues at all with a 960. Run ccleaner on your PC and clean the junk files out as well as the registry. When you clean the registry it will ask you if you want to back it up before you make changes. Do it just in case but I have never had issue with it.

As fo VLC try this. Go under tools--->preferences--->input and codecs--> On the left select hardware accelerated decoding set to disabled--under x264 preset an tuning selection, select ultrafast first. If that does not work try "placebo."

Let me know and we can try a few other things.

Ok tried all that and no luck. Glad I backed up CC cleaner because my PC kept crashing after I did the cleaning of the registry so I had to restore it.

Man your system must have some issues then if it did that. That is why I said to back it up though. i:)i

Sorry that did not help. Did the VLC setting do anything for you?
If not maybe Google. It must be a VLC issue. Have you tried playing it back with media player at all?

Man your system must have some issues then if it did that. That is why I said to back it up though. i:)i

Sorry that did not help. Did the VLC setting do anything for you?
If not maybe Google. It must be a VLC issue. Have you tried playing it back with media player at all?

The VLC settings were already what you suggested with the exception of placebo but I tried that too and no luck. It does the same thing in Windows player too :( I even have a nice SSD drive so it shouldn't be a performance problem. :(

I don't want to clutter the forums with PC help, I am sure others don't care about that. i:)i

Do some Googling etc.. If you need any more help PM me.

Reactions: Renshi

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval