Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Flip and Burn

Yeah, had this happen to me this week, it's not a safe mode issue. After it crashed & I picked the pieces, I did a few tests....each time I start the blades it automatically lifts on the port side (my right, but it facing me), but the starboard side skid never left the ground. I had the bird elevated on the case. In my tests I held the port skid to keep it from flipping, but it was trying. I never touched the controls only started the blades. Also, I went through setup to check that it was not that. Started checking to see if anyone else has had issues. Seems there may be a few, but no real answers other than contacting Yuneec, which I haven't done. Last note this is only the second flight on this bird.

I had my Q500 flip over backwards trying to lift off. When it tipped there were blade parts everywhere. But I couldn't find all the pieces.
I've had the same issue, my Q500 would flip over backwards immediately. No lift off, just flip over destroying blades.
I think this started after I was given the updated firmware to fly within 5 miles of my local airport. It flew great on the first battery, then the second battery lift off flipped it over backwards.
To check things out trying to set the trim to negate the flip over, I tethered the landing gear to a board with about 6" of play.
I started the drone, all indicators show they are working fine. I tried this in Smart Mode, and aangle Mode. I was more than 40' away each time I tried this and got the same results each time.
I did GPS calibration several times, I turned the drone in different cardinal directions and got the same result each time. Whenever I would see that the drone started to flip I would shut the rotors off.

After about the 6th time of trying this I had just tried to lift off I got the Error 5 rotor mode, land immediately. Since I never got off the ground I immediately cut the rotors. As I was walking up to the drone I see smoke coming from one of the rotors. I immediately flipped the switch to off, too late, that motor started to sizzle, then pops a couple times and melts the motor wires.

Fast forward to my call to support. I explain everything I've done, they asked how long I've had the drone, over a year I say, well it's out of warranty. Ok, so I can fix the motor, but what about it flipping over I ask? Well I have to send the drone in to the company in California for them to figure out why the drone was flipping over. My cost? $45 shipping one way, their price, $80/hr labor. I told them I would fix the motor.
They claimed that because I had it tethered I must have tried to lift the board the drone was tethered to, I told them it was BS.

So, I still need to send it in for them to see why it's been flipping over.

I will update as things progress.

Once you have the motor changed out, hook it up to the GUI and do a ESC assignment and check for proper motor rotation.
Proper motor rotation was probably your problem all along. I have had a Q500 do this just out of the blue. Once hooked up to the GUI and set everything it flew just fine.

Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't even think about that. I will definitely do this. Is this something I can try before I fix/replace motor?

No
If your motor is shot you will get a ESC error and it will not spin the motor over. Best to do it when you get all back together.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval