Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

FYI USB drives work on the ST16

Reaction score
Just information for anyone that cares, i:)i

I was playing with the ST16 and wanted to make sure I could use my USB cable adapter* on it. It is confirmed that I can read/write to standard USB drives from the file manager. I was also able to put a USB microsd reader/adapter on it and could read a microsd card that way.

So while it is an extra cable to use, it allows you to easily transfer your telemetry data to a normal USB stick and just put that directly in your PC/MAC to import the files.

Why would you want to do this you ask? Because, to me at least, it is much easier to transfer files from a normal USB drive since laptops and computes all have USB ports. Few have built in microsd readers and you end up using a USB microsd adapter anyway or at least a microsd to SD one.

If you don't want to mess with that microsd slot on the ST16, having to remove the card you are using for recording telementry, it is also easier to read the camera's microsd card and watch the video of what your camera recorded this way directly on the ST16.
You just need a USB microsd reader such as: Amazon.com: Sandisk MobileMate SD Plus Memory Card Reader: Electronics

Just another option for guys wanting to transfer data on/off the ST16.

NOTE: when you are done writing data to anything connected this way, make sure to go to settings-->storage--go to the bottom section that will say USB or the like, and select unmount. Then confirm. Note: If you have a microsd card in the ST16 there will be a section under storage for that as well, make sure not to unmount that by mistake. Scroll down to the USB section.

This will close any open files and allow you to remove the device safely. If you don't do this and you just remove the USB drive, you may get an error reading it when you put it on the computer. You :should" be able to repair it if you do that but why risk it? It may get corrupted beyond repair, not good practice. It is easier to just un-mount it correctly, only 4 clicks. i:)i

Hope this helps someone. i:)i

*Cable that connects to the microusb port and gives you a full size female USB connector to plug standard USB devices into. Sometimes called an OTG (On The Go) cable.They are extremely cheap.
Look around and read reviews on them before you buy but this is a 2 pack:
Amazon.com: Tendak (Pack of 2) Micro USB 2.0 On-The-Go (OTG) Cord Cable Adapter with USB Power for Cell Phone Tablets: Computers & Accessories

This is the one I used:
Amazon.com: Micro USB Host OTG Cable with Micro USB Power for Samsung S7 S7 Edge, S6 S6+ S6 Edge, S5, S4 & Nexus 10 9 7 4 Player + ALL OTHERS: Cell Phones & Accessories

Last edited:
As an FYI, you can use the included USB/micro cable and connect the ST16 directly to the USB port on your PC. And thru your favorite file manager. On win-10, the PC had to setup an Android device. I set mine to automatically open in File manager.
Hope this helps some one. BTW, it has to be the cable that came with the H, I've tried several others and they don't work.

As an FYI, you can use the included USB/micro cable and connect the ST16 directly to the USB port on your PC. And thru your favorite file manager. On win-10, the PC had to setup an Android device. I set mine to automatically open in File manager.
Hope this helps some one. BTW, it has to be the cable that came with the H, I've tried several others and they don't work.
I connected my ST16 to my MacBook Pro and I do not see anything appearing in my Finder window. Any suggestions?

I use a micro sd usb reader which enables me to slot my camera sd card into a usb which I can then plug into the USB port of my Sony 4K tv and watch my 4K footage and photos in glorious 4K.
So a very handy and inexpensive peripheral to have,especially if you have a 4K TV.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval