Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Holiday Season is Coming up and I need your help!

Reaction score
I've considered buying the Yuneec Q500 for my son. I found it in dronelifestye's buying guide. Those of you who have flown the Q500, would you recommend purchasing instead of the Phantom 4?

Here's my list so far:
  • Phantom 4
  • Yuneec Q500
  • GoPro Karma

find some one that fly's what you like or you are interested in , then ask every question you can think of , for me it's the Q500 4K . a new Q500 4K now go's for about $750 to $800 on line that's cheap . do your research there are so many good quads and h's out there .

I've considered buying the Yuneec Q500 for my son. I found it in dronelifestye's buying guide. Those of you who have flown the Q500, would you recommend purchasing instead of the Phantom 4?

Here's my list so far:
  • Phantom 4
  • Yuneec Q500
  • GoPro Karma
If you want the Phantom 4, I would say wait until the end of October. Once the MAVIC hits the market, I think you will see prices for the Phantom 4 start going down.

My choice is probably gonna be the GoPro KARMA. It is more bang for the buck, about the same size as the Phantoms, doesn't have all the Bells and Whistles of the Phantom, but with a lower price $799.00, vs. $1299.00 for the MAVIC Pro, and the KARMA comes with a case as well. $500.00 extra is a bit much for a small drone!

As for the Q500, had one, actually the Q500plus and loved it. A Good choice for your son, since it is much bigger than the Phantoms, batteries are cheaper too.

Here's my list so far:
  • Phantom 4
  • Yuneec Q500
  • GoPro Karma
It all depends on your sons interests. If he just wants to fly something and is not interested in flight programs and doing special things like follow this object, than the 500 is great. If you think he will really get into this as a hobby than the Phantom 4 is the ticket. Its about $500 more but it can perform many more specialty functions and can be easily taken on a plane as carry on. Hope this helps.
Mike

Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

The Phantom 4 or the new Mavic would be my suggestions. The Mavic is only $999 and it looks fantastic! Does everything the P4 does & more... and the portability is amazing.

The Karma is aimed at the "selfie" crowd. It has limited features, short range, flight time is nothing to write home about. The handle that comes with it is great, I do like that. The TX is interesting but not sure I like it. And Has GoPro gotten rid of that horrible curved horizon? If not you need to correct your footage in post. The new GoPros have a lot of new features, so that looked nice too. I may pick up a new Session myself.

Whatever you decide on, learn the aircraft, be safe and enjoy!

Reactions: DroneClone
find some one that fly's what you like or you are interested in , then ask every question you can think of , for me it's the Q500 4K . a new Q500 4K now go's for about $750 to $800 on line that's cheap . do your research there are so many good quads and h's out there .
Yeah true, but you can get the Phantom 3 for $600. That's even an option... What do you think?

It all depends on your sons interests. If he just wants to fly something and is not interested in flight programs and doing special things like follow this object, than the 500 is great. If you think he will really get into this as a hobby than the Phantom 4 is the ticket. Its about $500 more but it can perform many more specialty functions and can be easily taken on a plane as carry on. Hope this helps.
Mike
Let's be honest though, I'm going to want to fly it too... lol Yeah I'm leaning towards the 4. But what about the 3? I'ts only $600.

The Phantom 4 or the new Mavic would be my suggestions. The Mavic is only $999 and it looks fantastic! Does everything the P4 does & more... and the portability is amazing.

The Karma is aimed at the "selfie" crowd. It has limited features, short range, flight time is nothing to write home about. The handle that comes with it is great, I do like that. The TX is interesting but not sure I like it. And Has GoPro gotten rid of that horrible curved horizon? If not you need to correct your footage in post. The new GoPros have a lot of new features, so that looked nice too. I may pick up a new Session myself.

Hello!

There are just so many options... It's hard to choose lol. Have you actually flown the Karma? Sounds like you have, but I'm jut curious.

that sounds great the only thing is you have to use your cell phone or tablet to see anything ,with the Yuneec you have it all in one unit , the way prices are coming down next year the H will come down in price also .
Yeah, great point. Is the screen quality pretty legit?

Thanks for having me btw! :)

Yeah, great point. Is the screen quality pretty legit?
the screen is as clear as the screen on your computer it is that good , the only thing is the camera has a lag time in transmission from the camera to the TX . as you can see from the posted video's , that is what you will see on your TX screen only with the lag in time .

the screen is as clear as the screen on your computer it is that good , the only thing is the camera has a lag time in transmission from the camera to the TX . as you can see from the posted video's , that is what you will see on your TX screen only with the lag in time .
It's really that good?? **** I am so torn... lol

Everyone seems to think the 4 is the way to go, but you got me thinkin... hahah

I almost got the 3, but I read about how many upgraded features there were:
DJI Phantom 4 Drone Review - Drone Lifestyle

They got me :D

do you know any one that has a Q4K and St 10 or a hobby shop where you can see all the features of the Q and the ST 10 ? . the P4 from what i understand is a good quad but you need a smart phone or tablet to see any thing from the P4 camera. technology is a great thing and every year they come out with something better . the Q is a 500 class and the P i believe is a 350 class , it just meand the Q is a little larger .

Last edited:
Another question, do you currently have any other drones or RC aircraft?
If not, possibly consider getting something cheaper to gain some experience on. Would hate to see you take a new $500 drone and smash it into a tree on the first flight. Been there done that with my 686.
If you guys have flown other things, then try and find an AMA flying field in your area. You will most likely find flyers with the drones you are interested in there. For me I went with Yuneec because I liked the all in one controller, nothing else to buy or lug around. No matter what you buy, the others will have a feature, or do something better, and vise versa.
Be forewarned, the DRONE BUG is easily contracted and very hard to get rid of.
You will have to let us know what you end up getting.

Another question, do you currently have any other drones or RC aircraft?
If not, possibly consider getting something cheaper to gain some experience on. Would hate to see you take a new $500 drone and smash it into a tree on the first flight. Been there done that with my 686.
If you guys have flown other things, then try and find an AMA flying field in your area. You will most likely find flyers with the drones you are interested in there. For me I went with Yuneec because I liked the all in one controller, nothing else to buy or lug around. No matter what you buy, the others will have a feature, or do something better, and vise versa.
Be forewarned, the DRONE BUG is easily contracted and very hard to get rid of.
You will have to let us know what you end up getting.
hi
yes i have a Blade 350 QX that i still fly , it was my entry Quad into this hobby fly's great and you can pick one up cheap now but remember the new technology won't be in it . to be honest the new and better Q's and H's are real easy to fly 99 out of 100 will be perfect hopefully you wont get that one with a defect .
fly safe

NRR,
Sorry, I should have clarified, that question was directed towards Quadman. Some of the older non GPS birds were built tough. My 686 still flys, I need to replace one of the motors, have smashed it into more trees, one flyaway, never broke a prop, did smash a landing skid. Perfect make your mistakes on bird.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval