Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

HOW TO AVOID BIRD ATTACKS!

Reaction score
Hey guys. Well it seems living by the Pacific Ocean has it's hazards for my newfound hobby! Twice this week I was pestered by aggressive seagulls. I had to do a rapid climb in hare mode to avoid colliding with a huge male seagull. I was not flying anywhere near nesting grounds or known seagull hang outs. They just appeared out of nowhere!

I assumed a noisy machine with bright LEDS and other scary sounds would keep birds away from my quadcopter but I was wrong! You know the spiral marking on turbofan jet engines? They are suppose to scare birds away from being ingested into the engine! LOL Are there any gadgets or tips you can recommend aside from not flying by the water anymore?
seagull_3382846b.jpg

155373940-aircraft-engine-gettyimages.jpg

Ya its called a shotgun and if you get out numbered you should invest in one of these for your own personal safety :)

View attachment 2275

Trust me I have thought of that. Even a pellet guy may help. Unfortunately discharging a firearm within city limits (I think in any major city) is illegal - straight to jail card! I wonder if seagulls are federally protected here? Darn flying cockroaches! :p

Funny story. I flew my 4K drone couple days ago at 175.5 ft, two birds notice the drone flying and thought it was coming close. They came out trying to grab it. Luckily I noticed and quickly brought it back to the ground. Those birds were angry, literally. :D

Last edited:
Terrific shot of the seagull though! LOL I only worry about larger raptors. I saw a video of a hawk grabbing a UAV from the air and flying off. Now I have nightmares about it.

Reactions: m5zealot
Here in Canada if you shoot one your off to jail. *** **** hawks as we call them :)

But what if we arm the drone with a shotgun , darn i see the problem
The drone must be on GPS else its displaying that newton law

Nah i just leave gps off and then ..... run no flyfly fast :confused:

I was flying two days ago by the coast again because it's been so hot here in San Diego lately. This area is just outside the no fly zone from my home in downtown. I was pestered by another seagull, came out of nowhere right before I took this shot. I just put it in hare mode and shot the quad straight up to about 400 ft. I think I startled the sucker because I'm sure he's never seen another bird do that before! 13912545_10206615427534287_1977984956338033392_n.jpg

There's a solution to the bird problem; simply replace the CGO3 with Sperry Ball Turret™, available at well stocked retailer near you - I hope... ;)

Nice photo it looks to be in HDR what did you do to your photo in editing, thanks

There's a solution to the bird problem; simply replace the CGO3 with Sperry Ball Turret™, available at well stocked retailer near you - I hope... ;)

LOL~ I want one now please! A fellow pilot I met the other day put eye/teeth decals on his Inspire 1. He swore it keeps all types of birds away.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop