Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

From never updated to current updates

Reaction score
Hey folks. I preordered my Typhoon H in March of 2016 and after reading all the horror stories I was quite apprehensive at least on updating my H to any downloads Yuneec was putting out. Well after living in the shadows for too long I figured what the heck and did it. I was on hold twice with Yuneec for more than 90 minutes trying to get the prior updates before updating to the current one, and also learned at that time that you are supposed to update the H before the ST16 when you are doing the one that it refers to on the Yuneec download website that you need to have before going to the current one.
Anyway, long story short, everything works great. Started out losing my GPS within the first two minutes and that happened about 3 times but for only about 2 seconds.
Tried the 360 degree auto stitch this morning and it worked perfectly. Real nice feature.
Next week I plan on actually putting on the blades and testing it in the air instead of my living room. Anyone want some 360 photos of my living room floor?
Fingers crossed for next week.....

After a firmware update you should do all of the calibrations. When you take it outside for a first flight, let it sit after it boots up for about 13 minutes with the motors off. That will give it time to get an accurate GPS fix.

I am surprised they would have given you all the older updates. The firmware should contain a complete update making it unnecessary to install old updates first.

Reactions: Rayray
I am surprised they would have given you all the older updates. The firmware should contain a complete update making it unnecessary to install old updates first.

This is surprising. Each update or pair of updates should be completely sufficient no matter what firmware it/they replace. I've always done the ST16 first unless it has not changed.

After a firmware update you should do all of the calibrations. When you take it outside for a first flight, let it sit after it boots up for about 13 minutes with the motors off. That will give it time to get an accurate GPS fix.

I've kept a folder of all the releases since I purchased a year ago. I updated a friends H who purchased around the same time. I could not jump the ST up from b23 to current b30 without doing the November release first for him. My thought was it was when all the new camera features were added and the dpad got functionality that it needed that first. It maybe more about the background android OS then our firmware?

When did they start including OTA updates? It may just be that the signature for more recent updates has changed, so a really old version cannot verify that the latest version is legitimate.

When did they start including OTA updates? It may just be that the signature for more recent updates has changed, so a really old version cannot verify that the latest version is legitimate.

That makes sense. The OTA was the November release as I recall

I've kept a folder of all the releases since I purchased a year ago. I updated a friends H who purchased around the same time. I could not jump the ST up from b23 to current b30 without doing the November release first for him. My thought was it was when all the new camera features were added and the dpad got functionality that it needed that first. It maybe more about the background android OS then our firmware?
Interesting. My spare H was only used for a test flight last June. About a month ago I got it out and updated using the Feb & March release and didn't see any problems. Wonder now if I missed something.

Has anyone heard any stories about the earlier GPS module being susceptible to early failure, as compared to the later models? I had sent mine to Yuneec last year for a toilet bowl effect and they said they could not find anything wrong at the time, and I thought I read a post about the GPS not being reliable for the earlier H's. Anyone???

Has anyone heard any stories about the earlier GPS module being susceptible to early failure, as compared to the later models? I had sent mine to Yuneec last year for a toilet bowl effect and they said they could not find anything wrong at the time, and I thought I read a post about the GPS not being reliable for the earlier H's. Anyone???
Both of mine are original first line production models and I have had no issues. I have come to believe the TB effect is not a single cause issue and may be a combination of factors including how the pilot handles the aircraft. Nearly all cases have been reported below 20' in altitude. Things that more likely at low altitude include the GPS signal being blocked, magnetic interference and eddy currents caused by wind blowing around the end of buildings. In most cases the effect would disappear simply by gaining altitude. I have no specific knowledge of the exact cause and can only speculate on what I have seen reported. I do believe that a good compass calibration is critical as a first step but I also don't believe in multiple calibrations. Once done, leave it.

What has been your experience since you got it back?

I hadn't flown it and was just doing all the updates from the original one it came with. I calibrated the compass today and had a stupid moment after 5 attempts and allot of cussing with the green and purple lights flashing before I realized I had it in Smart Mode and obstacle avoidance turned on. After I turned them to the correct positions it started flashing purple like it is supposed to and I had to leave the park. I think it would be wise to do another calibration with the switches in the right modes just to make sure.
I have seen the GPS's for sale relatively inexpensive and wondered if it would be a safe measure to change it out.
Kind of nervous to fly it again this year.

I hadn't flown it and was just doing all the updates from the original one it came with. I calibrated the compass today and had a stupid moment after 5 attempts and allot of cussing with the green and purple lights flashing before I realized I had it in Smart Mode and obstacle avoidance turned on. After I turned them to the correct positions it started flashing purple like it is supposed to and I had to leave the park. I think it would be wise to do another calibration with the switches in the right modes just to make sure.
I have seen the GPS's for sale relatively inexpensive and wondered if it would be a safe measure to change it out.
Kind of nervous to fly it again this year.
I understand your apprehension. I took my reserve bird out for a flight after I updated it and I was the same way. I think the key is to be prepared. First, after any update do the calibrations. Then reboot. Then take it outside on a level surface away from any trees or overhead wires. Turn it on with the motors off and don't touch it for 13 minutes. That lets the temp stabilize and gives the GPS time to get an exact fix. Check the Lat Long readings and make sure they read your present position or compare them to the other bird. Then open the menu to turn on and off the GPS. Learn to do this quickly because that could save your butt if something goes wrong. Practice turning it on and off.

If you see something erratic be prepared to gain altitude rather than try to land. Even when the GPS has a glitch the left stick max seems to work to gain altitude. If the menu is blocked by a warning, use the return key on the bottom right below the screen to clear the warning. Then turn the GPS off. That procedure is the only one I am aware of which will allow you to regain control. You may need to practice flying without GPS a few times to get a feel for it. Also, test the green arrow with GPS off and see if it indicates the proper direction to bring the bird back home.

Have you seen the board for the GPS? The photos for Vertigo Drones below looks like there is a battery mounted to it, which begs the questions about longevity. Tried to zoom in but I could not see enough information on the round object. Do you know anything about the possibility of a battery needing changed?

upload_2017-5-21_21-44-27.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-5-21_21-40-39.png
    upload_2017-5-21_21-40-39.png
    948.2 KB · Views: 8
Yes, there is a battery which I believe is used to maintain the last GPS co-ords and sat data. I think they are probably good for 2-3 years. If the battery dies you will see it take much longer to find and lock on to the sats.

I think people clutch at straws for explanations for unexpected behaviour - but there are a whole bunch of potential causes (as Steve says), from component failure to local environment to pilot error.

Yuneec are pretty good at fixing problems as they occur, and certainly all of their drones get newer revisions of hardware as they identify the more common causes of problems - which might be as simple as better connectors or a different wiring layout. However, there has never been a 'recall' of the Typhoon, or a single component that could be blamed for lots of crashes. In general, given the thousands of machines they've sold, we still only see a small handful of failures and there doesn't seem to be a single common element. I have one of the earliest machines and it has been very reliable and consistent from day one.

So I don't think swapping the GPS board will give you increased reliability - and there's always a chance that you weaken some other part or connector whilst you're doing the job.

As Steve says, the common understanding is that the battery helps the GPS keep the sat database stored when there's no power, so you get fast start up times. It's a standard cell, and in applications like this it's likely to last years - probably longer than the rest of the mechanical parts last.

Reactions: Steve Carr

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hendrtiz