Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Is the Q500 Hard to Fly?

Reaction score
Hi all, I am looking into getting a Q500 and have been watching a lot of YouTube videos on this model. It looks like it flys well, but looks a bit more complicated than the Breeze I have been flying. Also, the Breeze has the auto takeoff feature and I see the Q500 doesn’t. I have seen people having issuers with taking off so just wondering if that is an issue. Thanks for the input!

Hi all, I am looking into getting a Q500 and have been watching a lot of YouTube videos on this model. It looks like it flys well, but looks a bit more complicated than the Breeze I have been flying. Also, the Breeze has the auto takeoff feature and I see the Q500 doesn’t. I have seen people having issuers with taking off so just wondering if that is an issue. Thanks for the input!
The Q500 is not hard to fly...it's a "breeze"

I went from the Breeze to the Typhoon H and although it is a somewhat more complex system it is actually easier to fly. The ST-16 Controller is much more professional and controls the aircraft much more precisely. The Q500 series is the baby brother of the TH series and is a very capable machine using the ST10+ Controller and the CGO3 camera.

I have two to Q 500s , they fly like a dream , I can tell you be very careful not to over tighten the propellers , in fact don’t tighten them at all ,that is the only flaw with that machine. The aluminum female threads of the propellers and the aluminum male threads of the motor post with all that torque twisting at Lightning quick RPM changes is a very bad design I’ve stripped out all the propellers and two or three motor posts even after being super super careful putting them on . The only fix for that design would’ve been to make them out of forged aluminum . Oh yeah one more thing , make sure you take off in angle mode . Yea the intent was for them to be self tightening .

Reactions: Bravescoach
I have two to Q 500s , they fly like a dream , I can tell you be very careful not to over tighten the propellers , in fact don’t tighten them at all ,that is the only flaw with that machine. The aluminum female threads of the propellers and the aluminum male threads of the motor post with all that torque twisting at Lightning quick RPM changes is a very bad design I’ve stripped out all the propellers and two or three motor posts even after being super super careful putting them on . The only fix for that design would’ve been to make them out of forged aluminum . Oh yeah one more thing , make sure you take off in angle mode . Yea the intent was for them to be self tightening .

Thank you. Makes me a bit nervous about the blades stripping out. I don’t want to be in the air and have it crash. I really like what I have seen about the q500 and the video quality and stabilisation. Hard to know what to do....

Thank you. Makes me a bit nervous about the blades stripping out. I don’t want to be in the air and have it crash. I really like what I have seen about the q500 and the video quality and stabilisation. Hard to know what to do....
Honestly your best bet is to save a little extra money and get the typhoon H pro or plus . If you do get the Q500 just try to keep the blades on it, there was a company that made a case for the Q 500 that would let you keep the blades on Minuteman cases . I flew the crap out of mine and I was always taking the blades on an off that is also not a great idea .

Reactions: DoomMeister
Honestly your best bet is to save a little extra money and get the typhoon H pro or plus . If you do get the Q500 just try to keep the blades on it, there was a company that made a case for the Q 500 that would let you keep the blades on Minuteman cases . I flew the crap out of mine and I was always taking the blades on an off that is also not a great idea .
Also the updating on the Q 500 is more of a pain in the @ss vs the TYPHOON H

Yeah my very first take off I tried to do it in smart mode not realizing smart mode has a built-in Geo fencing feature the craft immediately tries to fly away from the controller because it is Geo fenced somewhere around 10 or 15 feet I can’t remember . Also I was standing too close and the craft recognize my controller as being on the other side the thing took off and flew straight towards my head it was hilarious I got real lucky and caught it thankfully nobody was watching .

I Have 2 500s the original and the G they are great birds and very easy to fly you will love it . But like. flying eyeball says try if u can take the wait save that money and get a typhoon H .. you won’t regret it it is awesome.... either way you will be happy good luck with your Decision..

Reactions: DoomMeister
I also have two Q500s the 500+ and the TyphoonG. The + is 2.5 years old and still on the original blades. The camera wasn't too good,so got a GoPro gimbal for it. It has flown many missions and produced some great shots/videos.The second one I got was for replacement or spare before they finish production. Read the instruction manual and take care until you get used to it. I never fly in Smart Mode, it's a common rookie mistake to take off and crash and always hand catch when finished. See here on youtube 3 videos I did where aerial and ground has been used to great effect Pegasus Pegasus

Last edited:
I also have two Q500s the 500+ and the TyphoonG. The + is 2.5 years old and still on the original blades. The camera wasn't too good,so got a GoPro gimbal for it. It has flown many missions and produced some great shots/videos.The second one I got was for replacement or spare before they finish production. Read the instruction manual and take care until you get used to it. I never fly in Smart Mode, it's a common rookie mistake to take off and crash and always hand catch when finished. See here on youtube 3 videos I did where aerial and ground has been used to great effect Pegasus Pegasus

View attachment 14686

Is there a case you can get where you can keep the blades on? It sounds like taking the blades on and off is where issues occur...

Is there a case you can get where you can keep the blades on? It sounds like taking the blades on and off is where issues occur...
I haven't seen a case that will take it with props on, it would be too big to carry - you could adapt a backpack of some sort. I'm looking at doing this. There is this one of course yuneec Typhoon: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories I usually just carry mine after getting close by car. I don't think taking the props on/off is a problem - it's how you handle them.

If prop attachments are aluminum to aluminum, a thin film of anti seize grease will help keep them from locking together. I believe there are O-rings that are used there also. They should be changed if they are getting worn to keep the prop from bottoming out on the motor.

I haven't seen a case that will take it with props on, it would be too big to carry - you could adapt a backpack of some sort. I'm looking at doing this. There is this one of course yuneec Typhoon: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories I usually just carry mine after getting close by car. I don't think taking the props on/off is a problem - it's how you handle them.
Minuteman cases facebook14744

I also have the Q500 4K, and haven't had a bit of trouble with blades. I take mine off after every days' use, and check them between flights occasionally. The Q500 flies like a dream, is easy to take off and handles wind very well ( a Necessity in Southern Alberta). I recently updated my fleet with an H, but haven't had a chance to fly yet.... Winter...Far too cold...! Getting restless as Spring approaches.
All geared up and no chance to fly?

I'm new to this sport just this month and I can't imagine anything being easier to fly.

Regarding the suggestion that the threads may strip on the blades, I've seen several threads of the blades coming off during flight, which is obviously a major crash. I'd be more worried about that than threads stripping which I haven't heard before now in my browsing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annamiller