Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

ISO Feedback on Typhoon H

inspire with x5 is good for tv, because you have much better sensor and low light is possible and indoor room position is better too... so if it's possible better invest in that system...

another important thing is you have with the typhoon h a big latency... in two ways. the control have a delay and the picture transmission too. inspire with lightbridge give you accurate control without delay and the video transmission is very stable ...

I still like the idea of the typhoon h. but the quality management is bad and the software is buggy. here we see clear that DJI is some years longer on work...

Forget it the Lag on my Ipad with lightbridge is bigger then the lag of the CGO3+

Marnix

I must admit I've never noticed serious lag with the Typhoon, but then again I've not got anything to compare it with. Eric does seem to have had a lot of problems with his drone though.

Having said that most broadcasters have a machine that can spot iffy pictures when they check specs for transmission.
Thats why I highlighted my needs for broadcast and the relative frame rates above. I've fixed, for the lack of a better term footage shot for TV commercials where a business hired a photographer for a production job and they didn't review the broadcast requirements for frame rate. Those are always fun, but I'm not seeing where the CGO3+ cannot deliver broadcast frame rates, unless I'm missing something.

If you would like to use the CGO3+ you need at least to change the lens
for example with the PixAero 3.77mm f2.8 16mp (108USD)
and hope they will update to camera so we can user a higher bitrate.

O yes if i had the money i would go for the tornade H920

Marnix
Speaking of the 920 does anyone have any practical feedback on the 920? I see something is coming for the 920 here soon, possibly an upgrade kit to help with some of the hardware issues?

Nope that camera is a non-starter, just like all their other cameras
Oh go away you bore....It would not be a non starter for me, that was my post.
@Agent K this black magic camera could make a very interesting option @999$ if a suitable affordable gimbal for the 920 was available, plus they have a hugh suite of affordable broadcast hardware to compliment it.

Reactions: Agent K and Rayray
Oh go away you bore....It would not be a non starter for me, that was my post.
@Agent K this black magic camera could make a very interesting option @999$ if a suitable affordable gimbal for the 920 was available, plus they have a hugh suite of affordable broadcast hardware to compliment it.

No it's a none starter the 1080p camera will record internal but lacks the dynamic range and bit depth to be full broadcast and the 4K camera requires an external recorder

It honestly sounds like you're (the OP) trying to rationalize why the CG03 and the TH is the best choice. It simply is not, for YOUR application description,but if that's what you want, then go for it. It's your quarters.

For your description and implied budget, the Inspire with an X5 RAW is the only thing that's even inbounds. Several here have reinforced that answer because it is the answer. You can always wait to see what's new tomorrow. I'm sure there will be something better. Eventually.

Practical feedback to the 920 and more:
Hi,
my business is to shoot aerial fotos and producing videos for big companies in Germany. And I own a hobby shop since 25 years. I sell DJI, Yuneec, Walkera and other drones.
I use the Typhoon H for easy video shootings and the Tornado 920 with Sony NEX7 for photos or short high quality video sequences. Why not the Inspire?
The TH is very very easy to handle. Small for transportation and very fast to built up. The video quality is good (I use the 3.97 lense from Peau), the copter is very stable and it´s a relaxing flight, with minimal delay (about 0,5 sec.). Why not the Pantom 4 or Inspire? Because of the transmitter! It feels like a toy. So small, so cheap, not practical for me. If DJI would sell the Phantom or Inspire with the ST16 or ST24, it could be my choice.
The Tornado is very reliable. The flight time is about 10 Minutes with 25% remaining battery capacity. It´s a workaholic and a honest copter. Not more!
I recommend the CG04 Version. Its easy to handle and it makes high quality videos.
I use the 603 Gimbal with my NEX but its very tricky to balance it. If you want to change the objective, you must change the weights. Its not good for hectic shootings.
If you have enough money, you have to buy the ASC Falcon 8. Thats the best on the market. Small, best quality, best service - 40.000$. I worked with it a short time and it was great!
OK, I mean, if you want to trust in your copter, take the 920 / CG04 set with ST12+ST24. There comes a new version with quick release props and some new features (POI, waypoint..). If the video quality is not so important, you may use the Typhoon H. Than you can buy the Peau lense to eliminate distortion. Thats the cheapest possibility to get good (but not the best) quality.
Greetings, Chris

Reactions: Agent K and Tuna
It honestly sounds like you're (the OP) trying to rationalize why the CG03 and the TH is the best choice. It simply is not, for YOUR application description,but if that's what you want, then go for it. It's your quarters.

For your description and implied budget, the Inspire with an X5 RAW is the only thing that's even inbounds. Several here have reinforced that answer because it is the answer. You can always wait to see what's new tomorrow. I'm sure there will be something better. Eventually.
Well said and when I look back at my post this seems like a very true statement. When I review the Inspire or DJI as a company I have a few major issues with their business model, hardware, and customer service.

