Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Is there a method of testing Yuneec batteries?

Reaction score
I had situation where one of my batteries developed a slight (very slight) bulging on the upper and lower flat portions of the housing. It is so slight, that you really can only feel it when you compare 2 batteries side by side (one in each hand). I became a little worried and contacted Yuneec. It was under warranty, so they sent me a replacement. I had heard that Yuneec was rather slow on shipping out replacement parts, so I wasn't expecting it for several days.

Come to find out the battery was delivered 5 days ago. I didn't find the package until today due to the ups driver placing something on top of the package to protect it from rain and I have been getting in late from work. Now the battery has been on my front porch (Central Florida) for 5 days straight. Since it was covered, it wasn't in direct sunlight, but it does get hot during the day.
When I opened the package the battery was not hot, but was a little warm when I opened it.
The new battery also has a slight (again very slight) bulge in the same location as the first one.

Is this a normal circumstance for these batteries.
Is there a way to test out a battery to find out if it is faulty?

Have anyone else's batteries developed the slight bulge?
If so, this would definitely allay my fears.

It makes me very nervous that my drone could fall out of the sky due to a faulty battery.

I had situation where one of my batteries developed a slight (very slight) bulging on the upper and lower flat portions of the housing. It is so slight, that you really can only feel it when you compare 2 batteries side by side (one in each hand). I became a little worried and contacted Yuneec. It was under warranty, so they sent me a replacement. I had heard that Yuneec was rather slow on shipping out replacement parts, so I wasn't expecting it for several days.

Come to find out the battery was delivered 5 days ago. I didn't find the package until today due to the ups driver placing something on top of the package to protect it from rain and I have been getting in late from work. Now the battery has been on my front porch (Central Florida) for 5 days straight. Since it was covered, it wasn't in direct sunlight, but it does get hot during the day.
When I opened the package the battery was not hot, but was a little warm when I opened it.
The new battery also has a slight (again very slight) bulge in the same location as the first one.

It makes me very nervous that my drone could fall out of the sky due to a faulty battery.

Did they not give you a tracking number? Also, can you remember any reason for causing the first battery to bulge?

Can you take and post a photo comparing the two or three?

Reactions: abinder
I've had no bulging but my higher end charger reveals a disturbing disparity between the cells in three of my 11 batteries...so unbalanced that the Graupner charger cannot balance and will not charge them. It is interesting to note however that the Yuneec supplied charger still charges them but I won't use them for flying. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has returned batteries to Yuneec for exchange. The batteries probably have less than 15 or 18 cycles. I'm wondering if this is what caused a few H's to "drop from the sky".

I've had no bulging but my higher end charger reveals a disturbing disparity between the cells in three of my 11 batteries...so unbalanced that the Graupner charger cannot balance and will not charge them. It is interesting to note however that the Yuneec supplied charger still charges them but I won't use them for flying. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has returned batteries to Yuneec for exchange. The batteries probably have less than 15 or 18 cycles. I'm wondering if this is what caused a few H's to "drop from the sky".

Very plausible. Instability or failure in LiPo cells usually presents itself similarly to a failure of a SSD, in most cases instantly with little to no warning. Curious if logs show a voltage drop just before they hit the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curious as to what the cell voltages on that battery are?
In any case, bulges in lipo is not good on a flying machine. I personally would not fly it. :(

I've had no bulging but my higher end charger reveals a disturbing disparity between the cells in three of my 11 batteries...so unbalanced that the Graupner charger cannot balance and will not charge them. It is interesting to note however that the Yuneec supplied charger still charges them but I won't use them for flying.

Hmm, very interesting. Curious...after the stock charger finishes them have you then checked them on the G. charger, like for voltage, etc.? Is it just one of the four cells and can you tell it's voltage vs the three others?

This LIPO thing is puzzling, many of them, in general, seem as stable as Grandma, yet sometimes a fly gets in the ointment, as the Note 7, etc.
Thanks, MB.

Did they not give you a tracking number? Also, can you remember any reason for causing the first battery to bulge?
Yes, but never had a chance to check on it.
The first battery just started after about 8-9 uses.
I have flown with it many times with no issues.

Can you take and post a photo comparing the two or three?
You wouldn't be able to tell in the picture.

Maybe "bulging" is more extreme than what I mean.
More like "slight swelling".
I just want to be careful in case it is a sign of it going bad.
The only way you can really detect it is if you feel the flat surface where the Yuneec logo is on the top.
When you rub your thumb back and forth, there is a slight "rounding" of the surface.
My other batteries are perfectly flat.

I am assuming it is from heat. All of my lipo batteries get hot after a flight.
Is it normal for lipos, to expand slightly after it's first few usages?
The yuneec batteries are just like your regular lipos, but encased in a hard plastic shell.
I have used regular lipos in the past (turnigy, zippy....) and they didn't have a plastic shell, but would expand slightly after a few uses.
I would think this to be normal, but will the compression of being inside a plastic shell case a problem for the lipo?

I own a lipo charger.
Where can I get an attachment to hook up a Yuneec battery to it?

Speaking of the Yuneec charger....when you charge a battery does only the red light blink or the red/green. I have the feeling that my batteries (3) with less than 15 cycles on it don't last very long under flight conditions

I have 3 batteries, on all 3, I can feel the uneven surface when running my fingers over the sticker that reads POWER 4. I think what you are feeling is the actual battery pack or a label that was not evenly put in place. My newest battery had one cell 0.05 volts lower than the rest. my Hitec charger would not bring it up to par with the other 3 cells. Put it into discharge mode, brought the battery down to 15 volts, put it into the the Yuneec stock charger. Stock charger kept flashing BALANCING, 30 minutes later all 4 cells at 4.2 volts. Go figure. I will watch it closely the first few cycles.

Speaking of the Yuneec charger....when you charge a battery does only the red light blink or the red/green. I have the feeling that my batteries (3) with less than 15 cycles on it don't last very long under flight conditions
Red. They are hard to plug in sometimes. Also, if bat is almost full the Gn may do as you say, but not for long.

The light supposed to blink red.
If both the red and green are blinking then one of your cells is not charging as fast the others.
It is having to charge just that cell to bring up it even to the others.

I have 3 batteries, on all 3, I can feel the uneven surface when running my fingers over the sticker that reads POWER 4. I think what you are feeling is the actual battery pack or a label that was not evenly put in place. My newest battery had one cell 0.05 volts lower than the rest. my Hitec charger would not bring it up to par with the other 3 cells. Put it into discharge mode, brought the battery down to 15 volts, put it into the the Yuneec stock charger. Stock charger kept flashing BALANCING, 30 minutes later all 4 cells at 4.2 volts. Go figure. I will watch it closely the first few cycles.
Mine doesn't have a sticker. It is embossed on the surface of the battery.
You can hard even feel the lettering.
The swelling is over the whole flat part even where the label is not.

This is the charger that I have.

NEW IMAX UPGRADED B6AC 80W MULTI FUNCTIONAL SMART BALANCE CHARGER DISCHARGER US

Would this charger work with the adapter?

Also, is this a decent charger or does anyone have any other recommendations.

I try to do everything by the book, just to protect myself from breaking warranty protocol.

It would be great to be able to actually see the individual cell voltage and to have the discharge capability.

This is the charger that I have.

NEW IMAX UPGRADED B6AC 80W MULTI FUNCTIONAL SMART BALANCE CHARGER DISCHARGER US

Would this charger work with the adapter?

Also, is this a decent charger or does anyone have any other recommendations.

I try to do everything by the book, just to protect myself from breaking warranty protocol.

It would be great to be able to actually see the individual cell voltage and to have the discharge capability.

It will work with the adapter.

I use IChargers. The one you have looks to use the same firmware. While charging in balance mode, press the Inc button to see the individual cell voltage.

I find these batteries don't like fast charging; >1c

The light supposed to blink red.
If both the red and green are blinking then one of your cells is not charging as fast the others.
It is having to charge just that cell to bring up it even to the others.

I usually keep an eye on the charger but I have only once seen the "balancing" light come on. So naturally I wonder if it charges/balances correctly. I don't have a cable to check it on my other lipo charger

I run the HitecX2 charger for charging and balancing. I check my battery cells IR individually each time I charge and record results using the turnigy 5 in 1 battery checker/monitor . For the H batteries I use the QuadCam connector. I see Frank at Carolina Dronz now carries a similar connector. Hope this helps.

Cheers

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval