Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

H Plus to H520 Conversion

slw74

Part 107 certificate
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Hi folks,
I just did a conversion of one of my H plus to an H520. The hardware of the H plus is compatible with the H520 with the exception of the mainboard. There are hardware specific board identities (numerical data in hardware) that prevents the H520 firmware from being loaded on the H plus or vice versa. There are some subtle differences in connecting the hardware, but the change-out is pretty straightforward (see photos). Note that the H520 mainboard has the identity printed on it. Once I had made the change, the H520 board would not initialize, but that was a function of the autopilot firmware. Once I loaded an earlier version of the H520 autopilot firmware via SD card in the attached C23 camera, the board booted and worked normally. I subsequently did an OTA update of the controller and the drone, but had a problem with the compass calibration. I was receiving a failed command 246 when I performed it as I have done on my other H520. It turns out that the OTA update had an issue (with help from Vertigo Drones). I repeated the firmware installation using an SD card via the camera (to an earlier autopilot version) and the compass calibration worked fine. On my initial flight, the drone functioned normally in all respects. Due to weather, I have not been able to do a Datapilot photogrammetry survey. With the option to make this change and use the C23 camera interchangeably with the E90, you should be able to make the "upgrade" for a very reasonable cost. Note the you will need to load your ST-16S controller with the Datapilot for the H520. Let me know if you have any questions.
All the best,
Stephen

Attachments

• Note H Plus connectors.JPG
    Note H Plus connectors.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 69
  • Different 520 WIFI connector.JPG
    Different 520 WIFI connector.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 69
  • Completed 520 conversion.JPG
    Completed 520 conversion.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 68
It turns out that the OTA update had an issue
How long ago did you perform the OTA?
The 520 firmware released in early Jan was replaced in late Jan to correct some of the problems.
Did the H520 mailboard include the sd card?
It appears the H520 board is labeled and the H Plus board has no label.

The C23 when using in this conversion you loose the zoom factor along with lack of the camera control in your missions ? Co I'm believing its best to get the E90 ???

The C23 when using in this conversion you loose the zoom factor along with lack of the camera control in your missions ? Co I'm believing its best to get the E90 ???
I believe you can use either the C23 or E90. If you use the C23 you must connect it with the wifi in the Android menu.

I believe you can use either the C23 or E90. If you use the C23 you must connect it with the wifi in the Android menu.
It works, and shows up as the E90, but you loose the zoom along with the functions ( the camera set points in the mission) ? Haven't spent to much time with it yet, and I contacted john about an E90 ?

The 520 firmware released in early Jan was replaced in late Jan to correct some of the problems.
I did the OTA upgrade on February 9th, so I was expecting the latest "corrected" version. I haven't tried to update again since I was just getting things operational. I was able to do a one battery survey flight yesterday and I may try to repeat the OTA next week. The folks at Vertigo Drone put the SD card in when they shipped it to me. We'll so how things go, but it seems to be working fine in all respects.
Stephen

I did the OTA upgrade on February 9th, so I was expecting the latest "corrected" version. I haven't tried to update again since I was just getting things operational. I was able to do a one battery survey flight yesterday and I may try to repeat the OTA next week. The folks at Vertigo Drone put the SD card in when they shipped it to me. We'll so how things go, but it seems to be working fine in all respects.
Stephen
Are you referring to the SD card in the mainboard ?

I subsequently did an OTA update of the controller and the drone, but had a problem with the compass calibration. I was receiving a failed command 246 when I performed it as I have done on my other H520. It turns out that the OTA update had an issue (with help from Vertigo Drones). I repeated the firmware installation using an SD card via the camera (to an earlier autopilot version) and the compass calibration worked fine.
I'm wondering if perhaps the OTA won't work properly with the C23 attached since it's looking for an E90. If that's the case the updates would only work with a manual install.

I'm wondering if perhaps the OTA won't work properly with the C23 attached since it's looking for an E90. If that's the case the updates would only work with a manual install.
I'm confused (my natural state of mind) seeing as when using the 23 it shows up as the 90 on the controller ? What does the card on the mainboard contain/hold, and why are updates installed thru the camera ? Sorry as I dont fully understand these things, or where to learn these things other than here ?

It might be related to the camera, but the firmware.bin and the gimbal files are interchangeable for these two cameras as far as I can tell. Additionally, when I did the OTA, the converted H520 was sporting the true E90 camera. I just need to try a few different variations to see things work out. As to the E90 vs the C23, I can't see any difference in how they work. The C23 displays as an E90, but it doesn't behave any differently. The SD card on the mainboard is for loading Datapilot plans and flight information and perhaps other items. Maybe someone on these forums will know more specifics. I have tried to read the one on my original H520, but it seemed to be encrypted or I was reading it with the wrong software. More to come...
Stephen

Reactions: Steve Carr

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval