Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Improving GPS accuracy?

Reaction score
A free ap on my IPhone can do latitude to XX.XXXXXX and longitude to -XX.XXXXXX while the GPS in the Yuneec Q500 data file gets 1 less digit of latitude and 2 less of longitude. Is it possible to get better accuracy from our drones?

Well, if you travel 15 degrees, 20 minutes, 3 seconds and still can't find your drone, I dunno what to say...

Narrowing it down to the nanosecond isn't going to help you find something, unless you lost a 0.02ct diamond out of a setting and it's life-or-death that you find it, and it has a GPS tracker. Other than that, if you can't find something the size of a child's shoe with that level of detail, it's just not meant to be.

Well, if you travel 15 degrees, 20 minutes, 3 seconds and still can't find your drone, I dunno what to say...
Narrowing it down to the nanosecond isn't going to help you find something, unless you lost a 0.02ct diamond out of a setting and it's life-or-death that you find it, and it has a GPS tracker. Other than that, if you can't find something the size of a child's shoe with that level of detail, it's just not meant to be.
Clever.
You're right. Accuracy to a couple of meters is all that is really needed. Station keeping is more a function of the accelerometers that the GPS.

Clever.
You're right. Accuracy to a couple of meters is all that is really needed. Station keeping is more a function of the accelerometers that the GPS.

Perhaps you have never searched in overgrowth. I searched the area that the plane is in several times last year. I was probably less than 10 feet away from it but didn't see it. Pinpoint accuracy is what I am looking for. So, that being said, is it possible to improve the accuracy of the GPS on the Q?

Did you look in the trees? What's not on the ground must be above it.

The accuracy of the GPS on the Q is probably already there, it just needs to be transmitted. Fly it out to a specific test marker like your car in the driveway, take a photo, then check the telemetry log on the SD card in the transmitter and see if it shows where the picture was taken. Otherwise, someone here posted an app they used that shows detailed Lat/Long/Elev on their video.

Another possibility is that what you're seeing from the air is an illusion of light and shadow, which is why you can't see it on the ground.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dubiousflyer