Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Got Jello problems? Here is a fix that worked for me.

Reaction score
Website
www.jcommstudios.com
I hadn't taken the H480 out for a while due to flying anther drone I picked up. I have done the Peau 3.97 lens upgrade and previously all was well but once I viewed the shots i had some serious jello problems. The H had been sitting for about 5 months and had been transported to a couple of shoots but not used.
I removed the camera, popped off the dust cover, rotated the dampers numerous times, put the dust cover back on, reinstalled the camera and made sure it was latched securely. I did a couple of gimbal calibrations and took it back out for a flight. The video was smooth as silk and no jello other than on a quick stop which is to be expected. I also fooled around with some ND's to see how the Peau lens reacted with the CGO3+ and the ND 8 was a bit on the cool side even with some color grading. The ND 4 seemed to be the sweet spot in bright sunlight. Here is a link to the results...H480 / Peau 3.97 Gimbal tuneup/test shoot. ND8 - ND4 - Clear UV

So do you believe the jellow was cured by the ND filter or the damper adjustment and cam calibrations?

So do you believe the jellow was cured by the ND filter or the damper adjustment and cam calibrations?
I think it was the damper adjustment, reinstalling the gimbal/cam and cam calibrations. The ND4 just had the best look in mid day full sun with the Peau lens. I flew it with a clear UV and no jello. I'll have to upload a clip so you can see it. It was severe!

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve Carr
I think it was the damper adjustment, reinstalling the gimbal/cam and cam calibrations. The ND4 just had the best look in mid day full sun with the Peau lens. I flew it with a clear UV and no jello. I'll have upload a clip so you can see it. It was severe!
@Steve Carr Check this out...Wobble H 4K source.

Reactions: Steve Carr
I hadn't taken the H480 out for a while due to flying anther drone I picked up. I have done the Peau 3.97 lens upgrade and previously all was well but once I viewed the shots i had some serious jello problems. The H had been sitting for about 5 months and had been transported to a couple of shoots but not used.
I removed the camera, popped off the dust cover, rotated the dampers numerous times, put the dust cover back on, reinstalled the camera and made sure it was latched securely. I did a couple of gimbal calibrations and took it back out for a flight. The video was smooth as silk and no jello other than on a quick stop which is to be expected. I also fooled around with some ND's to see how the Peau lens reacted with the CGO3+ and the ND 8 was a bit on the cool side even with some color grading. The ND 4 seemed to be the sweet spot in bright sunlight. Here is a link to the results...H480 / Peau 3.97 Gimbal tuneup/test shoot. ND8 - ND4 - Clear UV
So you reckon the rubber dampers become stiff after a period of time?
Sounds like a good tip.

Reactions: jcommstudios
So you reckon the rubber dampers become stiff after a period of time?
Sounds like a good tip.
A lot of times jello is caused by stiff dampers. For an unbalanced prop to cause jello it has to be well out of balance. Original Yuneec props are usually pretty well balanced such that, more often than not, no further balancing need be done.

A lot of times jello is caused by stiff dampers. For an unbalanced prop to cause jello it has to be well out of balance. Original Yuneec props are usually pretty well balanced such that, more often than not, no further balancing need be done.
It's a logical reason, most of the time with mine has been copters of other brands and poorly balanced props, but it's good to learn titbits from others. I suppose some could argue their replacement every so many flight hours like some advocate prop replacement.

It's a logical reason, most of the time with mine has been copters of other brands and poorly balanced props, but it's good to learn titbits from others. I suppose some could argue their replacement every so many flight hours like some advocate prop replacement.
There is a good argument for replacing the dampers after a certain number of flights but some people who do that have introduced jello because the replacement dampers are either stiffer than those they are replacing or just too long/short. Regarding props: I'm still using my original props that came with the aircraft when I got it in June 2016. I inspect them before each flight though. I'll replace them just as soon as I see any change in them...but not just one...if one begins to look (or feel) different I'll replace all of them at the same time.

There is a good argument for replacing the dampers after a certain number of flights but some people who do that have introduced jello because the replacement dampers are either stiffer than those they are replacing or just too long/short. Regarding props: I'm still using my original props that came with the aircraft when I got it in June 2016. I inspect them before each flight though. I'll replace them just as soon as I see any change in them...but not just one...if one begins to look (or feel) different I'll replace all of them at the same time.
Only a wipe down to remove insects and their liquids, otherwise fine so far for me.

If it's got that bad then nothing to lose I suppose.

I also fooled around with some ND's to see how the Peau lens reacted with the CGO3+ and the ND 8 was a bit on the cool side even with some color grading. The ND 4 seemed to be the sweet spot in bright sunlight. Here is a link to the results...H480 / Peau 3.97 Gimbal tuneup/test shoot. ND8 - ND4 - Clear UV
Do you lock white balance on a white/gray standard first? I've played with various ND filters on the CGO3+ also and have not noticed any color difference when WB is locked on the standard. With Auto WB, all bets are off.

Agreed... first step before any exposure adjustment is to lock the WB against a standard white card. That is in fact, the only way to ensure that subsequent adjustments in exposure do not change the color. It is by the very nature of shooting aerial video, that the lighting will constantly change... which is why your color balance and exposure should remain static. Manual adjustment makes that feasible.

Do you lock white balance on a white/gray standard first? I've played with various ND filters on the CGO3+ also and have not noticed any color difference when WB is locked on the standard. With Auto WB, all bets are off.
@Rubik I always lock white balance on the ground with the sun at the back of the drone to a white card with black rim. The rim allows me to set the EV so the black is black. ISO is at 100 and EV runs any where from 1/320 to 1/640 depending on the conditions with the ND4. I shoot in natural mode and it works well with some slight grading to get some decent video. Shot RAW yesterday and with this particular drone it is a pain in the butt to grade. Huge variances in brightness and saturation and you only have 60mbps files to work with as opposed to 100mbps on my other bird.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmsmindspace