Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Hands On With the Yuneec Tornado H920

clackey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
"Its size can be intimidating, but from a handling perspective it handles much like a smaller quad. It can fly at close to 25 miles per hour with GPS enabled and it handles quite well. As a heavier device, it does have a bit more momentum, so there is a little bit of drift to contend with when stopping. The landing gear can be raised or lowered, which allows you to use a gimbal with 360-degree rotation, and two remote controls (one for flight and the other for camera control) are supported."

full article - Hands On With the Yuneec Tornado H920

I had the opportunity to fly the Tornado with CGO4 last week at our event in Sonoma, CA. Machine is definitely smooth and precise.
Do you have any updates on UK availability, full specifications (including GPS type/accuracy) etc.? I'm especially interested in the CGO4 configuration.
I currently have a Phantom 2 Vision Plus; now that I have CAA PFAW, I'm looking to upgrade and Tornado or Inspire 1 Pro seems to be the shortlisted choices.
Thanks.

Do you have any updates on UK availability, full specifications (including GPS type/accuracy) etc.? I'm especially interested in the CGO4 configuration.
I currently have a Phantom 2 Vision Plus; now that I have CAA PFAW, I'm looking to upgrade and Tornado or Inspire 1 Pro seems to be the shortlisted choices.
Thanks.

If I was you I would think of it in terms of the camera first and foremost - do you go for what Yuneec say is their equivalent of the GH4 but in a custom mount for the 920, or the X5 of the inspire. From most online comparisons the GH4 will almost always come out on top, its a magnificent camera by any standards. The X5 is still having issues, so then look at the aircrafts ability to put that camera in the right position with smooth movements from the controls and a silky smooth gimbal. This is when it gets difficult because both platforms have lovely aircraft and Yuneec always have nice gimbals, but there is a lot more footage from Inspires than H920s obviously, and I would imagine both would come out pretty much the same.
Then its considering different payload possibilities, monitors etc etc and see which ticks the most boxes for your requirements. I have the Inspire and its great to fly, but I am seriously considering the 920 also as a back up for our GH4 that we have on an S1000+
Dont envy your decision lol

Hi Pauly,

Thanks very much for the reply; very helpful.
I'm composing a set of pros/cons for each aircraft; DJI are certainly going for it but Yuneec have aviation background. Given the price of the units, I want something with interchangeable lenses or cameras (which both offer) to cover different requirements, resilience in the aircraft and good safety features. I started out buying a Phantom 2 Vision Plus (just to see what all the fuss was about!) but 6 months later and it was obsolete and I've since heard of electronics failures (mine has just had the video wifi module replaced, just within warranty).

Hopefully there will be more information from Yuneec soon; if they want to promote the range, they have to start publicising it a bit more. I've sent a couple of emails but had no replies yet.

Remember if you buy the 920 CGO4 variant, I dont think there is any info relating to alternative lenses, think because it has 3x zoom they will not offer this. With the GH4 you obviously have alternatives but they have not replied to my email asking about which stock lenses they suggest for use on the GB603 gimbal, and whether it self calibrates for changes in weight and cog with different lenses, so remember if you go for the 920 its either the CGO4 proprietary (pretend GH4) camera, or the GB603 for the GH4. There is no interchangeability. The Inspire X5 would not need anything else I guess other than maybe the new zenmuse XT Thermal when release but that will be way out of a lot of peoples reach pricewise unless they do a lot of commercial thermal imaging work.

Yeah, makes sense. The CGO4 appears to be quite a lot of camera with the 3x zoom etc.
I think the gimbals will be interchangeable? So that give options for different cameras I guess. I've seen some good chat on the Inspire forum with regard to X5 lens use and some of the video is amazing; clear, stable, smooth. The 920 offers the motor failure control which will be good in congested areas. Not sure if there's any avoidance module like that on the Typhoon though.

