Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

First Timer - Avoiding Lessons learned the hard way?

Reaction score
Hello All,

My Typhoon H is arriving today, purchased to take pictures and video's of my construction companies ongoing projects and I'm super stoked.

I've been perusing these forums a lot just learning, one item I came across this morning was that these batteries need to be run only halfway down for the first 10 flights or so to condition the battery - I would have flown this thing for a full flight today!

That being said, if anyone has some pitfalls they know of to share please do! Hopefully a sticky thread will come to fruition soon I saw someone else post that they were working on building one.

Thanks in advance,

Sam

Hmmm, I don't agree with the 10 flight statement above.
Lithium polymer batteries need to be charged fully the first time of use to ensure max capacity and that is that.
Don't ever over discharge a lipo as that will cause it to overheat and shorten the life of the pack and it will swell up. None of this is good for the H. the H has built in circuitry that will notify you when the pack is low and it will ultimately land automatically if you don't but don't push it to that limit.

Hmmm, I don't agree with the 10 flight statement above.
Lithium polymer batteries need to be charged fully the first time of use to ensure max capacity and that is that.
Don't ever over discharge a lipo as that will cause it to overheat and shorten the life of the pack and it will swell up. None of this is good for the H. the H has built in circuitry that will notify you when the pack is low and it will ultimately land automatically if you don't but don't push it to that limit.

Agreed, I don't follow the whole 10 flights theory. I just charged them when I got them to max and that was that. One thing I do try to do is I try not to have a full battery for more than a few days. Not really sure if it effects the battery long term if left in that state. But maybe someone can chime in and let me know :)

Hate to keep putting the disclaimer on everything I type but "I am new" but have been reading a lot.

The 10 flights rule is still charging the batteries fully. What the experts seem to recommend is to have a fully charged battery and fly until it is down to about 50 to 55% full then stop. You can charge it again of course.

Since the H is supposed to get about 20 minutes of flight, 50% of that is about 10 minutes hence the 10/10 rule for the H. Fly for 10 minutes for the first 10 times.

So what they are recommending is to do this for the first 10 times of use to condition it to then hold a charge longer when you do deplete it.

Of course when not in use they should also be in the 50 to 55% charged state.

I fully intend to do this. It sounds like good advice, especially on expensive batteries. I want to gain the max life and performance out of mine.

Reactions: DroneClone
Hate to keep putting the disclaimer on everything I type but "I am new" but have been reading a lot.

The 10 flights rule is still charging the batteries fully. What the experts seem to recommend is to have a fully charged battery and fly until it is down to about 50 to 55% full then stop. You can charge it again of course.

Since the H is supposed to get about 20 minutes of flight, 50% of that is about 10 minutes hence the 10/10 rule for the H. Fly for 10 minutes for the first 10 times.

So what they are recommending is to do this for the first 10 times of use to condition it to then hold a charge longer when you do deplete it.

Of course when not in use they should also be in the 50 to 55% charged state.

I fully intend to do this. It sounds like good advice, especially on expensive batteries. I want to gain the max life and performance out of mine.
Conditioning Lipo's is a well known fact across the RC world, and is a small price to pay temporarily to ensure the maximum fly time over the life of your battery. Then I have a friend who ignores that rule and his P3P will fly just as long as mine ! Lucky? I personally do not want to gamble it !;)

50% rule is for storage only. I have been flying for a long long time and have crates full of lipo batteries. Never had a problem and certainly have max runtime on them from the first charge.

Reactions: Cilent1 and Dadjvs
From what " I've read" the other half of the equation is after those 10 cycles you run the lipo down to 10% ? and then fully recharge after it cools down of course. This is supposed to re-calibrate the battery somehow. It was a recommended procedure in the dji manual if I'm not mistaken. I followed this practice to be cautious.

From what " I've read" the other half of the equation is after those 10 cycles you run the lipo down to 10% ? and then fully recharge after it cools down of course. This is supposed to re-calibrate the battery somehow. It was a recommended procedure in the dji manual if I'm not mistaken. I followed this practice to be cautious.
That was every 20 cycles for the DJI's.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hendrtiz