Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

gps trackers

I read that it works on the 2G network. What will happen when the 2G is discontiued?
Also, you say it works out to about $5/ mo but the write up says $2/day. Does the $2 charge know when the unit is active as opposed to when it is not active or do you have to call or contact the company when to start the service and stop the service?
I should work off a separate(It's own 2) Not dependent on the drones signals whatsoever. As long as it stay attached to your drone, it would send a self contained 2G signal of location !

Is there any that don't use phone signals?
If you are out in the woop woops, and no cell range, then what can you use?

I use Marco Polo, I had a friend take the Tx out in the woods about a mile away, then I set off to find it, went right to it!! best 100.00 spent, real cheap insurance,

I use Marco Polo, I had a friend take the Tx out in the woods about a mile away, then I set off to find it, went right to it!! best 100.00 spent, real cheap insurance,
$100 ?
I see it on Amazon for $239
Where did you get it for $100?

Turnigy
So it worked through trees etc?
Didn't have to be line of sight?
I wonder what the range is, in Bush/woods?

Sorry it was 119.00 or around there, brand new, the Tx was messed up, called the number in the box had a new one a day later, I has a 2 mile range, and it was laying on the ground when I found it,my friend would not give me any help in finding it, but was amazed when we went straight to it, I think I got it from Aces Deals, they want 219.00 now, I did have some coupons and stuff from on line places, he honored all them, plus I got a bunch of other stuff for my Q500, I would still pay the 200.00 after I saw how good it works. MARCO POLO DRONE LOCATER I think that is where I got it, I got bunches of stuff from different people when I bought my Q500, I am looking for the invoices of the stuff I got and where I got it at, back in Jan.

Thanks.
Anyone strapped the Marco Polo onto their H yet?
Please post picks.

Me too, and I prefer that route. I know how to extract the flight telemetry, but not how to overlay to Google Maps, hoping someone on here can show us!

It would be very easy to make an Android program that would just parse the telemetry files, obtain the last location from the last file created, then send that to Google maps on the ST16. I used to program a bit but haven't in awhile. Once you had the location on Google Maps up you could easily just follow it using GPS to its location.

If someone made that it would be easy to just link it from a web page so you would not even need the Play store to install it.

We just need an Android developer on here. i:)i

Edit: Oh I forgot to mention that you would have to download the area you will be in before you go out since you would not be online unless there is extremely good WiFi or tether it. i:)i

To Download an area to use Google Maps offline.
  1. On your phone or tablet, open the Google Maps app .
  2. Make sure you're connected to the Internet and signed in to Google Maps.
  3. Search for a place, like San Francisco .
  4. At the bottom, tap the bar that has the name of the place you searched. ...
  5. Select Download .

Last edited:
You can of course tether it to your phone.....
The only problem I would see, is that when you loose telemetry, it will remember the last location..... But it would still be flying in a direction, until battery failure. So you would want the last position, and the second last to get a heading...
Just a thought.

You can of course tether it to your phone.....
The only problem I would see, is that when you loose telemetry, it will remember the last location..... But it would still be flying in a direction, until battery failure. So you would want the last position, and the second last to get a heading...
Just a thought.

Yes you can tether if your phone supports Wi-Fi tethering which most do not unless you pay for it or have your phone rooted(Android) orJailbroke (iOS). Of course there is also bluetooth tethering but with the ST16 locked down I am unsure if that is feasible. There is also the possible ability to tether your phone to the ST16 via USB. Again unsure how much we can do without rooting the ST16.

I am fairly knowledgeable using Android. I am a PC/Android guy. i:)i

Yes you are right it may not be 100% accurate if it loses connection and goes crazy. But it would work for the majority of cases to get you close to it and it would be a free solution.

I am not wild abut the idea of adding more weight to my drone with additional GPS trackers slapped on it.

I know it can handle it, Lou Ming just posted videos of it lifting two bottles of water, but I want to keep it as light as possible for motor health. If someday I add the RealSense etc.. that will already add some weight.

Last edited:
Hmmm first time I actually tried downloading the Google maps on the ST16 and am not having any luck. Anyone else able to do that?

Hmmm first time I actually tried downloading the Google maps on the ST16 and am not having any luck. Anyone else able to do that?
Did you see my post on hooking ST16 to PC and copying my flight logs to Google Map and there they are in "Street" or "Satellite" view!

Did you see my post on hooking ST16 to PC and copying my flight logs to Google Map and there they are in "Street" or "Satellite" view!

Must have missed that or was not paying attention maybe? I have been trying to keep up on all the posts here. Still does not answer why it is not letting me download the area, weird. The ST16 must be locked down even more than I thought.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drakemerch33