1. When you look at overall cost to equipment you have to add the additional costs of adding an apple device on a cellular network $400 - $1000 in additional cost plus the $120 for data. $520 to $1120 x 3 drones over the first year is a lot of additional cost.
  2. From what I'm reading (not entirely certain anyone can elaborate) the batteries aren't forwards or backwards compatible on any of their offerings? If I were a Phantom owner this would make me bleed from my eyes.
  3. Their customer service is slow or not existent, where as Yuneec is helpful and fast when determining the cause of a problem that may or may not be under warranty.
Practical feedback to the 920 and more:
Hi,
my business is to shoot aerial fotos and producing videos for big companies in Germany. And I own a hobby shop since 25 years. I sell DJI, Yuneec, Walkera and other drones.
I use the Typhoon H for easy video shootings and the Tornado 920 with Sony NEX7 for photos or short high quality video sequences. Why not the Inspire?
The TH is very very easy to handle. Small for transportation and very fast to built up. The video quality is good (I use the 3.97 lense from Peau), the copter is very stable and it´s a relaxing flight, with minimal delay (about 0,5 sec.). Why not the Pantom 4 or Inspire? Because of the transmitter! It feels like a toy. So small, so cheap, not practical for me. If DJI would sell the Phantom or Inspire with the ST16 or ST24, it could be my choice.
The Tornado is very reliable. The flight time is about 10 Minutes with 25% remaining battery capacity. It´s a workaholic and a honest copter. Not more!
I recommend the CG04 Version. Its easy to handle and it makes high quality videos.
I use the 603 Gimbal with my NEX but its very tricky to balance it. If you want to change the objective, you must change the weights. Its not good for hectic shootings.
If you have enough money, you have to buy the ASC Falcon 8. Thats the best on the market. Small, best quality, best service - 40.000$. I worked with it a short time and it was great!
OK, I mean, if you want to trust in your copter, take the 920 / CG04 set with ST12+ST24. There comes a new version with quick release props and some new features (POI, waypoint..). If the video quality is not so important, you may use the Typhoon H. Than you can buy the Peau lense to eliminate distortion. Thats the cheapest possibility to get good (but not the best) quality.
Greetings, Chris

Hi Chris! As a fellow German "Danke" for the information and feedback on the 920. I agree with you on DJI product after taking a hands on look at both DJI and Yuneec this weekend.

From what I'm seeing in the H they built a copter capable of future expansion to not leave owners in an Apple Inc environment (Disclosure: I have all Apple hardware). I can see the H being upgraded with different camera systems and allow current owners to choose to buy a new drone or purchase the upgraded parts. I see this same pattern with the 920 as well, and soon enough we will see if this pattern falls in line with my suspicion, if so I'll be the proud owner of a 920 and maybe a few H's for light weight work.

Thank you everyone for the great information, I really appreciate all the feedback, just take it easy on me for not wanting to jump on the DJI bandwagon..........just yet....

Well said and when I look back at my post this seems like a very true statement. When I review the Inspire or DJI as a company I have a few major issues with their business model, hardware, and customer service.

1. When you look at overall cost to equipment you have to add the additional costs of adding an apple device on a cellular network $400 - $1000 in additional cost plus the $120 for data. $520 to $1120 x 3 drones over the first year is a lot of additional cost.
  2. From what I'm reading (not entirely certain anyone can elaborate) the batteries aren't forwards or backwards compatible on any of their offerings? If I were a Phantom owner this would make me bleed from my eyes.
  3. Their customer service is slow or not existent, where as Yuneec is helpful and fast when determining the cause of a problem that may or may not be under warranty.

Hi Chris! As a fellow German "Danke" for the information and feedback on the 920. I agree with you on DJI product after taking a hands on look at both DJI and Yuneec this weekend.

From what I'm seeing in the H they built a copter capable of future expansion to not leave owners in an Apple Inc environment (Disclosure: I have all Apple hardware). I can see the H being upgraded with different camera systems and allow current owners to choose to buy a new drone or purchase the upgraded parts. I see this same pattern with the 920 as well, and soon enough we will see if this pattern falls in line with my suspicion, if so I'll be the proud owner of a 920 and maybe a few H's for light weight work.

Thank you everyone for the great information, I really appreciate all the feedback, just take it easy on me for not wanting to jump on the DJI bandwagon..........just yet....

1) Huh? you don't need a separate device for each drone unless you are going to use them simultaneously.
2) H batteries are not compatible with anything but the H and really that's part of the cost of doing business.
3) not exactly true on either manufacture. DJI is getting better while Yuneec seems to be getting worse. DJI though does understand professional use better and has products with more capabilities.

Yuneec built the H on a lot of promises, Like the camera was going to have a 100Mbps data rate.... in reality it has half that at best in a heavily post processed look that is baked in. There is no promise that Yuneec will offer upgraded cameras for the H and honestly that doesn't make economic sense for them. The 920 has its issues including on the camera side a lack of common firmware with the GH4 it's based on. Right now the DJI products are being used on more pro shoots than any other drone available. Why? better cameras and choices in flight control apps. If you are going to be making money at aerials (Or at anything) you need to spend money to make money. The Typhoon H's camera will never pass a broadcast standards and practices check quality wise.

Plenty of shows are using the X5r camera for their aerials, after that you need to jump up to heavy lift ships and start going Alexa Mini and Reds.

Last edited by a moderator:
1) Huh? you don't need a separate device for each drone unless you are going to use them simultaneously.
2) H batteries are not compatible with anything but the H? and really that's part of the cost of doing business.
3) not exactly true on either manufacture. DJI is getting better while Yuneec seems to be getting worse. DJI though does understand professional use better and has products with more capabilities.

Yuneec built the H on a lot of promises, Like the camera was going to have a 100Mbps data rate.... in reality it has half that at best in a heavily post processed look that is baked in. There is no promise that Yuneec will offer upgraded cameras for the H and honestly that doesn't make economic sense for them. The 920 has its issues including on the camera side a lack of common firmware with the GH4 it's based on. Right now the DJI products are being used on more pro shoots than any other drone available. Why? better cameras and choices in flight control apps. If you are going to be making money at aerials (Or at anything) you need to spend money to make money. The Typhoon H's camera will never pass a broadcast standards and practices check quality wise.

Plenty of shows are using the X5r camera for their aerials, after that you need to jump up to heavy lift ships and start going Alexa Mini and Reds.

1. They would be assigned to an employee so in my case they will need it.
2. In the case of the Phantom series IMHO Dji capitalized having proprietary batteries to each drone, didn't leave me with a good impression.
3. I'm sure each have their issues, but more often than not in these boards you see people fingernail biting on when they will ever hear back from DJI.

And your certain the H's wouldn't pass broadcast? Based on spec's alone I'm willing to bet differently if you are :). That still doesn't mean I've committed to either system, I'm thrilled you are encouraging me to reconsider, thats what makes these forums great, and hopefully will not just help me out, but others out there as well confused trying to make the same decision.

1. They would be assigned to an employee so in my case they will need it.
2. In the case of the Phantom series IMHO Dji capitalized having proprietary batteries to each drone, didn't leave me with a good impression.
3. I'm sure each have their issues, but more often than not in these boards you see people fingernail biting on when they will ever hear back from DJI.

And your certain the H's wouldn't pass broadcast? Based on spec's alone I'm willing to bet differently if you are :). That still doesn't mean I've committed to either system, I'm thrilled you are encouraging me to reconsider, thats what makes these forums great, and hopefully will not just help me out, but others out there as well confused trying to make the same decision.

That's not a bet that would be wise to make. Yes I am absolutely positive they won't pass for a few reasons. Yuneecs specs are pie in the sky advertising, they had specs showing that the CGO3+ camera was 100Mbps and it's not. My personal testing has shown that the camera performs below what a GoPro hero 3 is capable of, and the biggest reason I know is that I shoot for feature films and TV shows. (Along with being a presiding board member and technical chairperson of a few industry groups) I was an invited guest at IBC and Cinec both this month in Europe, so yeah I understand the market, the technology and the issues present. The H might be fine for something that is going out to a narrow focus on a web page but it's FAR from broadcast quality

Last edited by a moderator:
camera performs below what a GoPro hero 3 is capable of, and the biggest reason I know is that I shoot for feature films and TV shows.

My my, using a GoPro camera to shoot feature films and TV shows.
BTW, this is not a GP forum.

LOL. Maybe you should use some other cameras and see what the limitations are and what you could actually achieve.

We get it you're. A fan boy
I am a fan because it works great for me
...if you remember I was complaining lots about the camera early on - not a fan boy !!!
- I sent the camera back - got a replacement camera.
The new camera is better than my GoProH4B
The gimbal is more stable than any P I've flown.
It's got a great one piece controller.
It's got motor redundancy.
Parts are easy to swap out if ever damaged.
It's got way way better CS than the company you're a fan boy of.
I can fly it twice the winds any P could handle.
For me, there is nothing not to be a fan of it for.
I have my Nikon and Sony DSLRs and bags of glass and GoPros to understand what is expected from a camera like this, and it far exceeds my expectations.

So dodging my question, you should better learn how to use yours or go get it repaired if there a problem...

Reactions: Agent K and Rayray
That's not a bet that would be wise to make. Yes I am absolutely positive they won't pass for a few reasons. Yuneecs specs are pie in the sky advertising, they had specs showing that the CG)3+ camera was 100Mbps and it's not. My personal testing has shown that the camera performs below what a GoPro hero 3 is capable of, and the biggest reason I know is that I shoot for feature films and TV shows. (Along with being a presiding board member and technical chairperson of a few industry groups) I was an invited guest at IBC and Cinec both this month in Europe, so yeah I understand the market, the technology and the issues present. The H might be fine for something that is going out to a narrow focus on a web page but it's FAR from broadcast quality

You guys are killing me, now that we're all huffing and puffing over our day jobs, I'm interested in something Stig. Looking thru your posts here, and other posts you made, do you own an H? Serious question, no BS, just wondering. Also a secondary question, not so serious, do you wear a white closed face helmet and fire proof racing suit when you go out on your Inspire flights?

Reactions: KBflyer and Rayray

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss