Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Has anyone tried any open source flight controller (ArduPilot / Pixhawk / PX4, etc.) on Yuneec drones?

mw6

Reaction score
Hi,

(I'm not sure if Yuneec (USA) as a company is still functioning, since their customer service is not responding).

I'm just wondering if anyone has tried any open source flight controller (ArduPilot / Pixhawk / PX4, etc.) on Yuneec drones? and what's you experience?

How does the open source FC software compare with the Yuneec's own FC in terms of flight stability (e.g. in case of strong wind)? Sometimes I'm puzzled whether commercial company (small or even dying) can produce better FC than open source ones.

Comments?

Hi,

(I'm not sure if Yuneec (USA) as a company is still functioning, since their customer service is not responding).

I'm just wondering if anyone has tried any open source flight controller (ArduPilot / Pixhawk / PX4, etc.) on Yuneec drones? and what's you experience?

How does the open source FC software compare with the Yuneec's own FC in terms of flight stability (e.g. in case of strong wind)? Sometimes I'm puzzled whether commercial company (small or even dying) can produce better FC than open source ones.

Comments?
Have you tried using the forum search tool for answers? I recall something being posted before on this topic.

Ha, I just search and found this:

2020 Yuneec H520 ...

Its flight controller is based on the familiar open source project PX4, which is extremely stable and reliable.

Does all the Yuneec drones' FC is based on PX4?

Yes, from Typhoon H Plus on the FC firmware is based on PX4 Autopilot. It's customized and partially restricted.

For Typhoon H a user from Finland has made a PX4 Autopilot FW that is completely open. You can change parameters, flightmodes whatever you want. Also the FW is open source.

Typhoon H with PX4 Autopilot (also known as "Thunderbird") looks more stable and smoother than stock Typhoon H. This subjective of course. But hey, flying a roll or looping with a 2kg hexa - that is an experience that I don't want to miss.

The whole discussion is here: Typhoon H 480 PX4 v1.10 (Stability issues ;-)
Documentation here: Thunderbird/Documentation at Typhoon_H_480 · h-elsner/Thunderbird

Using a standard PX4 flight controller is another problem. Not tested yet. It would need to exchange all nearly all, especially the ESCs. PX4 autopilot has support for receiver SR24 but I do not know if someone has tested this for another drone HW.

br HE

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maahdevbook