Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

First Test Flight With the New Typhoon H Plus

Reaction score
This weekend I took the maiden flight with the Typhoon H Plus that Yuneec sent to me, to replace the one at KAV Service. The below video shows the results of the flight, along with some preliminary observations I had about the Plus.

Every time I fly I have people come up to me and ask questions, or just watch. I always have fun with this; it's a good opportunity to be an ambassador for our hobby. For this flight a young family was watching. The little boy was fascinated - so I got him to fly the drone a little, got his family on the camera briefly, and you'll see them in this episode. The dad wants to get a drone and fly it with his son now - I thought that was cool.

The scene at 4:30, yes that was so SO evil! I would hate you right now,
...but that is so like me it would make me a hypocrite!:confused:

LOL Evil - but you gotta admit, it was pretty funny.
No I don't! Admitting it was funny would mean I'm over it and forgave you. I am not over it! And I will never forgive you! Even though my cheeks are still sore from laughing so hard!:mad:

No I don't! Admitting it was funny would mean I'm over it and forgave you. I am not over it! And I will never forgive you! Even though my cheeks are still sore from laughing so hard!:mad:

ROFLMAO!!! I don't put much humor in my videos, I'm pretty straight forward. But every once in awhile I gotta sneak something in just for fun.

...But every once in awhile I gotta sneak something in just for fun.
NO! No you don't!. That's my job. Your job is to continue making great videos, my job is to continually pick them apart. And let's not forget that!
...never loose sight of who you are dealing with here, don't take me light!?

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
Just ignore that Jeff, @DCH hasn’t had anything good to pick on for quite awhile now. Steve Carr hasn’t given him any ammo for almost a year and his sense of humor is in withdrawal.
Hey DCH, good to see you haven’t lost your touch. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: sibelius and DCH
This weekend I took the maiden flight with the Typhoon H Plus that Yuneec sent to me, to replace the one at KAV Service. The below video shows the results of the flight, along with some preliminary observations I had about the Plus.

Every time I fly I have people come up to me and ask questions, or just watch. I always have fun with this; it's a good opportunity to be an ambassador for our hobby. For this flight a young family was watching. The little boy was fascinated - so I got him to fly the drone a little, got his family on the camera briefly, and you'll see them in this episode. The dad wants to get a drone and fly it with his son now - I thought that was cool.

Jeff
I know I am not alone in welcoming you back. You are one of the main reasons I bought my first Typhoon H and last year moved on to the Plus. I know we have both had problems with KAV and Yuneec but I am hopeful Yuneec can get their customers service back in order and we can all move forward with improved warranty work and an ample supply of spare parts. Very few drones can compare with the H Plus and wouldn’t it be great if Yuneec would resume its position as an industry leader.
Keep those great videos you have made over the years coming.
Bill Dunnuck

Reactions: sibelius
hi, Jeff
Thanks for the video and it's more than expected. The shut down of KAV service is an occasional event and hope it will be resolved soon.

Nice video and informative. That blue sky is so nice to see, we've had wettest Autumn since records began here, blue sky is a very rare sight.

NO! No you don't!. That's my job. Your job is to continue making great videos, my job is to continually pick them apart. And let's not forget that!
...never loose sight of who you are dealing with here, don't take me light!?
LOL well I will try to remember my place with every video I make then.

But no promises on keeping the humor out!

Reactions: DCH
Jeff
I know I am not alone in welcoming you back. You are one of the main reasons I bought my first Typhoon H and last year moved on to the Plus. I know we have both had problems with KAV and Yuneec but I am hopeful Yuneec can get their customers service back in order and we can all move forward with improved warranty work and an ample supply of spare parts. Very few drones can compare with the H Plus and wouldn’t it be great if Yuneec would resume its position as an industry leader.
Keep those great videos you have made over the years coming.
Bill Dunnuck

I couldn't agree more. The best outcome would be that Yuneec turns things around, with great drones and customer service to match. And thanks for being such a loyal viewer and channel supporter for the past few years. I really mean it when I start and end each episode with "thank you for watching . . ." because I do appreciate people spending their time on my videos.

Nice video and informative. That blue sky is so nice to see, we've had wettest Autumn since records began here, blue sky is a very rare sight.

It was a nice blue sky that day. We've got another sunny weekend this weekend, and I am charging my batteries to get out and fly again!

Hope it clears up for you soon in the UK - constant rain is depressing.

Good to see you finally got your Plus back and the OA issue is resolved Jeff, were you doing most of that flying in Sport mode? I am wondering if Yuneec reduced the braking in the later firmware updates because my Plus brakes harder that what your's seems to do when I let of the sticks in Sport High Rate, it still drifts for a while but not as much as yours. The first time I did mine I thought it was going to rip the gimbal off trying to stop, your seems to just brake less when released. And one other thing I noticed is, has your C23 got a slight tilt to it?

Hi Jeff!

Nice video, and thanks for adding another perspective of the capabilities of the H Plus.

I do find myself at odds with your descriptive of “drift”. I believe I have heard it described differently by others, or maybe it’s just my own personal perspective.

I tend to think of drift as movement from a fixed location when the expectation is little or no movement. Maintaining a stationary hover, for example.

