Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

GPS antenna

Reaction score
I recently upgraded my WiFi antenna to an itelite. Was wondering if there is an upgrade to the GPS antenna.

I'm not sure why you would want to change the GPS antenna. What are you hoping to gain?

Just curious. I've lost GPS signal inside 1000ft. A few times now. Gets scary when u can't hit the home button.

To the best of my knowledge, all gps antennas are relatively the same and none of them are an upgrade. It could be defective or possibly the mu metal covering the antenna inside the q500 has come loose. It shields the antenna from interference from the electronics.

To the best of my knowledge, all gps antennas are relatively the same and none of them are an upgrade. It could be defective or possibly the mu metal covering the antenna inside the q500 has come loose. It shields the antenna from interference from the electronics.

I was in a wide open area. Even at home within 1000 ft I will lose gps. Gets a little scary when I can't hit the home button.

Let me be a little more specific.

If you are flying in an urban environment, you will not get good satellite reception. They are almost LOS. It does not take much to loose/block the signal. Likewise for deep in a mountain area, canyon, forest, and on and on and on. Even heavy cloud cover can kill it.

Wide open area is subjective. If your line of sight is standard horizon of 16 miles in all directions, then you are in a wide open area. If you are in a 1 square block park, in the middle of downtown NYC, then you are not in a wide open area.

At sea level, heavy cloud cover, it is possible that you would not get the required minimum satellites.

Let me be a little more specific.

If you are flying in an urban environment, you will not get good satellite reception. They are almost LOS. It does not take much to loose/block the signal. Likewise for deep in a mountain area, canyon, forest, and on and on and on. Even heavy cloud cover can kill it.

Wide open area is subjective. If your line of sight is standard horizon of 16 miles in all directions, then you are in a wide open area. If you are in a 1 square block park, in the middle of downtown NYC, then you are not in a wide open area.

At sea level, heavy cloud cover, it is possible that you would not get the required minimum satellites.
So basically unless I'm in the middle of the country I'm just gonna have to deal with loss of signal. Kinda frustrating.

Those were extremes. We have no idea what kind of area you are flying in, and where you are at in general (a country is a start, major city nearby would be better). Some countries just don't have a lot of satellites buzzing about.

When you say "Lost GPS" you should be still flying now by the seat of your pants - zero on board computer assistance other than maybe altitude hold (angle flying lite).

Do you mean "RC Connection Lost"? That would be different, and we can help explain that better based on your model.

Those were extremes. We have no idea what kind of area you are flying in, and where you are at in general (a country is a start, major city nearby would be better). Some countries just don't have a lot of satellites buzzing about.

When you say "Lost GPS" you should be still flying now by the seat of your pants - zero on board computer assistance other than maybe altitude hold (angle flying lite).

Do you mean "RC Connection Lost"? That would be different, and we can help explain that better based on your model.
I've lost both but just in the last couple days I've been losing the rc connection also. Not for long. I have the Q500 4k.

"We" as in members of the forum. So, no, I don't work for them, nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

RC connection lost, is a combination of range, environmental conditions (RF interference - urban area, power lines, proximity to any broadcast towers...) and which direction you are pointing the controller.

An Example - I can face North, and fly my girl North 1300 feet at 300' altitude (pretty much out of LOS for me) and loose video, but still have control. This is with my ST10 pointing (handle) at her. also flying in a suburb area sports park.

Now If I try to fly south of me, while still facing north, I can only go about 600' before I loose both video and RC. I then have to turn around and point the controller back at her and wait for a bit until the RC connection returns, then a while later I'll get video back. Meanwhile the girl is either slowly returning to me, or just sitting there waiting for instruction, not flying away.

Likewise if I am facing North, and at 1200' do a 180 and fly back, I usually loose video. The antenna in the camera is in the back of it, so the camera is blocking it's own transmission.

If I decide that it's too cold outside and sit in my truck while trying to fly, well, that really will kill the range. These are not very strong transmitters in the quads or the controllers.

"We" as in members of the forum. So, no, I don't work for them, nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

RC connection lost, is a combination of range, environmental conditions (RF interference - urban area, power lines, proximity to any broadcast towers...) and which direction you are pointing the controller.

An Example - I can face North, and fly my girl North 1300 feet at 300' altitude (pretty much out of LOS for me) and loose video, but still have control. This is with my ST10 pointing (handle) at her. also flying in a suburb area sports park.

Now If I try to fly south of me, while still facing north, I can only go about 600' before I loose both video and RC. I then have to turn around and point the controller back at her and wait for a bit until the RC connection returns, then a while later I'll get video back. Meanwhile the girl is either slowly returning to me, or just sitting there waiting for instruction, not flying away.

Likewise if I am facing North, and at 1200' do a 180 and fly back, I usually loose video. The antenna in the camera is in the back of it, so the camera is blocking it's own transmission.

If I decide that it's too cold outside and sit in my truck while trying to fly, well, that really will kill the range. These are not very strong transmitters in the quads or the controllers.
Thanks again for the info and quick responce. Good to know about the antenna being in the back.

So I am upset regarding the range as I was hoping for certainly more. I never understood what was going on until sticks explained it. But so now what. What is the salution. Does the other drones have the same problem? Can you easily extend the range?

I've not used it, but I'm curious as well. Heard a 'DBS' might be the best solution.
Since I have the EU version of the Typhoon H, it seems the Wifi is broadcasted at a lesser power setting. I loose video way to easy and to soon who flying a bit further than 100m...

Anyone find out what happens if you install the STD firmware onto the EU version (would that than be just the CGO3+ firmware, and leave the ST16 and Typhoon H on EU?)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval