Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

H520 based 'Drone-in-a-Box'

Interesting, but what is being used for power and how much flight time do you get on a charge? What are the cycle times for recharging as opposed to doing a battery swap? It would be nice to see this landing back on its box as I have not seen a precise RTH on any Yuneec drone.

Reactions: johnnyb57
We use a custom battery with battery management system. Flight time is similar to a standard H520. Charge time also standard, but we are working on fast charging as well.

We use both RTK GPS as well as computer vision for redundancy in precision landing.

Reactions: Trav H
I wonder why no one has come up with a solar top cover on drones for battery charging while in flight ? I came up with this idea after reading this post awhile back ? I wish I was either smart enough, or had the connections to make this happen, would be a game changer ?

I wonder why no one has come up with a solar top cover on drones for battery charging while in flight ? I came up with this idea after reading this post awhile back ? I wish I was either smart enough, or had the connections to make this happen, would be a game changer ?
The reason it is not done on drones is solar cell count, on a glider you can fit lots of solar cells on the wings, and the wings provide lift.
On a glider you can fit more solar cell amp capacity than the motor load draws leaving left over to charge the battery.
On the HexCopter you simply don't have the re-estate for more than a fraction of the motor power draw in solar cells, the supplied power isn't enough to offset the weight cost.

Reactions: DoomMeister
The reason it is not done on drones is solar cell count, on a glider you can fit lots of solar cells on the wings, and the wings provide lift.
On a glider you can fit more solar cell amp capacity than the motor load draws leaving left over to charge the battery.
On the HexCopter you simply don't have the re-estate for more than a fraction of the motor power draw in solar cells, the supplied power isn't enough to offset the weight cost.
So if the top cover could be one whole panel, rather than adding panels on top would that be possible ?

So if the top cover could be one whole panel, rather than adding panels on top would that be possible ?
Its still all about area of solar cells vs motor amperage load. Hex copters lift comes 100% from the motors meaning they have a constant high amperage load to stay in the air.
Then factor the area of solar cells that would be practical, lets be generous and say qty 8 6x6 solar cells. (This would likely be the max the copter could deal with).
The Typhoon has 6 motors each pull approx 10 amps each totaling 60 amps @ 14.4 volts = 864 watts. The 8x 5 watt solar cells wouldn't even be noticed at that level of power load.

Reactions: DoomMeister
Its still all about area of solar cells vs motor amperage load. Hex copters lift comes 100% from the motors meaning they have a constant high amperage load to stay in the air.
Then factor the area of solar cells that would be practical, lets be generous and say qty 8 6x6 solar cells. (This would likely be the max the copter could deal with).
The Typhoon has 6 motors each pull approx 10 amps each totaling 60 amps @ 14.4 volts = 864 watts. The 8x 5 watt solar cells wouldn't even be noticed at that level of power load.
Thanx, you just burst my bubble, looks like I'll have to keep working.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval