Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Follow me awesomeness, GPS Issues

The second part of the video looks great, not only the exposure, but the wave and the background look nice. The H followed you dead on! (one could think the camera was somehow fixed to the boat hehe.)

Regarding your issue, I began having this GPS ready/lost when booting up in one of my aircrafts recently after updating. It hasn't been a problem yet just a bit weird.

I just wait until the sat count rises to 17/18 (most of the time I fly at 19/20). This ready/lost thing only happens when count is around <15 sats. If sat count stalls and remains on the low side after 2 or 3 minutes I power cycle the aircraft. This seems to solve the issue.

Greetings!

@MM1992

OK, I understand, but that doesn't seem like normal behavior. My previous goto drones were the P3 and then a Autel XSP and I never had issues like that. You can even look at this video:

We traveled across the country and filmed with the XSP in 7 or 8 different states and like 9 lakes, all more than 50 miles apart. We would pull the XSP out of the case, turn it on and go, no more than a minute to get the SATS all working, etc. The drone would be cold and its previous flight was hundreds of miles away.

@Steve Carr Yes, I have definitely tried the wizard and team mode, I made a quick test video here:

@PatR Thanks. I took some settings form Captain Drone video, and I definitely had to use lower settings than he recommended. I am guessing due to the reflective water and more intense sunlight, but once I spend more time I am sure I will be able to guess the best exposure. The CGO3+ definitely does not make this easy. With the WB, I mostly can just spot my subject in auto, then lock it, done. But with exposure, it looks good and then I go to lock it, but instead, it goes to 1/30 when you hit manual, instead of staying where it was set during auto, that is a major pain in the a$$. The good thing is that Yuneec SHOULD be able to fix these things with software.

@kai_bcn Thank you. He isn't doing many tricks because we were working out the kinks with the drone, so I didn't want him to fall so I could spend as much time adjusting and dealing with the GPS issue. As we get things more ironed out, I am looking forward to some more intense footage with various pro riders.

I also just got a new 6700 mah battery, hopefully it helps give me a bit more time. Probably going to need about 8 of those suckers for a good video shoot. ;-)

Sometimes it loses the lock also. I've gotten in the habit of resetting the camera before starting critical settings. Have you played with the histogram? It can help. And yeah it's weird how you lock and then in manual see it drop to 30 frames and look horrible. I tend to under expose a little in sunsets so I can get better cloud color here. I've found an ND8 with an Iso of 100 over 120 frames looks good in daylight. I hate raising Iso and bringing in noticeable artifacts.

@MM1992

OK, I understand, but that doesn't seem like normal behavior. My previous goto drones were the P3 and then a Autel XSP and I never had issues like that. You can even look at this video:

We traveled across the country and filmed with the XSP in 7 or 8 different states and like 9 lakes, all more than 50 miles apart. We would pull the XSP out of the case, turn it on and go, no more than a minute to get the SATS all working, etc. The drone would be cold and its previous flight was hundreds of miles away.

That's all I do with my H, except wait a bit longer than 1 minute on a cold start. It's an early version; very few issues, never losing GPS lock in flight.

I'd be calling Yuneec and raise some cane. You should not be experiencing these issues. IMO there's a defective component or connection problem. Interference? Possibly, but from what?

Sometimes it loses the lock also. I've gotten in the habit of resetting the camera before starting critical settings. Have you played with the histogram? It can help. And yeah it's weird how you lock and then in manual see it drop to 30 frames and look horrible. I tend to under expose a little in sunsets so I can get better cloud color here. I've found an ND8 with an Iso of 100 over 120 frames looks good in daylight. I hate raising Iso and bringing in noticeable artifacts.

I will have to give that ND8 a try, thanks.

@glider I plan on calling, I have opened 2 cases on the website, and after a week, no response, that seems troubling.

Interference? Possibly, but from what?

I use my H a fair bit on the water and launch and land from my 5.2m centre console. I have learnt that if I power the H and try to arm when it is at the stern of the boat, I get all sorts of error messages. By simply moving to the bow of the boat, all is good. I put it down to either electronics/magnets from the outboard motor, or interference from the battery and wiring which is all in the stern.

As rag boy mentioned (from memory) the boat he is using has a tower - this would have to play a part in interference, whether it is from the materials or whether it is blocking possible satellite lock would be the two concerns.
I have also learnt that even a simple thing like leaning over the H (when it is on the ground and not armed), you will get loss of GPS errors which tells me that the GPS is pretty sensitive and needs clear line of sight to the sky.

I will have to give that ND8 a try, thanks.

@glider I plan on calling, I have opened 2 cases on the website, and after a week, no response, that seems troubling.

You're opening cases on the website? You prolly aren't aware they've had website issues from day one. If you registered your H through the website, it has not been registered. Have your purchase receipt handy and make the call!

I belive you meant 1/30 and 1/120 shutter speed and not FPS (frames per second), right?

@ArnhemAnt yes, it has a tower. My experience with my other drones, is that on the lake I have great GPS reception and excellent reception, very little interference. I will def update what happens after I call yuneec and after I do more testing.

@PatR I also sent an email direct, and got a automated response that it opened an automatic case, and then no response. I will call, but this should not

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hodgepodge