Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Hop Skip and WATCH OUT!!!

Reaction score
Ive had my Typhoon H about 2 weeks now and Love it. Except for when it decides to "Hop" when landing. It seems
That my softest landings are the trouble ones. Ive seen alot o people Hand Land and even some using the Motor
switch to Land. Im lucky cuz today it Hoped skipped then over on its side into the wheel o my car. I broke
3 props and a horizontal landing skid broke, but no other damage. I found a ink pen tube that fits perfectly
inside the carbon rods so i put a little epoxy on it and should be ok to fly for now.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG WHEN LANDING?YUN00107[00_00_09][20200828-165120].png

One common mistake is trying to land with the "Rabbit/Turtle" slider in "Turtle" mode. Folks think moving the slider to down reduces power, and "Hey, I'm trying to land, right?". Nope. That's not how the slider operates. It does not exactly limit power. It limits deviation from center. When the rate slider is on bottom, yes, it limits how much "UP" there is. But it also limits how much "DOWN" there is, meaning you are trying to land, but the props can't idle all the way down. That leaves you a lot closer to neutral buoyancy than you should be. The result is a greater tendency to hop and skip. Especially if there is any breeze at all.
Always remember to put the rate slider at full up when landing.

One common mistake is trying to land with the "Rabbit/Turtle" slider in "Turtle" mode. Folks think moving the slider to down reduces power, and "Hey, I'm trying to land, right?". Nope. That's not how the slider operates. It does not exactly limit power. It limits deviation from center. When the rate slider is on bottom, yes, it limits how much "UP" there is. But it also limits how much "DOWN" there is, meaning you are trying to land, but the props can't idle all the way down. That leaves you a lot closer to neutral buoyancy than you should be. The result is a greater tendency to hop and skip. Especially if there is any breeze at all.

I noticed that it actually helps since it also reacts way less to the terrain. While beeing in Rabbit mode it racts very violently if the terrain is uneven.

Reactions: Richie
Thank you so much. I guess it would also cause less Downforce in turtle mode, therefor not keeping it on the ground.

I noticed that it actually helps since it also reacts way less to the terrain. While beeing in Rabbit mode it racts very violently if the terrain is uneven.
The bounce is caused by the props not being able to slow down enough to actually overcome lift. With the rate slider in “turtle” position it limits the throttle a range of 20 to 80. In “rabbit” position the range is 0 to 100 thus allowing the props to idle down much more and reduce the ability to try and take off again.

Use the double tap on the Volts icon to get to the channel output display and watch Ch1 as you move the throttle with the rate slider in full up and down positions. It will validate what I just explained.

Thank you so much. I guess it would also cause less Downforce in turtle mode, therefor not keeping it on the ground.
The props do not create any down force. There is only a reduction in lift when using down throttle. Rabbit position allows greater lift and reduction of lift.

The bounce is caused by the props not being able to slow down enough to actually overcome lift. With the rate slider in “turtle” position it limits the throttle a range of 20 to 80. In “rabbit” position the range is 0 to 100 thus allowing the props to idle down much more and reduce the ability to try and take off again.

Use the double tap on the Volts icon to get to the channel output display and watch Ch1 as you move the throttle with the rate slider in full up and down positions. It will validate what I just explained.

I believe what you said but I have the impression that it has also an influence on the rates (PID). When I once landed on an uneven dirt road the Typhoon H just flipped over. It did not cause any damage but I have been very cautious afterwards. At least mine reacts very violently if the landing surface is not 100% horizontal. It works way better if I land in Turtle Mode.

I've never used turtle mode so dont really know much about it, also I can't get my head around rough landings with the H, or H+ because I've never experienced it ? Sorry but its always smooth, and never a lean as in wanting to tip over, and I've landed on the back pack, the bed of my truck, even a milk crate, not to mention rocky rough services which were uneven ? So what I'm getting at there has to be something at play, or going on ? If you want to experience a tough lander try the 500 ? I wish you the best in future landings.

Reactions: WTFDproject
As can implied by the responses by @jannislh and @johnnyb57, Yes. There are a host of issues that can result in problem landings with the TH (or any other drone). The issues include hardware problems, firmware problems, calibration issues, landing techniques and a couple of interesting physics issues. The most common problem, and the easiest to address is the rabbit/turtle as described above. I would suggest trying that first, and then we can move to other issues based on your results.

By the way, the second most common issue is controller calibration. If you have already done a controller calibration we really should discuss that. If you have NOT done a controller calibration, then DON'T until we can discuss it.

I've never used turtle mode so dont really know much about it, also I can't get my head around rough landings with the H, or H+ because I've never experienced it ?
@Richie,
Please note this part of @johnnyb57 's post can be rephrased to "I've never landed in Turtle, and I've never had a problem". @johnnyb57 agrees this is an accurate interpretation, and it supports the view of trying the rabbit mode landing before moving on to other possible issues.

Note also it is important to keep the throttle full down until the motors are stopped. Letting the stick go returns it to center (neutral buoyancy) position, and that also creates a "floating" effect.

As can implied by the responses by @jannislh and @johnnyb57, Yes. There are a host of issues that can result in problem landings with the TH (or any other drone). The issues include hardware problems, firmware problems, calibration issues, landing techniques and a couple of interesting physics issues. The most common problem, and the easiest to address is the rabbit/turtle as described above. I would suggest trying that first, and then we can move to other issues based on your results.

By the way, the second most common issue is controller calibration. If you have already done a controller calibration we really should discuss that. If you have NOT done a controller calibration, then DON'T until we can discuss it.
cOOL tHANKS, iLL GET BACK AT YA

Kinda confirming - I've only done one manual stick-down landing, and it was in turtle mode. It bounced slightly off the grass then settled down, then started tipping backwards... Fortunately I was paying attention and caught it with a quick full throttle back up to about 2m and tried again - this time hitting the disarm button as it floated on the tips of the grass instead of pushing it down into the grass.
Every other manual landing I've done the same disarm thing without troubles, but have tended towards automatic landings mostly (I tried a full return to home the other day for the first time and was surprised how fast it went ?)

I bought new props today and had nice landings with the "Power down before ya hit the ground" technique

I bought new props today and had nice landings with the "Power down before ya hit the ground" technique

I just hand catch mine every time. Keeps it from falling over or worse. I do that with all my drones and since I started hand catching them on landing I've not broken one prop or had one rough landing. Just hover at eye level let GPS stabilize and lock it in place then just grab a leg ( not an arm) and press the motor shutoff. Works like a charm!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430