What I see in your “drift” demonstration might be more specifically described as “cinematic braking”.

As most likely already know, either by experience or from these pages, both the H480 and the H520 exhibit a more abrupt slamming of the brakes, so to speak. The H Plus has a longer stopping zone, trying to stay a bit more on the smooth side. It is this latter behavior that I recall being touted as being more conducive to cinematography than its predecessor.

I am not trying to be critical of your review let alone the H Plus, but rather highlighting an intended feature. Nonetheless, it is good to point out this feature so potential pilots might be aware prior to testing it without the proper safety zone!

Thanks again!

Jeff

P.S. now that I see @Ty Pilot was typing at the same time I was, sneaking in just before me... I believe it was Ty who I recall had stated the stopping of the H Plus was not as abrupt as the H480. Perhaps the original was only slightly different; later updates increasing the smoothness. It may have also been described as a difference between normal and “sport” mode.

I’m betting we’ll hear from other pilots confirming or refuting my observations. Inviting them, actually.

Last edited:
When I first tested the Plus in Sport Mode, I found the braking was more abrupt when flying at higher speeds in sport mode than I had experienced with a 480 which I feel was due to the higher speed of the Plus. Looking at Jeff's video it appears to me as though his does not break as hard and thus travels further to stop.

The one aspect about the braking where I felt it was too harsh was on the dampeners of the Gimbal, they are stretched even when sitting static and I suspect under hard breaking and acceleration they are stressed too much. I have often wondered when someone has posted pictures on this forum of their dampeners leaking if it is not due in fact to these forces.

When in angle mode the Plus's acceleration and braking forces are pretty well distributed for my tastes but when in sport mode I switch to a thumb and forefinger pinch and never let go of the sticks but rather draw it back to center so props are not in the shot.

Good to see you finally got your Plus back and the OA issue is resolved Jeff, were you doing most of that flying in Sport mode? I am wondering if Yuneec reduced the braking in the later firmware updates because my Plus brakes harder that what your's seems to do when I let of the sticks in Sport High Rate, it still drifts for a while but not as much as yours. The first time I did mine I thought it was going to rip the gimbal off trying to stop, your seems to just brake less when released. And one other thing I noticed is, has your C23 got a slight tilt to it?
Interesting observations . . . I don't have the perspective you do, perhaps using an earlier version of the firmware than I am, so I'll defer to your opinion on that. It certainly is possible that they changed the abruptness of the braking.

The reason I emphasized it so much in the video is because of the difference in flight characteristics between the H and the H Plus. Being an experienced H flyer, I was really taken aback by how the plus flew. In fact, the first time I flew one - the original plus that was sent in for service - I thought I was having a runaway because it kept going for so long after I let off the stick. Scared the **** out of me LOL. So the emphasis I placed on it was really to draw attention to the difference as opposed to a criticism of the drone itself. I could see an H flyer taking one of these up and running it right into a tree or a building - in early testing i nearly did that myself.

Steve said a test firmware version is adding the option to adjust braking. I'd like that option. I don't chase objects, so my only real need for hi speed mode is to get from point a to point b. I would then slow it down to get better shots. But I can see why someone who does more action video would like the more cinematic braking at high speed for sure.

And yes - I think I've got a bit of a tilt with the camera. Gotta deal with that.

Hi Jeff!

Nice video, and thanks for adding another perspective of the capabilities of the H Plus.

I do find myself at odds with your descriptive of “drift”. I believe I have heard it described differently by others, or maybe it’s just my own personal perspective.

I tend to think of drift as movement from a fixed location when the expectation is little or no movement. Maintaining a stationary hover, for example.

What I see in your “drift” demonstration might be more specifically described as “cinematic braking”.

As most likely already know, either by experience or from these pages, both the H480 and the H520 exhibit a more abrupt slamming of the brakes, so to speak. The H Plus has a longer stopping zone, trying to stay a bit more on the smooth side. It is this latter behavior that I recall being touted as being more conducive to cinematography than its predecessor.

I am not trying to be critical of your review let alone the H Plus, but rather highlighting an intended feature. Nonetheless, it is good to point out this feature so potential pilots might be aware prior to testing it without the proper safety zone!

Thanks again!

Jeff

P.S. now that I see @Ty Pilot was typing at the same time I was, sneaking in just before me... I believe it was Ty who I recall had stated the stopping of the H Plus was not as abrupt as the H480. Perhaps the original was only slightly different; later updates increasing the smoothness. It may have also been described as a difference between normal and “sport” mode.

I’m betting we’ll hear from other pilots confirming or refuting my observations. Inviting them, actually.

I've had a few people tell me the preferred term for what I described as "drift" is "overshoot" . . . if that's the preferred term, I'll use it in future videos.

I can see the value of the longer stopping distance for people who follow fast subjects. It's just something that people like me, who are converting from the H to the H Plus, really need to be aware of. My first flight with the original Plus (the one that went to KAV) almost ended in disaster. I was bringing it back from long distance at high speed, and it blew past me as I was trying to stop. Had I not been at a sufficient altitude, it would have gone right into my car or a nearby pole. So my goal in this video - as it will be in future videos - is to warn H owners about the difference. But I'm not seeing it as a fault, for sure - I can see its value.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis