Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Is there a log mode on the C23 camera?

Reaction score
I've tryed to search on the forum but didn't find anything about that...

As some of you know, a lot of brands actually provide log mode (S-log for Sony, V-log for Panasonic) for video recording in REC709 Gamut, that widens the dynamic range to avoid burned highlights or black lowlights. Then, to display real dynamic range and colors, you must use a LUT converter when processing the video, basically a conversion table to "restore" real colors and dynamic.

Does such a mode exist on the C23 camera? If not, did some of you heard about that from Yuneec? Can we expect such an update in some new firmware?

Having such a S mode would be a great enhancement for video image quality.

I've tryed to search on the forum but didn't find anything about that...

As some of you know, a lot of brands actually provide log mode (S-log for Sony, V-log for Panasonic) for video recording in REC709 Gamut, that widens the dynamic range to avoid burned highlights or black lowlights. Then, to display real dynamic range and colors, you must use a LUT converter when processing the video, basically a conversion table to "restore" real colors and dynamic.

Does such a mode exist on the C23 camera? If not, did some of you heard about that from Yuneec? Can we expect such an update in some new firmware?

Having such a S mode would be a great enhancement for video image quality.
The mode approaching S-log and V-log is the original setting. To my knowledge the LUT converter does not exist.

Approaching maybe but not close to it. If you compare a brut RE 709 Gamut record and a C23 Natural mode record, you can see that it's really not the same process.

Creating the LOG capability will rest with Yuneec. Let them know of your need for one. All pilots who are serious videographers would likely benefit from it as well. Those who aren't won't likely care.

Yuneec did provide DNG capability for still photos so conceivably they may have the skills to create "Y-log" for video.

I'm sure they have skills even .dng is an Adobe norm they are using. I don't care if they would like to use an existing Log norm or if they want to develop their own Y-Log as long as they offer one for the C23 camera. ;-)

Steve, not exactly. Lens profile already exists for the C23 caméra and corrects geometric distorsion, etc.
A Log mode + Lut allows to widen dynamic range when recording a video, by flattening the recoded signal (Log), then restoring dynamic range when processing the rush (with Lut).

A LUT (Look Up Table) is used for color grading especially in video. It changes color values from one set of numbers to another. Many that are available will enable the video to take on the look of a specific film stock or some color scheme that was favored in a specific movie by applying the LUT.

This is best accomplished by having a starting point that has a wide dynamic range of colors and luminosity. That's where the Log comes in. Using a Log mode will produce a video that looks quite bland until a LUT is applied in post processing.

In some ways it might be analogous to shooting stills in RAW but its not a good analogy.

Hope this helps.

LUTs — Color Grading Central

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frida Gold