Yeah, makes sense. The CGO4 appears to be quite a lot of camera with the 3x zoom etc.
I think the gimbals will be interchangeable? So that give options for different cameras I guess. I've seen some good chat on the Inspire forum with regard to X5 lens use and some of the video is amazing; clear, stable, smooth. The 920 offers the motor failure control which will be good in congested areas. Not sure if there's any avoidance module like that on the Typhoon though.

No avoidance sensors no. You do know you can only change cameras on the GB603 gimbal as the CGO4 is proprietary setup. Yes the X5 is a nice camera but if the CGO4 is anything like a GH4 that would be my preferred choice, although that setup would be more expensive than the Inspire Pro. I will be ordering the GB603 setup because we have a GH4 but I can see the merits of the Inspire. Hard choice if I was in your shoes lol.

So many things to consider! I might just have to wait until the UK dealers get them in and then go take a look. I'm not flying much due to weather at the moment anyway, so no rush!

Bloody weather has been utter poo for about 10-12 weeks now !! Enjoy whatever option you go for, they are both quality pieces of kit

Reactions: AndyD
Very nice! Their website says it's 6,000 euros and ready for shipment in 1-3 days. I didn't know they were available yet...

some european outlets have them and if that price was for the CGO4 version then bite their hands off as thats about £4500 saving about £1K and no tax being in the EU

Reactions: AndyD
Hey guys new to this forum but on Phantom. Good discussion here and I am in the same boat as Andy.
With the new P4 also looking for alternatives in that size Typhoon H I'm thinking.
The H920 really seems like a top kit and has impressed me over S1000 at the price point.
I can't find any info on ND filter for CGO4 as I'm still learning the curve of post.
Does anyone know or has a link? Thanks in advance.
Also the Aerial Media Pros
A very good insight from Aerial Media Pros channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/AerialMediaPros

Hey guys new to this forum but on Phantom. Good discussion here and I am in the same boat as Andy.
With the new P4 also looking for alternatives in that size Typhoon H I'm thinking.
The H920 really seems like a top kit and has impressed me over S1000 at the price point.
I can't find any info on ND filter for CGO4 as I'm still learning the curve of post.
Does anyone know or has a link? Thanks in advance.
Also the Aerial Media Pros
A very good insight from Aerial Media Pros channel

I think if you buy the H920 CGO4 version you are paying the same (ish) as getting the S1000+ and a GH4, especially as the GH4 has been reduced due to the arrival soon of the GH5 so there are REAL bargains to be had on a GH4 which is an amazing camera. The functionality of the CGO4 is all through the app which is its achilles heel at the moment as there are limited camera settings and there are 1 or 2 problems with footage from the CGO4 at present, but as a package it looks clean, no spaghetti wiring etc. I have the S1000+ with my GH4 and it is super stable, and with the arrival of the A3 FC soon hopefully it will add some additional dimensions through Lightbridge 2. Both are great packages though and Yuneec are learning fast.

Remember if you buy the 920 CGO4 variant, I dont think there is any info relating to alternative lenses, think because it has 3x zoom they will not offer this. With the GH4 you obviously have alternatives but they have not replied to my email asking about which stock lenses they suggest for use on the GB603 gimbal, and whether it self calibrates for changes in weight and cog with different lenses, so remember if you go for the 920 its either the CGO4 proprietary (pretend GH4) camera, or the GB603 for the GH4. There is no interchangeability. The Inspire X5 would not need anything else I guess other than maybe the new zenmuse XT Thermal when release but that will be way out of a lot of peoples reach pricewise unless they do a lot of commercial thermal imaging work.
From what I have seen online, the CG04 does allow interchangeable lens.It uses the 14 - 42 zoom lens now and I have that on my x5. I think the GH4 is limited to what you can do with it from the controller as well. I would go for the CG04

From what I have seen online, the CG04 does allow interchangeable lens.It uses the 14 - 42 zoom lens now and I have that on my x5. I think the GH4 is limited to what you can do with it from the controller as well. I would go for the CG04

thanks for that but to be honest I abandoned my purchase of the 920 due to problems people seemed to be having and decided to keep the money for thermal imaging platform instead. Still have my GH4 on my 1000+ to which I might fit the A3 Pro controller

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval