Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

June 1 2019 - New Transport Canada Regulations in effect

I hope that people who do not want to follow the rules sell their drones, but, the cynical side of says that if they were not going to follow the rules, then they will probably just continue flying without getting their certificate, or only flying where they are allowed. Hopefully, a few will be caught and the consequences will shut down the others, or change their opinion and have them follow our new rules.

Last edited:
Yes I totally agree with you guys but I do have issues with the approval of compliant drones. Guess I will need to sell my Yuneec fleet to move into the advanced program

• Sad
Reactions: Murray Martz
The H480, H520 and H Plus (Edit: and Mantis Q) are approved for controlled airspace operations in Canada. At this point no Yuneec or DJI models are approved for "near people" (up to 5m from people) or "over people".

Last edited:
I have seen the market flooded with drones people are selling in Canada now. A lot of not very happy campers now. This is good though because it weeds out the trouble makers, but for some it's not going to be good.

I have no idea why there are unhappy campers, the new rules are ten times better then what we had a year ago.

Reactions: ChuckBridges
I have no idea why there are unhappy campers, the new rules are ten times better then what we had a year ago.
There will always be a (hopefully small) segment of pilots who don't agree with the rules and won't follow them. Hopefully, these rules which IMO are reasonable and sensible will be followed by the majority of RPAS pilots. The RPAS community doesn't need any more bad publicity caused by stupid, reckless flyers.

Reactions: ChuckBridges
Too bad about the Parks though. Some of the most beautiful places in Canada and you can't get any aerial video. Applying for approval is a dead end, unless they have hired you to do video work for them.

I think it would be difficult to get approval to launch/land (key wording) from within a provincial/national park - you would need to talk to the park warden and get written permission. However, as I understand it, you can, with property owner's permission fly outside of a park boundary and aim your camera towards it. ;)

I have flown in the provincial park down the road from me many times. All it takes is talking to the park superintendent. First time I met him he said they frown on UAV flights when the park is busy so that was a no go but has let my fly several times when its not busy. Some provincial park rules are different so look them up.

In most cases, individuals are not permitted to operate (i.e. land) an “aircraft” in a provincial park under the Provincial Parks and Conservation Reserves Act (PPCRA) with the exception of where an Aircraft Landing Authorization has been issued by the Park Superintendent in a provincial park listed under Section 33 of the PPCRA, Ontario Regulation 347/07. In other words one may take off and land outside a park, and can fly over so long as visual sight is maintained.

Last edited:
I have flown in the provincial park down the road from me many times. All it takes is talking to the park superintendent. First time I met him he said they frown on UAV flights when the park is busy so that was a no go but has let my fly several times when its not busy. Some provincial park rules are different so look them up.

In most cases, individuals are not permitted to operate (i.e. land) an “aircraft” in a provincial park under the Provincial Parks and Conservation Reserves Act (PPCRA) with the exception of where an Aircraft Landing Authorization has been issued by the Park Superintendent in a provincial park listed under Section 33 of the PPCRA, Ontario Regulation 347/07. In other words one may take off and land outside a park, and can fly over so long as visual sight is maintained.
What provincial park are you referring to?

What provincial park are you referring to?
Secret, then everyone will want to fly there but its up in Northern Ontario.

Check out a fellow Pilot in my area and you can see great video of the park he did last fall.

Last edited:
Along with having to carry your Basic or Advanced Certificate you also need to have your UAV registered with Transport Canada. Additional piece's of paper or digital copy you will need to produce if asked for by enforcement is a copy of your SOP (standard operating procedure) and your manual for your UAV. Basic and Advanced need to have this when asked for.

The New NRC Airspace Tool is now live.
The map uses colour to identify areas that require additional caution, or are prohibited from drone flights. Areas filled with red are prohibited. Areas filled with yellow require additional caution due to other air traffic. Areas filled with orange require permission from Nav Canada, Parks Canada, National Defence, or an airport operator. Clicking on any shape will present an information window providing further details.
It can be found here:

Last edited:
But that's too awful about the Parks. You are unable to obtain any aerial footage in some of Canada's most breathtaking locations. Requesting approval is pointless unless you have been contracted to produce videos for them.

But that's too awful about the Parks. You are unable to obtain any aerial footage in some of Canada's most breathtaking locations. Requesting approval is pointless unless you have been contracted to produce videos for them.
For those of us that are Canadians, you can get approved, but there are a lot of boxes the feds want checked first to make sure you are responsible first.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval